The Student Room Group
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website

A 'get to know you' thread.

Hi there!

I am hoping to come to staffs uni (stafford campus) in '09, and thought this would be a good way of getting to know people before I start :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thanks! Lets hope some more people post!
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website
Name: Aisha

What year are you in? (If you are not there yet, just put 'hopeful' 08 or 09: Hopeful 08

What subject are you doing/hoping to do? Film Production Technology with Mathematics - I know it's weird! I know!! (Also in the computer engineering department thingy)

What campus are you on/hoping to be on: Stafford woo!

What are your favourite hobbies? Anything creative, drawing, cinema, film, badminton, beaches, theme parks hehe

Interests? Uhhh I like American music? I like mostly action/gangster/adventure films - blokey films basically!

Food? Cereal - I could live on Ricicles.

Colour? Purple

Books? I haven't read a book in years! XD

Websites? Youtube, forums, random googling

Pets? My bunny, Star!

Describe yourself in 1 sentence: Umm...yeah I don't like this question either! I'm just sort of...me? XD

What made your pick staffs? It was the only one close enough to my home that did the course I wanted!

Are you glad? Do you regret it? Nope, I like how it's quiet and full of other techy people :biggrin:

Best thing about Staffs? It does my course?

Worst thing? It's still pretty far from home and I don't know anybody else going there!

How did you feel on the first day? Well it took ages to get there and we drove too far and got lost so when I got there I felt pretty crap! But yeah it feels kinda nice and countryish...kinda grassy

Did much settled in did you feel in freshers week? I hope I do! I dunno about settling into my room though I haven't got any posters or anything! :frown:

Was it hard to make friends? It better not be! Maybe I'll do the whole Primary School thing and say...do you want to be my friend? Would that work? XD

Anything you would like to say to prospective students? Yes...do you want to be my...

What job would you like to do when you have left? Haven't a clue - don't even know if there is a job out there for my course!!
Reply 3
Name: Ruby

What year are you in? (If you are not there yet, just put 'hopeful' 08 or 09: hopeful 09

What subject are you doing/hoping to do? Web design

What campus are you on/hoping to be on: Stafford

What are your favourite hobbies? Web/graphic design, reading, dog training

Interests? as above

Food? spag bol, chocolate, ben n jerrys ice cream (yum!)

Colour? hmmm....blue

Books? James herriot, Jessica kingsly books

Websites? erm...... TSR, DT, DA

Pets? Archie, my 9 year old golden labrador. Hes very greedy but also v. smart and a big softy!

Describe yourself in 1 sentence: Erm...self confessed Dog and chocolate obsessed web design addict :P

What made your pick staffs? The course, nice people, fantastic support

Are you glad? Do you regret it? not sure yet!

Best thing about Staffs? n/a

Worst thing? n/a

How did you feel on the first day? n/a

Did much settled in did you feel in freshers week? n/a

Was it hard to make friends? n/a

Anything you would like to say to prospective students? n/a

What job would you like to do when you have left? Web Designer
Reply 4
Here goes...

Name: Louis

What year are you in? (If you are not there yet, just put 'hopeful' 08 or 09: 08 maybe it's my insurance (I'm more likely to go to staffs than my firm)

What subject are you doing/hoping to do?: Computer Science

What are your favorite hobbies? Guitar, Didgeridoo, Reading, Logic, Mathematics, various other computer related stuff I don't enjoy programming too much despite being quite good at it.

Interests? ^^^^^

Food? Anything really (within reason), I dont tend to eat as much as I should 2 meals a day max.

Colour? green

Books? Quite a lot, too many to mention. My favorite is The Riddle of Scheherazade by Raymond Smullyan

Websites? Slashdot, TR, TSR, BBC, Facebook bout it really.

Pets? 2 Cats 1 snake

Describe yourself in 1 sentence: Passive, quite a nice guy If you get to know me.

What made your pick staffs? Nice lecturers, good course, good graduate prospects.

Are you glad? Do you regret it? Not staffs in particular. I will certainly be happy wherever I go.

Best thing about Staffs? same as "What made your pick staffs?"

Worst thing? area probably I would much prefer If it was in the middle of the countryside... like keele lol

How did you feel on the first day? we shall see!!!

Did much settled in did you feel in freshers week?Not much but freshers week Isn't for another month so..

Was it hard to make friends? -

Anything you would like to say to prospective students? -

What job would you like to do when you have left? Not an office job hopefully I wouldn't like to spend the rest of my life indoors . I was thinking robotics or something similar.
Name: Becca

What year are you in? (If you are not there yet, just put 'hopeful' 08 or 09: 2nd in Septemeber

What subject are you doing/hoping to do? Forensic Science

What campus are you on/hoping to be on: Stoke

What are your favourite hobbies? Usual ****, getting drunk with friends etc

Interests? Karate, Books :smile:

Food? Pasta

Colour? Red

Books? any really

Websites? Facebook.

Pets? 2 dogs, Jack and Jill :smile:

Describe yourself in 1 sentence: erm. *shrugs*

What made your pick staffs? Closeness to home, like the place.

Are you glad? Do you regret it? Yes, No.

Best thing about Staffs? Erm, People

Worst thing? Resnet :P

How did you feel on the first day? Scared

Did much settled in did you feel in freshers week? Erm, fairly settled I guess

Was it hard to make friends? kinda, but got along with people.

Anything you would like to say to prospective students? See you Septmember!

What job would you like to do when you have left? Erm, any, as long as it pays
Reply 6
Name: Ryan

What year are you in? Hopeful 08!

What subject are you doing/hoping to do? Media and Leisure Industries

What campus are you on/hoping to be on: Stoke

What are your favourite hobbies? Karate, p***-ups up 'anley!

Interests? Reading, music, writing

Food? Pasta (Who is this Becca person, I only need to change the bloody name on this and it's right!)

Colour? Blue (I stand corrected)

Books? Dan Brown (or anything Dan Brownian), Harry Potter

Websites? Facebook, Last.Fm, TTF

Pets? 3 Cats, Mr Paws (who is actually a she and mother of ->), Sir Scratch-a-Lot & Miss Saigon (we found her penis a month ago....kept the name)

Describe yourself in 1 sentence: Loving life and it's loving me back....kind of.

What made your pick staffs? Love S-O-T (I have a t-shirt advertising the fact) and it's the only Uni that does my course

Are you glad? Yes!

Best thing about Staffs? Social Life....plus it's in Stoke.

Worst thing? Stafford Campus....not a good look for Staffs Uni.

How did you feel on the first day? Not done it yet! But my interview with the Faculty head was scary!

Did much settled in did you feel in freshers week? N/A

Was it hard to make friends? I already know a few peeps at Staffs, and it's local so i'm sure i'll recognise people!

Anything you would like to say to prospective students? Woo!

What job would you like to do when you have left? On the Merlin Entertainments Graduate Program, probably at Thorpe Park
Reply 7
Name: Gary

What year are you in? (If you are not there yet, just put 'hopeful' 08 or 09: Hopeful '08

What subject are you doing/hoping to do? Media Production

What campus are you on/hoping to be on: Stoke :biggrin:

What are your favourite hobbies? Drinking and playing Guitar

Interests? Music, Drinking, Karate, Online Games (World of Warcraft in particular ^^ )

Food? Any... I'm Male, lol.

Colour? Red

Books? Any of the fantasy genre... or has swords in tbh.

Websites? Do I get points for saying this one? ^^ Facebook, Ultimate-Guitar, Myspace

Pets? None, lol

Describe yourself in 1 sentence: That guy who thinks he's funny but really isn't. o.0

What made your pick staffs? My Girlfriend comes here, and it does my course. :P

Are you glad? Do you regret it? Well.. I've only been to step ahead so far, but that was awesome... so lookin' good so far. :biggrin:

Best thing about Staffs? So far, the people, everyones really nice.

Worst thing? I have to do my own laundry!

How did you feel on the first day? First day of step ahead I was a bit nervous, but by the second I was too drunk to notice... so its all good.

Did much settled in did you feel in freshers week? N/A ? lol.

Was it hard to make friends? Not had any difficulty yet, lol.

Anything you would like to say to prospective students? Look forward to many drunken nights with y'all!

What job would you like to do when you have left? Preferably something within the Media, but if not, as long as it pays well and I enjoy it I don't mind.
Reply 8
Name: Tom

What year are you in? 2nd year

What subject are you doing/hoping to do? Computer Science

What are your favourite hobbies? Playing games

Interests? gaming, 3d modeling, welding stuff

Food? pizza + pasta

Colour? Blue

Books? Terry Pratchett

Websites? n/a

Pets? None

Describe yourself in 1 sentence: Quiet, shy and enjoys the love of random stuff

What made your pick staffs? Really good uni for computing, also stafford is a nice town

Are you glad? Do you regret it? Glad I picked staffs, semi regret staying in the halls. Loud neighbours are EVIL

Best thing about Staffs? Fred Pratt (awesome lecturer!)

Worst thing? Mr Warden who did nothing to quiet the noisy people

How did you feel on the first day? Petrified

Did much settled in did you feel in freshers week? 0.01%

Was it hard to make friends? Nah not really, made a couple of good friends, IRC helps ALOT

Anything you would like to say to prospective students? Get an IRC server up, outside the uni and your good to go!

What job would you like to do when you have left? Programmer and part time open source developer
Reply 9
Name: John

What year are you in?: 2nd

What subject are you doing/hoping to do? BSc Computer Games Programming

What are your favourite hobbies? Sleeping. Reading. Gaming. Programming (making websites, useful tools to make my life easier).

Interests? Computers. Music. My girlfriend.

Food? Pizza. Curry. Chicken Fried Rice.

Colour? Blue or Purple.

Books? Stephen King.

Websites? None, really.

Pets? I have a cat called Midge, although she stays in Cornwall :frown:

Describe yourself in 1 sentence: I am friendly, kind and helpful (to a point, if not take advantage of).

What made your pick staffs? Seemed the best of the ones I'd visited.

Are you glad? Do you regret it? I like the friends I've met, I found the first year of the course a little boring although I don't feel it was such a learning curve for me as it was for others. Halls of residence were awful and I never managed to get any sleep due to all the noise, not even the nights before my exams!

Best thing about Staffs? Friends.

Worst thing? Bad experience with inconsiderate people in halls.

How did you feel on the first day? Lost, though I was fine by the next day.

Did much settled in did you feel in freshers week? I liked my new friends.

Was it hard to make friends? Nope.

Anything you would like to say to prospective students? Beware ResNet.

What job would you like to do when you have left? Games Programmer / Professional Sleeper
This is gonna sound like the worst question ever - but do people move from other parts of the country to staffs uni?
Yes, and we have a number of Germans...well they came of their own accord so we don't personally have them, though that could be interesting :biggrin:.

I come from Cornwall and it takes me 4 hours to drive to Stafford.
Reply 12
I'm only in Burton-on-trent, so it only takes me about 40 mins, lol.

But I'm still living on campus, so much more fun.
Reply 13
I live in Dorset :s-smilie:
Reply 14
fairy spangles
This is gonna sound like the worst question ever - but do people move from other parts of the country to staffs uni?

well yeah.... i mean i moved to staffs uni from kent, which is like... 250 miles away or so?!?! plus we get lots of foreign students here so it's not just locals that some to staffs uni
What's an IRC server thingy??
Reply 16
Drifting_Snow
What's an IRC server thingy??

Internet Relay Chat, its a bit like msn for geeks :p:.
well more like chat rooms really
Reply 17
Name: Vic / Wiggler / That TSR Guy / Mentor Vic / 'big man' / cambrosarosarus / 'sick vic' / the short asian... lol yeah depends on where/how you know me... :P certain 'in' ones there but most people know me as Vic

What year are you in?: Starting my 2nd year in September

What subject are you doing?: Currently Doing BSc Film Production Technology, but in the middle of trying to change my degree again

What campus are you on?: Stafford!!

What are your favourite hobbies? Riding Rollercoaster, Getting Drunk, Cinema etc

Interests? Film Making, Alton Towers, Radios

Food? Filipino & Chinese Food are amazing... my student meal specialty is making a spagetti bake

Colour? ORANGE!!!!!!! hense the colour of my username

Books? I've read the noughts and crosses trilogy a few weeks back and they were great

Websites? TSR, Ebay, Xtremev4, Rapidshare, Facebook

Pets? None, but might better a bunny for our house in september

Describe yourself in 1 sentence: Randomness personified

What made your pick staffs? It was the only uni anywhere that did the course i originally applied to do, but changed during freshers week when i arrived lol... although i in the process of trying to change back lol... yeah sillly i know

Are you glad? Do you regret it? Yeah i'm glad i came! love it here regret it?!!? no! not one bit... yeah it's full of sad computer nerds but it's still a great place

Best thing about Staffs? My friends and the stuff we get up to

Worst thing? way tooooooooo many sad wow geeks and social tards

How did you feel on the first day? so happy i finally got to uni and glad to meet up with the guys i met at step ahead the month before and all the great ppl i met online too

Did much settled in did you feel in freshers week? I frikin loved freshers week. the Alton Towers & Paintball trips where great. loved the events at the SU like the school disco

Was it hard to make friends? No way, not at all...

Anything you would like to say to prospective students? Ditch the mmorpg's and quests and crap and try breath some fresh air, enjoy real life, then ppl mite stop bitching on about lame and dead stafford is.

What job would you like to do when you have left? tbh i really don't know... still would love to be a teacher but not straight away. i wanna do it a few years down the line via a GTP rather than a PGCE.
Oooh geeky msn XD

And you ^ should totally get a bunny, they're awesome :P - get a white one, call him Snowpuff XD
Reply 19
Name: Olly

What year are you in?: Going into 2nd year

What subject are you doing?: BSc Film Production Tech, best course there!!

What campus are you on?: Stafford

What are your favourite hobbies? Making films, drinking, gigs,

Food? In my first year I wasn't the best chef, so had to live off pasta, pretty sick of the stuff now! I do make a mean stir fry though :biggrin:

Colour? Meh, all of them?

Books? I'm not too much of a book guy, but currently reading Digital Film Making by Mike Figgis. Very useful!

Websites? TSR, Ebay, Video Copilot, Facebook

Pets? None, but my g/f has like a million cats. Doesn't really help that im allergic :frown:

Describe yourself in 1 sentence: Straight up guy who always up for a laugh.

What made your pick staffs? Had a quality course and great facilities. The lecturers were really nice on the open day, and seemed like a cool place.

Are you glad?Yep, I was kinda hoping for a bit more of a city experience when I went to uni, which Staffs isn't, but the course is awesome, got loads of great mates and can't wait to get back!

Best thing about Staffs?
Brilliant course and great mates

Worst thing? The town can be pretty quiet, and as Wiggler said, lots of 'TEH INTERWEBZZZZZZ LOLZ!!!!1' types lol

How did you feel on the first day? Pretty nervous that Id just been dropped into a strange place with no one I knew, but really excited that I had started.

Did much settled in did you feel in freshers week? Was pretty good, the paintballing was good fun, and they put on lots of stuff to do. This years is looking to be way better though!

Was it hard to make friends? Nope

Anything you would like to say to prospective students? If you like the look of the course then go for it, don't be put off by all the comments about how lame the place is.

What job would you like to do when you have left? Something in the film industry. I still don't really know if I wanna go into production or post, so im not too sure yet.

Quick Reply