The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

mikoe
I do three modern languages at gcse. in my year only 4/240 do it...
I was just wondering what languages you do if you do three.
I do french german spanish.
will you be contiuning them to AS? If so, which? I'm taking french and spanish to AS (I hate german!)

I only did two (French and German), but I was friends with a guy who did 3 - the same ones as you.
I only know of one person in my year that did all 3 (French, German, Spanish) to GCSE, and she's just done ASs in German and Spanish. A lot of people did 2 of the languages (French and one of the others)...maybe about 30, max? 80 in the year.
Reply 3
purple-girl
I only know of one person in my year that did all 3 (French, German, Spanish) to GCSE, and she's just done ASs in German and Spanish. A lot of people did 2 of the languages (French and one of the others)...maybe about 30, max? 80 in the year.

Yeah I'd say at least half are doing two langs. About 20% are doing two modern langs + latin.
My school banned me from doing French because i was Asian! So i had to settle for IT, what a bunch of bugger they are...
Reply 5
I did French and German, didn't have any other languages at our school.
I would have loved to have done more. Didn't take any of them to AS but started learning italian GCSE at college.
I did both French and German, was going to do fast track German but the school ditched it. In my school, even though we're a language college, you can only do two at GCSE because Spanish and German are split amongst the year.
Reply 7
I did French and German but i would of preferred Spanish :frown: I knwo a girl who did French, German and Latin though.
Reply 8
Ramadulla
My school banned me from doing French because i was Asian! So i had to settle for IT, what a bunch of bugger they are...

wtf? why should you being Asian have anything to do with it? :s-smilie:
Ramadulla

Why?!

I did 3 languages, but not modern. French, Spanish and Classical Greek.
It was a larf. :s-smilie:

I really do love languages and I've done Spanish to AS. Dropping it though :frown:
summertime_
wtf? why should you being Asian have anything to do with it? :s-smilie:

"You cannot handle learning more than 2 languages simultaneously; it will put you off revising for your other subjects." Words I can remember from my Head of Year... :rolleyes:.
Ramadulla
"You cannot handle learning more than 2 languages simultaneously; it will put you off revising for your other subjects." Words I can remember from my Head of Year... :rolleyes:.

seriously? what an absolute arse. i assume thats english and your first language hes reffering to? because from what ive seen your english is bloody brilliant.
summertime_
seriously? what an absolute arse. i assume thats english and your first language hes reffering to? because from what ive seen your english is bloody brilliant.

Yep, English is one of my favorite subjects :smile:. I do like French and having a modern language would be good to add on my application. Apparently only people who have one language can proceed on to do a modern language (or any other classical language.) So that was that was the English people, who only know English. Prejudice or what? :mad:.
Ramadulla
Yep, English is one of my favorite subjects :smile:. I do like French and having a modern language would be good to add on my application. Apparently only people who have one language can proceed on to do a modern language (or any other classical language.) So that was that was the English people, who only know English. Prejudice or what? :mad:.

me no speeak yemenian whut u on bout? :borat:
simple as that :biggrin:
Reply 14
I took 3 modern languages for gcse. (German, French, Italian). I was the only one to do so, but there were about 2/3 people who took 2 modern, + latin.

I only take German now, but I want to study German and Russian at university. Although I would like to learn a bit of Spanish at some point...

I really enjoyed taking 3 languages. It meant that I had at least 1 language lesson every day, mostly 2 though. The only downside ot it, was that it really limited my other gcse options. I had only two other options, which meant I didn't have that much variety. I'm taking the IB now though, and I worked out I have exactly the same variety of subjects now, as I did for gcse - so it levels out a bit in a sense.
trance addict
me no speeak yemenian whut u on bout? :borat:
simple as that :biggrin:

Haha, it's not 'Yemenian' ; it's Arabic :p:.
Ramadulla

Then it's not because you are Asian. It's because you already speak a second language.
Ramadulla

It would be good to add on your application as well, but I think your level of English as a second language is brilliant :yep:
summertime_
It would be good to add on your application as well, but I think your level of English as a second language is brilliant :yep:

Don't get me wrong. I'm still learning English as a first language. I can speak both Arabic and English fluently, all I wanted to do was learn French as an extra that's all, and I was prohibited to do so; despite my appeal and hate for IT.
Reply 19
I took French, Italian, Japanese and Latin.

it was wicked.

would have done spanish too but they messed up my timetable.

I think about 3 people in my year took French, German, Italian, Japanese and Latin. I was *jealous*. (we go to a "language college")

I plan to continue French and Japanese to AS this year and possibly to pick up Spanish again in my second year.

Latest