The Student Room Group

Writing a psychology essay, tips.

I've made it through my first year of psychology at uni, and now am scared of going into the second! as I made it through the first year ok, but I didn't try too hard.. and now when it really counts, I don't know how to write a good essay. I generally just stick as many relevant points in as I can, and ramble a bit to get the word count up. What do you need to include to make your essay good?? Does anyone have any good tips?
Well, I can tell you how to write a good essay for the OCR A-level syllabus, but I wouldn't know what constitutes a good essay for uni :p:
Reply 2
If you want, I could send you something I got a first in. I wouldn't be worried about you copying it because it's already on a coursework site so you'd be found out through that if you did :smile:
Reply 3
Melana
If you want, I could send you something I got a first in. I wouldn't be worried about you copying it because it's already on a coursework site so you'd be found out through that if you did :smile:

ooh that would be brilliant if you could, how would you, by email or what?
i'm too scared of copying anyway! haha, don't wanna get in trouble
Reply 4
this is based purely on AS level, so i havent got a clue if itll be relevant, but my teacher says PEC - point, example, comment. if you keep it well structured im assuming it'll be easier to mark, and also easier for you to check back through it to make sure you've said everything. obviously this only works if the essays are a certain type of question though. good luck anyway!
^ That's just a structure for a specific exam, and questions, though. It sounds like OCR? and if so in A2 you'll find that layout changes a lot. Way to formulaic for me, and I hope it's not like that at uni! :eek:
Reply 6
Yeah it was just OCR. Sorry i'm probably not any help!
I did OCR :yep: Could never get all the Cs from PEC though in my AS essays :rolleyes:

You carrying on to A2? I liked Crime, but Health was a bit dull- though you may do 2 different topics. The essays are really monotonous! It goes: 'What (point), Where, Where (2 examples), Why (comment)'
Reply 8
Yeah I am, it's one of my favourite subjects lol. We're doing crime and group psychology, should be quite interesting I think. Especially crime!
Crime is good- and like me, you may be able to use studies from AS so keep 'em handy just in case (I used Raine, Bandura, Loftus and Palmer and Piaget)- though it depends on what your teacher does: nobody here seems to do the same studies! :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending