The Student Room Group

Help me !! I'm looking for a word..

Hello everyone. There's a word im looking for that describes different words which share similar meanings. I know there's one that exists.. acronym..synonym, none of those. I need it for a piece of work im strating. I'd appreciate your help. Or it might just be my imaginantion, and the word might not exist.:redface:

thanks!
it's synonyms, isn't it? :s-smilie:
Reply 2
Are you sure you don't mean synonym?

Edit: Are you thinking of hyponym?
Reply 3
The only word I can think of would be, as you've already said, synonym. I don't think there is another word. But then again I could be wrong.
Sahds
Hello everyone. There's a word im looking for that describes different words which share similar meanings. I know there's one that exists.. acronym..synonym, none of those. I need it for a piece of work im strating. I'd appreciate your help. Or it might just be my imaginantion, and the word might not exist.:redface:

thanks!

Different words that share similar meanings?

The closest I can think of is "synonym" (different words with the same meaning, e.g. "small" and "little"), but you said it's not that.

An antonym is the opposite of a synonym (e.g. "big" is an antonym of "small").

An acronym is a series of letters that stands for something (e.g. TSR).

Are you thinking of "homophone"? Two words that sound the same but have different meanings (e.g. "see" and "sea").

Or it could be a homonym...two words spelled the same but with different meanings ("bark" and "bark").

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I don't think there is another word, other than "synonym". :s-smilie:

EDIT: datr may be right - here:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyponym

In linguistics, a hyponym is a word or phrase whose semantic range is included within that of another word. For example, scarlet, vermilion, carmine, and crimson are all hyponyms of red (their hypernym), which is, in turn, a hyponym of colour.

Can you give us an example of how you were trying to use the word?
Reply 5
look up the word synonym in a thesaurus?
Reply 6
ooh thankyou so much guys!! I didn't read the synonym definition properly and panicked! :redface:

Muppety kid- you are a star, u went through all that hassle! thanks :smile:

And everyone else, thanks. Sorry for wasting your time (lol)
Well, synonym is pretty much the only single world in the English language which means that -- so I guess that's it. :smile:
Reply 8
jismith1989
Well, synonym is pretty much the only single world in the English language which means that -- so I guess that's it. :smile:

thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 9
i have a dilemma. i need synonyms of WORK or words relating to work. So i need four words, one starting with each letter of work. Is that possible?
Sahds
i have a dilemma. i need synonyms of WORK or words relating to work. So i need four words, one starting with each letter of work. Is that possible?

There are quite a few synonyms of work, but I don't think you'll be able to find any beginning with those letters. I can't think of anything for K or another W. Is this homework you've been set?
Occupation is the obvious one for O. You could perhaps have wage-labour for W. That's about it for those letters though.
W age
O ccupation
R ota
K ...nowledge

?

They're not synonyms, but they sort of relate.
DisgruntledMoth
W age
O ccupation
R ota
K ...nowledge

?

Well, they are all somewhat related to the world of work, but only occupation is in fact a synonym of work -- i.e. means the same as. If that's what you wanted though, that's great.
jismith1989
Well, they are all somewhat related to the world of work, but only occupation is in fact a synonym of work -- i.e. means the same as. If that's what you wanted though, that's great.

Well she did say "or words relating to work".
DisgruntledMoth
Well she did say "or words relating to work".

Oh, she did indeed. Ignore me then: good answer. :smile:
Reply 16
yay! thats great. Its not homework, im writing some poetry, its got to be about work-namely schoolwork i guess but the recommendations are top stuff. Thanks! Its going to have four verses, each about a particular word beginning with the corresponding letter, hence why i am asking you guys for ideas :smile:
Sahds
yay! thats great. Its not homework, im writing some poetry, its got to be about work-namely schoolwork i guess but the recommendations are top stuff. Thanks! Its going to have four verses, each about a particular word beginning with the corresponding letter, hence why i am asking you guys for ideas :smile:

It's a little lame, but why not do a kenning? It could spell "I HATE WORK" instead, and there's no rhyming! :p:

EDIT: Oops, that's not a kenning. :s-smilie:

Anyway, a kenning could still be slightly more interesting - most of the lines end with verbs, so you can get poems that are quite long this way.
Reply 18
Muppety_Kid
It's a little lame, but why not do a kenning? It could spell "I HATE WORK" instead, and there's no rhyming! :p:

EDIT: Oops, that's not a kenning. :s-smilie:

Anyway, a kenning could still be slightly more interesting - most of the lines end with verbs, so you can get poems that are quite long this way.

hey whats a kenning? :confused:
Sahds
hey whats a kenning? :confused:

It's hard to describe - the best thing to do would be to Google some examples. Here are a few simple ones so you see what to do. :smile:

http://www.maninthemoon.co.uk/kennings.html

Latest

Trending

Trending