The Student Room Group

Rockschool vs RGT for Bass or Guitar

I've been wanting to take some exams for either guitar or bass, grade 6 or above, so I have some more stuff to put on my UCAS/personal statement next year. I know both give UCAS points at grades 6, 7 and 8, but does anyone know which looks more respectable and which is easier? It seems that RGT has more focus on improvisation whereas Rockschool is more focused on learning set pieces and scale patterns. I'd rather do the latter because it seems far easier to me. I've been playing bass for about 4 years and guitar for 2.

Anyone had experience with either?
RGT doesn't have set pieces but you are still learning scales (given you need to know all of them in 5 positions for grade 8).

As I did RGT I can't help being a little biased towards it :p: but both are respectable. You shouldn't be choosing based on which is easier, rather it should be based on what you prefer to play, RGT gets pretty jazzy towards grade 8 at least with the chords and improv. Not sure about rockschool, someone more informed can doubtless tell you more but it seems to be more contemporary styles.

My advice would be choose it on personal preference, at the end of the day it's the same UCAS points.
i think theyre equally respected..i go to one of the (officially lol) best guitar schools in the country for my vocal lessons and i know that they encourage their pupils to use whichever exam board they feel if best suited to them

i don't know much about RGT exams but i can say that i think rockschool is fantastic..everything you need to learn for the exam is contained within one book and the cd it comes with (i think) has recordings of each piece. I find this an invaluable resource as someone who learns pieces much faster having heard what they should actually sound like

i think, if you find rockschool easier, it is an excellent choice

i sound like a promo person for RS coz im always saying how much i rate it, but ive done exams with all boards and i think theyre good :smile:

(fingers crossed after bigging them up like this that i pass on my grade 6 vocals next term lol)
I don't know anything about RGT but I did grade 8 bass with rock school - learned a lot and really enjoyed it! I does come with a CD with all the tracks twice - one full mix and one as a backing track (i.e. with your instrument cut out of the mix) which is really useful.

Then again, RGT may well do that too...
The extra book has backing for RGT, although for the most part accompaniment was provided by the guitar teacher (or in the exam, the examiner). Not as sure about how it works for the bass though.
Reply 5
Does the one Rockschool book contain all the scales and stuff?

I've been doing ABRSM exams for piano and clarinet, and the scales are in a seperate book. Until recently all the pieces were in different books! (for everything other than piano)

I've been leaning towards Rockschool too, I was just a little worried as I got the impression that it was newer (mainly by the name actually :biggrin:) and although it gives UCAS points, universities might not see it as a real achievement as they would do for ABRSM exams.
joekang
Does the one Rockschool book contain all the scales and stuff?

I've been doing ABRSM exams for piano and clarinet, and the scales are in a seperate book. Until recently all the pieces were in different books! (for everything other than piano)

I've been leaning towards Rockschool too, I was just a little worried as I got the impression that it was newer (mainly by the name actually :biggrin:) and although it gives UCAS points, universities might not see it as a real achievement as they would do for ABRSM exams.

yep, as far as i know, the scales are included in the book with pieces in (well they certainly are for vocals and bass i think...check by phoning rockschool or poppin in a music shop and peeking at the book)

rockschool is really respected as an examination board for marking popular music achievements, i know a few more guitarists who use that than RGT, probably because i think it feels a bit more accessible..as far as i know, i think they were established in 1994. Also remember that they are a branch off company from Trinity (so i think on the certificates you get it also says Trinity at the bottom of the page, i'm pretty sure it does anyways lol)...in the same way that the RGT is a branch off from LCM..so either way, no matter what you choose, you're definately getting a recognised qualification from a respected exams board

god i wish i could find a job where i could get paid for all this random knowledge lol!

i have a lot of respect for rockschool in how they allow musicians from a more contemporary background to get recognition for their talents :smile:
and ultimately, i guess many would say that the AB is the most respected exams board..but seeing as the AB dont offer graded exams for electrical guitar (don't quote me on that people lol) then it's all good

music courses at uni take people who've done exams with all boards. then if you dont wanna study music it's cool to as ucas points are ucas points no matter which music board you accumulate them from :smile:
laurakate1988
yep, as far as i know, the scales are included in the book with pieces in (well they certainly are for vocals and bass i think...check by phoning rockschool or poppin in a music shop and peeking at the book)

rockschool is really respected as an examination board for marking popular music achievements, i know a few more guitarists who use that than RGT, probably because i think it feels a bit more accessible..as far as i know, i think they were established in 1994. Also remember that they are a branch off company from Trinity (so i think on the certificates you get it also says Trinity at the bottom of the page, i'm pretty sure it does anyways lol)...in the same way that the RGT is a branch off from LCM..so either way, no matter what you choose, you're definately getting a recognised qualification from a respected exams board

god i wish i could find a job where i could get paid for all this random knowledge lol!

i have a lot of respect for rockschool in how they allow musicians from a more contemporary background to get recognition for their talents :smile:

I have that job :wink:
:O lucky!!

please please please PM me the title of the job as i'd love to do something along the lines of the sylabus related help that i try to offer here!!
Does anyone remember the old grade 8 RS songs? Not that the current ones are bad.... but grade 8 without battersea benches ... where's the fun in that?
ah yeah, they changed their sylabus recently didn't they....i was suprised they did that after using the same one for so long

Latest