The Student Room Group

Applying for different course to oxbridge after 1year at another uni???

Hey was wondering if anyone can give any advice...

Basically I went to uni not really knowing what I wanted to do and ended up doing a course that I'm not really interested in (biology). Having got good grades at A level, A's in Chem, Eng lit and maths and A in As Maths I feel as though I would like to apply to oxbridge for 2009.

I've finished my first year and passed but I want to drop out and apply for a completely different course (economics/ something similar) so would probably finish off my maths A level.

Would oxbridge mark down someone in my situation? I know they want a strong recommendation from your current university tutor but I rarely saw her and obviously didnt try my hardest since my heart wasn't really in the course, and also i wouldn't be at university anymore...:confused:

Any Advice???
Reply 1
I'm not sure that you're going to get the answer you're hoping for - economics at Oxbridge is very competitive and no doubt most of the personal statements will have elaborate stories of how that candidate's always been interested in the subject. In your case, dropping out of biology will look like a lack of commitment and will do you no favours.

Best advice I can give is to talk to your DoS - transferring to another course after the first year is reasonably common, but it would be done internally at your current university. Unless they don't offer economics, I don't think you have a good enough reason to move unis.
Reply 2
Absolutely do it :biggrin:

I'm in same situation, but with arts/social sciences rather than sciences:

Started a Theatre Studies course at Lancaster, realised it wasn't for me and have now dropped out after one year. I've just started an application for politics and international relations related courses, and one of my places is SPS at Cambridge. Having been in your situation, I now know that it was the right one.

You've got to do something you definately want to do; I would also advise emailing admissions to the colleges you're interested in. That gave me a lot of confidence as I was assured that, as long as I can justify my dropping out of my last course, I wouldn't be disadvantaged at all. So if you have a good reason (and you do, with suddenly realising the direction you want to go - I always think it's weird that we're expected to choose our life direction at around 18!), and can justify, I don't think you'd be disadvantaged; also if they question you about it at interview, point out that you realised how sure you were that your heart was really in Economics, so much so that you were willing to get yourself in around £7k more debt than if you'd continued with Biology.

Hope it goes well,

Joe
Reply 3
deatales
Hey was wondering if anyone can give any advice...

Basically I went to uni not really knowing what I wanted to do and ended up doing a course that I'm not really interested in (biology). Having got good grades at A level, A's in Chem, Eng lit and maths and A in As Maths I feel as though I would like to apply to oxbridge for 2009.

I've finished my first year and passed but I want to drop out and apply for a completely different course (economics/ something similar) so would probably finish off my maths A level.

Would oxbridge mark down someone in my situation? I know they want a strong recommendation from your current university tutor but I rarely saw her and obviously didnt try my hardest since my heart wasn't really in the course, and also i wouldn't be at university anymore...:confused:

Any Advice???

What did you decide to do in the end?

Latest

Trending

Trending