The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
french, german, italian, japanese and latin? that's mental! where they all taken in the same year?

German and Latin are considered quite difficult, and Japanese I've heard is insanely so! How did they manage to study all of them along with 6 or so other subjects?

And you took all of them apart form German - which is still absolutely crazy! How did you manage?
You could only do 2 modern languages at my school & you had to do 1. [out of French, Spanish & German], you could also do Latin as well, but the people doing Latin only did 1 modern language. The only girl to do 3 languages took Portugese outside of school.

Personally I would rather I hadn't been forced to do a language, I hated it [I chose German in the end, the lesser of two evils]
Reply 22
If someone is an A* standard in a modern language, how would their speaking/writing skills compare to a native Frenchman for example.
Reply 23
I don't know why you guys hate German... French is the sucky language!
Reply 24
well the french was no trouble at all for the GCSE years as we were already up to standard having learned it for 3 years. So that was very little work.
Italian we learnt from scratch with a fantastic teacher. that took quite a lot of work at home but it's generally an easy lang. to pick up when you've learnt similar languages before (eg French, spanish).
Japanese was done in one 2 hour lesson a week (wednesdays after school) which was pretty torturous. Lots of homework and effort needed- we'll have to wait and see the results on that lol.
And latin was again learned from scratch from the end of year 9. We had a really relaxed and fun teacher and it never really felt like work.

the craziness was really just around coursework time (French and German clashed for this but for Italian it was not a problem as we did a writing exam instead). Also oral exams were hellish as we had to learn 3 at once. I had French one week and italian the next but others in the class were worse off with italian speaking exams the day before their german speaking.

as I said, I really enjoyed all the languages. *shrug*
I wish I'd been able to learn other languages, in my school we were all taught french to year 9 where the top set would learn german as well, everyone else had a choice of french or nothing. I took it to A level and loved it :biggrin:
Reply 26
Ramadulla
Don't get me wrong. I'm still learning English as a first language. I can speak both Arabic and English fluently, all I wanted to do was learn French as an extra that's all, and I was prohibited to do so; despite my appeal and hate for IT.

Dude, you are cool. Teach me Arabic man. All I hear is "Allhalawawa..."

Latin is a rubbish language to learn. Some of my mates took it, and they dossed in it (not for GCSE though).
I wish I'd been able to do three at my school, you lucky things! We were only allowed to take 2 modern languages or one modern and Latin. Everyone had to take two out of German, French, Spanish, Latin. You could take Greek as an extra but only about 15 people did this. I really wish I'd had the chance to learn a more 'exotic' language like Japanese, Chinese, Arabic or Russian at GCSE, but these werent available. In fact, how available are these languages at secondary school nowadays, because I dont actually know any schools myself that teach these kind of languages?
Reply 28
Sk1lLz
I don't know why you guys hate German... French is the sucky language!

agreed.
Reply 29
v1oXx-
If someone is an A* standard in a modern language, how would their speaking/writing skills compare to a native Frenchman for example.

At gcse? You can't even compare it. I got an A* in Italian, and I can't even string a sentence together.
Oh yeah, classical languages too. One girl in my year did French, Spanish, Latin and Ancient Greek, and did all 4 to AS, not sure about A2. If those are included I'd say the majority of the year did at least 2 languages.
Sk1lLz
Dude, you are cool. Teach me Arabic man. All I hear is "Allhalawawa..."

Latin is a rubbish language to learn. Some of my mates took it, and they dossed in it (not for GCSE though).

I don't think that is even a word :biggrin:.
Reply 32
purple-girl
Oh yeah, classical languages too. One girl in my year did French, Spanish, Latin and Ancient Greek, and did all 4 to AS, not sure about A2. If those are included I'd say the majority of the year did at least 2 languages.

just out of curiosity - did she take any non-language A levels?
afua12
just out of curiosity - did she take any non-language A levels?

Nope, unless General Studies counts =).
I did Spanish, French & Italian. Although Spanish shouldn't really count as I'm fluent in it :smile:

I'll probably just be taking Italian (and maybe Spanish) on to A-level.
Ramadulla
My school banned me from doing French because i was Asian! So i had to settle for IT, what a bunch of bugger they are...

That's clearly not the reason, stop trying to convince the world you're oppressed.
I know a few people at my school who did French, German and Latin. We didn't have the option of doing Spanish, but Latin was really hard for GCSE, well I thought so anyway.

Does English count?
Reply 37
mikoe
I do three modern languages at gcse. in my year only 4/240 do it...
I was just wondering what languages you do if you do three.
I do french german spanish.
will you be contiuning them to AS? If so, which? I'm taking french and spanish to AS (I hate german!)

I did three! French, Spanish and Russian. I was so befuddled as to which I should do at IB but in the end opted for Spanish

(y he eligido muy bien)
Edit: I also did latin, and nearly did Greek, but didn't at the last.
Reply 38
at my school the years alternat between having to do french and german for GCSE
my year was german, but only 2 girls wanted to do frech as extra so they didnt run the course
however my school is crap at languages as only the top set of 20 people did higher tier so a C is the highest most people can get
well, when i started high school i never got the chance to. EVERYONE had to learn French for then first year and then they were allowed to change to either arabic or German (i swapped to German which i am now starting A2). but sadly, we were only allowed to do one language. in my first year of sixth form though, i picked up Spanish, which i was meant to take to GCSE level this year, but they made a tit of my timetable.

But my one of my cousins went to Castlehall and took three languages. Japanese, French and German, and i'm pretty sure she took Latin as well, but i get confused between her and her sister :s-smilie:

but language GCSEs for us were compulsary. only 3 of us though took AS level languages.

Latest