The Student Room Group

BMAT, UKCAT help!

Okay, i decided to investigate today whether specific universities had 'cut off' scores i.e. below a certain score the candidate wouldn't be looked at.

However, after looking at the university sites and actually phoning admissions i found that Edinburgh and Southampton don't have UKCAT cut off scores and also Cambridge and Oxford don't as well.

So i was wondering whether this is just the universities way of not telling potential candidates too much about the screening process or whether they just didn't like me and they infact do have cut off points lol :biggrin:

Reply 1
motiv3
Okay, i decided to investigate today whether specific universities had 'cut off' scores i.e. below a certain score the candidate wouldn't be looked at.

However, after looking at the university sites and actually phoning admissions i found that Edinburgh and Southampton don't have UKCAT cut off scores and also Cambridge and Oxford don't as well.

So i was wondering whether this is just the universities way of not telling potential candidates too much about the screening process or whether they just didn't like me and they infact do have cut off points lol :biggrin:

when is spoke to southampton they told me that it varys each year, but they have no official cut of scores and deside who to accept based on thier whole application.
Reply 2
Barts has a published cut-off point. EDIT: I thought they did but I can't find it on their website.
UCL publishes a BMAT score required for automatic interview.
Reply 3
isi333
Barts has a published cut-off point. EDIT: I thought they did but I can't find it on their website.

i thought they had it on their website but dont seem to find it. i remember when I rang the lady said that it varied every year but the year before (2007) it was 2400. i had 2390 and got an offer but last years UKCAT was very messed up so i dont know what it was really.
Reply 4
malaz_197
i thought they had it on their website but dont seem to find it. i remember when I rang the lady said that it varied every year but the year before (2007) it was 2400. i had 2390 and got an offer but last years UKCAT was very messed up so i dont know what it was really.

Yeah, I reckon it used to be there and they've taken it off?:confused:
Reply 5
isi333
Yeah, I reckon it used to be there and they've taken it off?

maybe we are ancient and they dont have a cut-off score anymore :confused:
Cambridge don't take anyone with a low BMAT score. (Not yet seen anyone who's got in with less than 22)

For Oxford, it's considered with GCSEs, GCSE is given half the weight of BMAT.
Reply 7
malaz_197
maybe we are ancient and they dont have a cut-off score anymore :confused:

Maybe. Who knows? Anyway, can't stop to think about it now; off to collect pension.
Reply 8
Toiletpaper8
Cambridge don't take anyone with a low BMAT score. (Not yet seen anyone who's got in with less than 22)

I have.
isi333
I have.

Oo, really?? What score did you get? :eek:
Reply 10
Toiletpaper8
Oo, really?? What score did you get? :eek:

Sorry, that was 'I have seen people who've got in with less...', not 'I got in with less..'.

I did get in, with a score above 22, but I have a friend who also got in with a score just below 22.
isi333
Sorry, that was 'I have seen people who've got in with less...', not 'I got in with less..'.

I did get in, with a score above 22, but I have a friend who also got in with a score just below 22.

I mean, 5,5,9 which UCL have is not very high, and that's 19. So I would imagine Oxbridge people would have like 7,7,12 or something, which is 26. But less than 22... nice.
Reply 12
I think getting over 20 should be somewhat a comfort point if you're thinking of oxbridge... considering you have everything else too of course (gcse grades, as grades, predictions etc)...
Reply 13
Toiletpaper8
I mean, 5,5,9 which UCL have is not very high, and that's 19.

:rolleyes: I'm taking it you haven't done the BMAT yet then...you'll think differently once you've sat the exam. (5,5,9 is the median mark, and everyone sitting the exam is applying to Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Imperial or the RVC, so the academic calibre is high). At my school, three of us applied to Cam Medicine. We all got in, and none of us had scores in the first section above 7, or essays above 12. (Just to give you an idea, achieving a score of 7.5 in the second section would put you in approximately the 95th percentile).

In my opinion, very few applicants will have scores over 26. I'm reckoning the figure is a complete guess on your part?!
Reply 14
^Oh, and 5,5,9 is the automatic-interview threshold for UCL, not the cut-off point.
isi333
:rolleyes: I'm taking it you haven't done the BMAT yet then...you'll think differently once you've sat the exam. (5,5,9 is the median mark, and everyone sitting the exam is applying to Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Imperial or the RVC, so the academic calibre is high). At my school, three of us applied to Cam Medicine. We all got in, and none of us had scores in the first section above 7, or essays above 12. (Just to give you an idea, achieving a score of 7.5 in the second section would put you in approximately the 95th percentile).

In my opinion, very few applicants will have scores over 26. I'm reckoning the figure is a complete guess on your part?!

:yep: You sussed me out lol. Nahh, I was basing it on the fact that the max score is 9,9,15 which is 33. So 19 can't be that high, but it seems high now after what you said lol :p:
Reply 16
Toiletpaper8
:yep: You sussed me out lol. Nahh, I was basing it on the fact that the max score is 9,9,15 which is 33. So 19 can't be that high, but it seems high now after what you said lol :p:

Yeah, it is high. Remember the scores are normally distributed. So, in terms of the number of people achieving each score, there is a big gap between 5 and 6 and then an even bigger gap between 6 and 7 and so on. The higher you go, the less likely it gets. Nobody gets 33.

Anyway, you'll understand in November. </patronising older student spiel>

Latest

Trending

Trending