The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 1
I can't really answer this because my parents pay for my food shopping, but what i did last year for stuff like going out was see how much i had to spend each week after i'd paid that terms accommodation. Then divided that by the amount of weeks of a term. I never went over budget though, which is handy.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
I never really had a budget plan...I just went on what I had in my bank after accom fees. Some weeks I'd cut down on my spending so I could buy something online the next week. I basically walked around with my bank balance in my head, deducting every £10-£20 I removed from the cash machine :redface:
Reply 3
yeah, i didn't have one last year either. But 3 credit cards later I'm thinking one for the second year might be a good idea!
Reply 4
random_bloke
yeah, i didn't have one last year either. But 3 credit cards later I'm thinking one for the second year might be a good idea!

Bah that's nothing that faking death can't avoid :p:

I mainly just used a basic thing. I aimed to have about £400 left in my bank by the end of any term...then I'd divide the rest of the money I had after that amount by the number of weeks (usually 12) and use that as a flexible guideline.

However the week before I got my bursary usually saw a large online order :woo:
Reply 5
I probably spent no more than £15 a week on food, and then say another £20 for anything else. Of course, it'd vary a lot depending on what people were up to and the level of whiskey in my bottles, but I think I didn't spend more than £30 a week for any prolonged period.

Maybe with a proper kitchen this year, I might be spending more. But then, with houses you don't need to go out as much, because bringing the party here is cheaper... if messier.

Latest