The Student Room Group

Which laptop to bring w/r to after-sales service in Cambridge

I'm being extremely presumptuous and thinking about which laptop to bring in case I make my offer. I don't like macs so that's out of the picture but I'm currently deciding between HP, Sony and Dell.
Specifications aside, one of my main requirements is kick-ass after-sales service. I want to buy from a company that has a technical office in Cambridge and can possibly send over a technician if and when something goes wrong. Has anyone had experience with this?
Secondly, can one buy a laptop through the university? If so, does this have any significant benefits (cost, service etc)?

Any help would be appreciated. :biggrin: Good luck to everyone waiting on their grades. August draws nearer... :eek:
If it's just in case you have a software problem, I know that every college and the university has a computing service which I believe can be quite supportive though obviously they aren't going to be able to provide the same kind of support the manufacturer will. I don't really see why you'd need it now as laptops tend to be quite reliable these days.
The Dell 3 year accidental damage warranty is pretty awesome. Plenty of times over the last three years I've accidentally put my laptop in the sink or something equally stupid, and Dell has arranged for somebody to fix it, in college, in a day or two.
Reply 3
Thanks fish and goosey! :biggrin:

Fish, I didn't know colleges had computing services; that's a relief! I worry about the support because I've had bad experiences with computers in general where there's been data loss, frequent visits to repair shops and even crying. Just a week ago I lost my entire collection of photos. I was stupid enough not to back it up. Thank god for Facebook!

Goosey, that sounds like something I would do. :biggrin: That's exactly the kind of support I'm looking for! Did you buy your laptop in Cambridge?!
Well, a lot of the time (in our college anyway!) there is a team of students as well as a few staff employed by college who deal with any basic problems, and if it's more complicated you can get support from the University Computing Service though I've heard that can involve leaving your computer with them for a whole.

Dell in general are pretty good I think.

Latest

Trending

Trending