The Student Room Group

May be loosing my job-feeling down

Ok, due too the current economic climate, tesco are cutting back it's price decreases it does daily (you may know about the tesco vs asda price war...) which means, as my job is putting out these price decrease labels..the workload has literally disappeated, meaning technically my job doesn't need me now as i was taken on as tempory staff over the summer too help with the workload.

Today they had too let go another guy in my department whos on a similar contract, telling him they simply can't afford him. I'm worried i'll be next, i work the most hours out of all the temp staff, this has got me worried as this money is paying for me too live off at uni next year and towards paying off holiday, debts etc

Should i keep quiet, and keep performing well in my job..or express my concerns too a manager, so i know whats happening and i havn't got the uncertainty of no job in a few weeks over my head?:confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:frown:

Has anyone else been let go? If you're doing the most hours, that might be a good thing, as you might be their current priority temp in terms of needing someone they can rely on.

If the work does go, is their any chance they might redeploy you elsewhere? Maybe you should voice your concerns to your line manager, or store manager, stating that you enjoy being their and would like to think that they would redeploy you elsewhere if there is no job for you in your current role. Let them know you are keen.

Hugs
Reply 2
anna_spanner89
Ok, due too the current economic climate, tesco are cutting back it's price decreases it does daily (you may know about the tesco vs asda price war...) which means, as my job is putting out these price decrease labels..the workload has literally disappeated, meaning technically my job doesn't need me now as i was taken on as tempory staff over the summer too help with the workload.

Today they had too let go another guy in my department whos on a similar contract, telling him they simply can't afford him. I'm worried i'll be next, i work the most hours out of all the temp staff, this has got me worried as this money is paying for me too live off at uni next year and towards paying off holiday, debts etc

Should i keep quiet, and keep performing well in my job..or express my concerns too a manager, so i know whats happening and i havn't got the uncertainty of no job in a few weeks over my head?:confused:

Don't worry too much if they let you go.

If you still need a job to make money over the summer then go to PerTemps at the bottom of park street/college green and they'll line you up with temp work pretty much immediately.
well, could you not do your job well, and maybe after work express your feelings to your boss? is he generally an approachable guy, or not?
Reply 4
Carry on working as dilligently as you can, and theyll deffo appreciate it :smile: Personally, if you're worried and you think your manager is approachable, then express your concerns. At least then, you know where you stand. You'll know whether you'll still have a job or whether you should start looking for a new job.

But if you're still there, that's a good thing :biggrin:
Reply 5
If you do the most hours, they'll be more likely to keep you on - especially if these are overtime. Although maybe you should start looking into a few other jobs, just so you're not without work for too long if they do let you go.
Reply 6
I can't be re-deployed because the rest of the store has no vacancies and a freeze on overtime

also, theres no point re-looking for a job due too starting uni in a month and a few weeks, would be pointless really...
Reply 7
Hi anna,

That sounds rubbish. I know the feeling as we're struggling at work being just a small jewellery shop but as there's only 4 of us working there they can't really let us go, just drop our hours, so i'm having to work as hard as i can to sell stuff so he won't close the shop. But i kind of know the feeling, it's getting increasingly harder to hold onto jobs.

If it's only a few weeks til uni and you do happen to be let go then it's not too bad, have you got any savings you can use or your parents could help out? There's no point trying to get another job in only a few weeks. Will you get another when you get to uni?

As others have said maybe work as well as you can and voice your concerns to your boss, but obviously they have to do what they have to do, just don't be too down if they do, you're going to uni soon anyway, does that mean you'd quit anyway when you go to uni?
Reply 8
jenren22
Hi anna,

That sounds rubbish. I know the feeling as we're struggling at work being just a small jewellery shop but as there's only 4 of us working there they can't really let us go, just drop our hours, so i'm having to work as hard as i can to sell stuff so he won't close the shop. But i kind of know the feeling, it's getting increasingly harder to hold onto jobs.

If it's only a few weeks til uni and you do happen to be let go then it's not too bad, have you got any savings you can use or your parents could help out? There's no point trying to get another job in only a few weeks. Will you get another when you get to uni?

As others have said maybe work as well as you can and voice your concerns to your boss, but obviously they have to do what they have to do, just don't be too down if they do, you're going to uni soon anyway, does that mean you'd quit anyway when you go to uni?

NO savings..bad i know but i'd saved too buy a car, bought a car and now re-saving for gap year after uni lol My parents can't help me, hence why im using the money from this job too support myself, plus i can't get one at uni as i have placements in different areas of wales.

Its a tempory contract, due too finish september..but like i said they let a guy go today who's on a temp contract too, at uni soon..and only does 5 hours less than me :no:
Reply 9
anna_spanner89
I can't be re-deployed because the rest of the store has no vacancies and a freeze on overtime

also, theres no point re-looking for a job due too starting uni in a month and a few weeks, would be pointless really...

Equally you have nothing to lose, and if you don't ask, you definitely do not get... :no:
Fluffy
Equally you have nothing to lose, and if you don't ask, you definitely do not get... :no:

yeah..im going too need too do some major sucking up, she's sort of approachable..but has been very moody recently and snappy :frown:

i never thought i'd be so affected by the current economy etc...damn tesco..
Reply 11
anna_spanner89
yeah..im going too need too do some major sucking up, she's sort of approachable..but has been very moody recently and snappy :frown:

i never thought i'd be so affected by the current economy etc...damn tesco..

Keeping everything crossed for you. :yep::yep:

I know how horrid needing a job and not getting one is! Especially during clinical years at medical school, when your holidays are too short for anyone to touch you with a barge pole... :no: :no:
Reply 12
as you work the most hours, thats a positive because they would rather fire 5 people who do few shifts rather than 1 person who does a lot.

what sort of tesco is it?

if i were you, just try applying or looking round for other jobs just in case

hope its ok though :smile:
Fluffy
Keeping everything crossed for you. :yep::yep:

I know how horrid needing a job and not getting one is! Especially during clinical years at medical school, when your holidays are too short for anyone to touch you with a barge pole... :no: :no:

tell me about it, when i start my degree in september i only get 6 weeks off a year...so i will obviously NOT want too work, PLUS i have placements so i doubt many places would want too take on a student who would spend 6-8 weeks off on holiday 3 times a year!!!

PLUS if i was doing a 'normal' degree..i'd be getting more money financially..ugh you've got me started now
Reply 14
anna_spanner89
tell me about it, when i start my degree in september i only get 6 weeks off a year...so i will obviously NOT want too work, PLUS i have placements so i doubt many places would want too take on a student who would spend 6-8 weeks off on holiday 3 times a year!!!

PLUS if i was doing a 'normal' degree..i'd be getting more money financially..ugh you've got me started now

May i ask what degree you're doing? There's nothing wrong with doing a couple of shifts a week during term time, although as you say maybe placements might put them off, unless you do something temporary for the first term, or work for your student's union? If you're only temporary they'd only be cutting you a few weeks short at Tesco, i'm sure they can manage to keep you on until the contract ends, just have a word. Might be an overused phrase, but i live by it constantly: It might never happen!
jenren22
May i ask what degree you're doing? There's nothing wrong with doing a couple of shifts a week during term time, although as you say maybe placements might put them off, unless you do something temporary for the first term, or work for your student's union? If you're only temporary they'd only be cutting you a few weeks short at Tesco, i'm sure they can manage to keep you on until the contract ends, just have a word. Might be an overused phrase, but i live by it constantly: It might never happen!

clinical physiology with cardiology..like i said, it's 6-8 week placements, with 6 week intervals at uni, and the odd week off slotted in
Reply 16
Most places have Wednesday afternoons free for sports - so you might be able to work then (I work on a Wednesday PM).

Having said that, my dept at Swansea didn't allow that, and timetabled compulsary stuff... So worth checking...
anna_spanner89
NO savings..bad i know but i'd saved too buy a car, bought a car and now re-saving for gap year after uni lol My parents can't help me, hence why im using the money from this job too support myself, plus i can't get one at uni as i have placements in different areas of wales.

Its a tempory contract, due too finish september..but like i said they let a guy go today who's on a temp contract too, at uni soon..and only does 5 hours less than me :no:
Maybe consider selling your Tiffany ring if things are that bad.
I mean if you are on good terms with the manager then by all means ask for a realistic answer, it's better for you to know and also shows that you actually pay attention to what's going on around you!

The fact you also do the most hours out of the temps is a positive thing, as Tesco do need SOME extra staff and you could be that one person they need.

Don't let it affect your work, keep doing as well as you are and hope for the best!
Fluffy
Most places have Wednesday afternoons free for sports - so you might be able to work then (I work on a Wednesday PM).

Having said that, my dept at Swansea didn't allow that, and timetabled compulsary stuff... So worth checking...

oo what did you do at swansea?

Ok things have gone from bad too worse..

I could make a seperate thread but no point..its the same problem continued..

2 more people got let off today, and i've been transfered too a different department without anyone asking me whether i was ok with it etc, i've also found out i could be ANYWHERE whenever i come into work. To be frank, i don't like this..I was settled in my job and had only got used too the way things worked and was enjoying it, i feel very disorientated now and angry no one asked me and just moved me about like a pawn

I still have a job yes..but i spent 6 depressing hours today stacking shelves, if this was offered in my inital job interview and contract i would've turned it down, the only reason i took the job was because my original role was mentally demanding, something i enjoy..

Now not only am i pissed off i've been forgotten..i'm also concerned, in all honestly im ready too leave if im going too have this everyday

help :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending