The Student Room Group

Cambridge Archaeology and Anthropology Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

That was my degree programme!

Cambridge are really flexible on A level subjects for arch /anth so look at subjects that you really enjoy. My A2s were in French, English Literature, History and Biology but there were people in my year without an A2 science but who had geography / archaeology.

Let me know if you have any questions - happy to answer about the course / colleges etc.
Do biology, or if not do geology or chemistry. The Bio Anth people want the university to put in the prospectus that they recommend Biology, but the other departments (Arch and Soc Anth) are worried it will put off applicants. If you have the choice I highly recommend biology.

DISCLAIMER: For people already doing A levels you don't need biology at all, and they won't discriminate against those who aren't offering it. It is simply helpful for those already on the course because they can jump through a lot of the initial theory we have to do.
Reply 62
The West Wing
Do biology, or if not do geology or chemistry. The Bio Anth people want the university to put in the prospectus that they recommend Biology, but the other departments (Arch and Soc Anth) are worried it will put off applicants. If you have the choice I highly recommend biology.

DISCLAIMER: For people already doing A levels you don't need biology at all, and they won't discriminate against those who aren't offering it. It is simply helpful for those already on the course because they can jump through a lot of the initial theory we have to do.

I broadly agree with this; biology is not a prerequisite for any aspect of the Tripos, yet an understanding of biological fundamentals will certainly help when it comes to specializing in the more "scientific" papers offered during part's IIa and IIb (i.e., Archaeological science, zooarchaeology).

The Faculty is flexible, as previous posters have noted: indeed, the varied backgrounds of its students simply makes our interpretations wider, but it certainly hasn't hindered any of us. My A-levels were in History, English Literature and Media Studies, yet I know those who took more than one science, or maths.
yeh I'm good at Biology (predicted A*) but i find it very boring lol
I'm particulary interested in Archaeology and the whole Egyptian thing they're doing. Was just wondering if Archaeology at A Level is seen as a 'soft' subject? If not I'll do that, as for Biology I will keep what everyone has said in mind but you dont HAVE to do it right?
oh and I was also wondering if Christs is a good college? it particulary appealed to me for silly reasons but it just feels right. anything I should know?
sillylily315
yeh I'm good at Biology (predicted A*) but i find it very boring lol
I'm particulary interested in Archaeology and the whole Egyptian thing they're doing. Was just wondering if Archaeology at A Level is seen as a 'soft' subject? If not I'll do that, as for Biology I will keep what everyone has said in mind but you dont HAVE to do it right?

No, you don't have to have biology and, yes, archaeology is okay and not considered a soft A-level subject. See here for more information on A-level choices and acceptance of archaeology A-level at Cambridge.
okay thanks everyone! i think i'll do French, Art, Economics and History because it says on their website that History and a language is desirable or something.
Reply 67
I did Archaeology at A level and it has been by far the most useful of my A Levels in relation to the course.
Vivien_K
I did Archaeology at A level and it has been by far the most useful of my A Levels in relation to the course.

oh i might do Archaeology then, thats the one I want to do but i just thought Cambridge might like History better??
Reply 69
sillylily315
oh i might do Archaeology then, thats the one I want to do but i just thought Cambridge might like History better??

I did history, archaeology, French and english Lit. Asides from wishing I'd done biology, I found that a nice mix. I think Arch is just as relevant (if not more so) for Arch & Anth than history. I talked about my A Level in the interview and certainly didn't feel anyone was dismissive of it. :smile:
Vivien_K
I did history, archaeology, French and english Lit. Asides from wishing I'd done biology, I found that a nice mix. I think Arch is just as relevant (if not more so) for Arch & Anth than history. I talked about my A Level in the interview and certainly didn't feel anyone was dismissive of it. :smile:

Is is hard? Just because you know the new A* thingy, I really need to get an A* in at least one subject!
Reply 71
sillylily315
Is is hard? Just because you know the new A* thingy, I really need to get an A* in at least one subject!

I didn't find it horribly hard, but I absolutely loved the course :smile: . I'd say it's of a similar difficulty to history or geography. I got near full marks (so would have been an A*) so yes, that's clearly achievable, I think the hardest part was the coursework.
okay
so now im thinking im much more interested in anthropology
and my A Level choices have changed
would Government & Politics, French, Economics and History be good choices for Social Anthropology at Cambridge?
thanks, and sorry for changing my mind all the time :P
Reply 73
sillylily315
okay
so now im thinking im much more interested in anthropology
and my A Level choices have changed
would Government & Politics, French, Economics and History be good choices for Social Anthropology at Cambridge?
thanks, and sorry for changing my mind all the time :P

I may be wrong, but I'm almost certain that you can't just apply for Social Anthropology on its own at Cambridge. I don't see anything wrong with those A-level choices though, probably more sensible than mine:smile:
Reply 74
dakws
I may be wrong, but I'm almost certain that you can't just apply for Social Anthropology on its own at Cambridge. I don't see anything wrong with those A-level choices though, probably more sensible than mine:smile:

You are correct; social anthropology does not constitute an independent tripos. You can certainly specialize in social anthropology, during parts IIa and IIb, yet you cannot do this from part I.
Catsmeat
You are correct; social anthropology does not constitute an independent tripos. You can certainly specialize in social anthropology, during parts IIa and IIb, yet you cannot do this from part I.

I got myself some work experience at the MAA in Cambridge :yep: and booked a 3 month expedition in India living with a small community which will be interesting, especially considering how the DOS for anthropology at Christs did 25 years work in India :o: Now I need to raise 3 grand somehow...
Reply 76
T-o dore
I got myself some work experience at the MAA in Cambridge :yep: and booked a 3 month expedition in India living with a small community which will be interesting, especially considering how the DOS for anthropology at Christs did 25 years work in India :o: Now I need to raise 3 grand somehow...

Congratulations. Considering that the MAA operates an intensive outreach programme you should certainly never run out of things to do (that is, we are often e-mailed for our assistance).

Best of luck with raising that money.
Catsmeat

oh yeh yeh I know that, sorry! I meant that if I wanted to specialize in Social Anthropology in my 2nd year - rather than Biological Anthropology or Archaeology.
just wondering, what were your A Levels dakws?
Reply 78
sillylily315
oh yeh yeh I know that, sorry! I meant that if I wanted to specialize in Social Anthropology in my 2nd year - rather than Biological Anthropology or Archaeology.
just wondering, what were your A Levels dakws?

History, English literature, Latin and Art-Textiles. The last is a load of, for lack of a better word, twaddle (as well as being absolutely ****-loads of work - in other words, not good). I also did an open university course in genetics, 'cause I'm actually more interested in the bio-anth bit, but my subjects were completely arts based.
Catsmeat
Congratulations. Considering that the MAA operates an intensive outreach programme you should certainly never run out of things to do (that is, we are often e-mailed for our assistance).

Best of luck with raising that money.

Thanks! Yeah im really excited about it. I should have quite a bit to talk about at the interview, with digging at Marsham and working at the MAA. I should get 3 A's, but im not sure about the aea critical thinking and r.s :frown:, it looks like a bit of a lottery and im not sure why i entered myself in for them...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending