The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I'd be more concerned whether your Uni would let you - it's hardly the ideal place for a year abroad - jobs for your year abroad tend to be a lot more professional. Plus I can't imagine it would do your language any good, given you'd probably be speaking English a lot.

You can get summer holiday work there - anyone can apply.
Reply 2
Definitely yes,
Reply 3
It sounds like something you could do in your own time for the summer holidays, but I doubt that any university would let you do a work placement there as part of your year abroad, sorry.
Reply 4
It wouldn't look great on a CV either, especially if you actually want to get a job using your languages.
Reply 5
Just thought I'd let you know that at Warwick's open day, the lecturer said they've had people do their year abroad there :smile:
It sounds awesome, I might see you there :tongue:
Reply 6
first step
In case you're interested, this is what one girl from Warwick wrote after her vacation residence at Disney (this was just over the summer, not for her actual year abroad):

Profile: Working at Disneyland Paris

Having the chance to work at Disneyland Paris opened my horizons and gave me two months worth of unforgettable experiences. Applying was fairly simple. I filled in an online application form via Disney’s website and then I received an invitation for an interview in Disney Company’s main office in London.

The interview was great experience in itself as it was a group interview carried out in French. The questions were fairly straightforward and were designed to test your level of French. I was asked to describe myself, speak about my studies and declare my favourite Disney character! I was offered a “CDD” contract (contrat duré indeterminé) which began from the 1st July until the 3rd September.

Working for Disney was especially great as they provided you with housing and helped to sort out normal formalities such as opening up a French bank account (which is more hassle than it seems!).

The actual work was a lot of fun. I picked up some very important skills such as communication, working in a team and delegating responsibilities. Disney likes to get all their “cast members” involved, and you can easily find yourself being placed with a lot of authority! For example I occasionally found myself assigning and organising essential site duties to team members at work. The work was especially useful for practising my languages. I spoke plenty of French, German and even picked up some Spanish!

On my days off I could abuse my Disney discount and play in the park at my disposal! Furthermore Paris was very accessible and so it was easy to explore the fascinating city.

I would strongly recommend working for Disney as I have had an unforgettable time and have gained some vital work experience and language skills that I can add to my C.V!

Latest

Trending

Trending