The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
ConservativeNucleophile
Don't look now, but you've just validated my position. You cannot be truly guaranteed that there is no risk of recidivism until after the murderer is eating dirt six-foot under.

Er, obviously.

I do not accept this is justification for the death penalty though, for reasons I've already explained.
Ok picture this scenario. A wive's husband has been abusing her and generally been a bastard for years, the wife can't live a proper life because of this, and one day kills him, with intent. That's murder, but do you really think that she will reoffend? Do you really think she should be given the death penalty also?

And to the thing about the electric chair, it's still enjoying someone's death, which is sick even if you don't want to call it murder, i think it's just as bad...
Meteorshower
Ok picture this scenario. A wive's husband has been abusing her and generally been a bastard for years, the wife can't live a proper life because of this, and one day kills him, with intent. That's murder, but do you really think that she will reoffend? Do you really think she should be given the death penalty also?

How do you define "with intent?"

But I don't think she should get the death penalty, no. Not even close to a suitable candidate. In fact, under exigent circumstances, I think a wife who kills her husband after years of abuse shouldn't even see the inside of a prison cell.

Meteorshower
And to the thing about the electric chair, it's still enjoying someone's death, which is sick even if you don't want to call it murder, i think it's just as bad...

Okay, as you apparently don't understand the definition of murder:

1 : the crime of unlawfully killing a person especially with malice aforethought

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/murder

Notice the word unlawful? That means that a judicial execution as authorised by law is not murder. Whether you like it or not.

And, oddly enough, I know somebody who witnessed an electric chair execution in Georgia (long story). Apparently, it's nowhere near as inhumane as it's made out to be in the media/movies. No violent shaking; no smoking; no burns; no electrical zapping sounds; no frying of the body. Inmate sat down, got an electrode attached to his head and leg, got a quick bolt of electricity, was unconscious in a very tiny fraction of second, and the heart stopped within 20 seconds. Much quicker, and arguably less painful or prone to error, than lethal injection.
ConservativeNucleophile

But I don't think she should get the death penalty, no. Not even close to a suitable candidate. In fact, under exigent circumstances, I think a wife who kills her husband after years of abuse shouldn't even see the inside of a prison cell.

Okay, as you apparently don't understand the definition of murder:

Notice the word unlawful? That means that a judicial execution as authorised by law is not murder. Whether you like it or not.

And, oddly enough, I know somebody who witnessed an electric chair execution in Georgia (long story). Apparently, it's nowhere near as inhumane as it's made out to be in the media/movies. No violent shaking; no smoking; no burns; no electrical zapping sounds; no frying of the body. Inmate sat down, got an electrode attached to his head and leg, got a quick bolt of electricity, was unconscious in a very tiny fraction of second, and the heart stopped within 20 seconds. Much quicker, and arguably less painful or prone to error, than lethal injection.

I'll agree that murder is an 'unlawful' killing, but it tends to be the person with the biggest stick that makes the laws; and they're not always fair! For example if a Saudi woman is abused by her husband and kills him she's probably going to die in some rather medieval way. While I recognise that I have used a very extreme example, I've used it as to show a point; the law is not always 'correct'.
I don't know the details of this case but in general, murder sentences are far, far too short.
History Lost in Physics
I'll agree that murder is an 'unlawful' killing, but it tends to be the person with the biggest stick that makes the laws; and they're not always fair! For example if a Saudi woman is abused by her husband and kills him she's probably going to die in some rather medieval way. While I recognise that I have used a very extreme example, I've used it as to show a point; the law is not always 'correct'.

Yeah, I know what you're saying. Saudi Arabia is the only country in the world that still practices beheading as a method of execution, for another example (although, admittedly, even France only stopped using the guillotine in 1981).

Regardless, that's the definition of murder. If the punishment for murder (or whatever) is death "by intravenous injection of a substance or substances in a lethal quantity sufficient to cause death and until such convict is dead,"[1] then it's not murder when somebody is strapped to a gurney and has their veins shot full of 70ml of concentrated potassium chloride.

[1] Source: Texas Code of Criminal Procedure, §43.14
ConservativeNucleophile
Yeah, I know what you're saying. Saudi Arabia is the only country in the world that still practices beheading as a method of execution, for another example (although, admittedly, even France only stopped using the guillotine in 1981).

Regardless, that's the definition of murder. If the punishment for murder (or whatever) is death "by intravenous injection of a substance or substances in a lethal quantity sufficient to cause death and until such convict is dead,"[1] then it's not murder when somebody is strapped to a gurney and has their veins shot full of 70ml of concentrated potassium chloride.

[1] Source: Texas Code of Criminal Procedure, §43.14

Technically they could kill people by connecting their circulatory system to a pressurised water system and just destroying their blood vessels... Wouldn't put that past the texans!
History Lost in Physics
Technically they could kill people by connecting their circulatory system to a pressurised water system and just destroying their blood vessels... Wouldn't put that past the texans!

Surprisingly, as cowboy-ish as those Texans are, they have quite a developed system for executing inmates. That is, of course, because they've executed four times as many people as the second-most active state. (Texas has executed 408 inmates since the reintroduction of the death penalty in 1976, runner-up Virginia has executed, as of yesterday, 102 inmates.) Texas even has its own purpose-built execution facility: the Walls Unit in Livingston, TX.
ConservativeNucleophile
Surprisingly, as cowboy-ish as those Texans are, they have quite a developed system for executing inmates. That is, of course, because they've executed four times as many people as the second-most active state. (Texas has executed 408 inmates since the reintroduction of the death penalty in 1976, runner-up Virginia has executed, as of yesterday, 102 inmates.) Texas even has its own purpose-built execution facility: the Walls Unit in Livingston, TX.

Texas is one of those states which is a bunch of counterintuitive factors; in some ways it seems so advanced; and then uses it's advantages to make a sort of backward far-right waste land (I have no problem with right or left - just extremes). When did the US retract the death penalty - and why ?
History Lost in Physics
Texas is one of those states which is a bunch of counterintuitive factors; in some ways it seems so advanced; and then uses it's advantages to make a sort of backward far-right waste land (I have no problem with right or left - just extremes).

Hmm . . . maybe. I'm sure you've caught on by now that I tend to support the death penalty, but I do understand your rationale.

History Lost in Physics
When did the US retract the death penalty - and why ?

The US never abolished the death penalty by a legislative process (although some individual states have done; a few even before the UK abolished hanging for murder).

In 1972, the Supreme Court ruled in Furman v. Georgia that the "arbitrary and inconsistent imposition" of death penalty as then practiced in the US was unconstitutional. In the case, it particularly stressed the requirement for a capital punishment trial to be separated into two phases: the trial phase and the punishment phase. In the trial phase, a jury decides on the guilt of the defendant. Once a guilty verdict has passed, a separate punishment phase is held in which the jury is presented with a case from the prosecution for imposing the death penalty, and hears mitigating evidence from the defence lawyers. A jury then votes on life-or-death, and if a death sentence is passed, the trial judge can then formally sentence the defendant to death -- although the jury recommendation is non-binding, and the judge can choose to overrule the jury and impose a sentence of life imprisonment instead. If the jury decides against the death penalty, life imprisonment is the default punishment -- the judge may not overrule the jury in this instance.

The individual states each wrote and passed into law these recommendations. In 1976, another case was brought before the Supreme Court, Gregg v. Georgia, and the Supreme Court held the new judicial procedures to be constitutional. Thus, the death penalty effectively became legal again. The first execution under the modern-day death penalty system occurred in January 1977, when Gary Gilmore was executed by a firing squad in Utah. However, most states didn't begin executions for another several years, as it took time for convicts to work their way through the appeals system. Texas performed the world's first lethal injection execution in 1982, when Charles Brooks was executed. Most states didn't begin executions for up to a decade after the Gregg ruling. Since reintroduction, 1,114 inmates have been executed -- most recently in Virginia on Thursday, and one in Texas and one in Mississippi on Wednesday (although three in the space of two days is very uncommon).

The obligatory web links for references:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furman_v._Georgia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregg_v._Georgia
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?did=414&scid=8
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?scid=15&did=410#SuspendingtheDeathPenalty
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jC2Ex7ynBVOrf0lv-MgOqX8mqWGAD923TSD80
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i-udk0Hm32Eurxb9S7JOP25nwrLwD924ITVG2
ConservativeNucleophile
Hmm . . . maybe. I'm sure you've caught on by now that I tend to support the death penalty, but I do understand your rationale.

The US never abolished the death penalty by a legislative process (although some individual states have done; a few even before the UK abolished hanging for murder).

In 1972, the Supreme Court ruled in Furman v. Georgia that the "arbitrary and inconsistent imposition" of death penalty as then practiced in the US was unconstitutional. In the case, it particularly stressed the requirement for a capital punishment trial to be separated into two phases: the trial phase and the punishment phase. In the trial phase, a jury decides on the guilt of the defendant. Once a guilty verdict has passed, a separate punishment phase is held in which the jury is presented with a case from the prosecution for imposing the death penalty, and hears mitigating evidence from the defence lawyers. A jury then votes on life-or-death, and if a death sentence is passed, the trial judge can then formally sentence the defendant to death -- although the jury recommendation is non-binding, and the judge can choose to overrule the jury and impose a sentence of life imprisonment instead. If the jury decides against the death penalty, life imprisonment is the default punishment -- the judge may not overrule the jury in this instance.

The individual states each wrote and passed into law these recommendations. In 1976, another case was brought before the Supreme Court, Gregg v. Georgia, and the Supreme Court held the new judicial procedures to be constitutional. Thus, the death penalty effectively became legal again. The first execution under the modern-day death penalty system occurred in January 1977, when Gary Gilmore was executed by a firing squad in Utah. However, most states didn't begin executions for another several years, as it took time for convicts to work their way through the appeals system. Texas performed the world's first lethal injection execution in 1982, when Charles Brooks was executed. Most states didn't begin executions for up to a decade after the Gregg ruling. Since reintroduction, 1,114 inmates have been executed -- most recently in Virginia on Thursday, and one in Texas and one in Mississippi on Wednesday (although three in the space of two days is very uncommon).

The obligatory web links for references:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furman_v._Georgia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregg_v._Georgia
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?did=414&scid=8
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?scid=15&did=410#SuspendingtheDeathPenalty
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jC2Ex7ynBVOrf0lv-MgOqX8mqWGAD923TSD80
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i-udk0Hm32Eurxb9S7JOP25nwrLwD924ITVG2

Danke schone - I do love a personally tailored explanation, they give you all the information you could require :smile:

I don't know if you've seen the original film 12 angry men, but if you have, would the 'compulsory death sentance' for finding a man guilty, be typical of the pre-70's american system?
Reply 191
ViolatedTreason
but in the US, the death sentence doesnt prevennt people from killing others.. (i do agree with the death sentence btw...)

i agree that we should have harsher sentences, and capital punishment for some offences..

What do you expect? Of course it won't prevent people killing others in the US because the death sentence rarely occurs... And it's legal to sell guns to anyone over there, AND people actually have the money to buy them.

These harsher punishments need to become common knowledge, and people need to be strict. There are always exceptions for who should receive the punishment though, which is good, as long as it is used morally and correctly.
Ewan
I watched a program the other day about some women protestings that life wasn't life. She pissed me right off lol! Bitter old lady! She thought that all people who commit murder should get LIFE in prison, with no chance of parole.

The victims family will never be the same, your right, but how is keeping him in prison another 5/10/15/20/25 years going to make any difference. My stance, is that theres no point ruining two lives, he deserves a second chance. Theres a reason the defendent has rights, and the deceased doesnt - their dead!

I think how sentences currently work is perfectly fine. Life sentence, with a minimum sentence that has to be served. Parole can then be offered, depending on the inmates progress. If someone recieves 18 years minimum sentence, they have a chance at having atleast some sort of life outside prison, increase it by much and its just too late. I can't see any improvements to be made here personally.

I respect your opinion however, I don't know about this case but the most recent murders that sickened me beyond belief was about those two young french guys who were tortured and burned to death. Those caught should never be released they should be punished for their acts.

I do believe in an eye for an eye. You take a life which the most precious thing one has, you don't deserve yours. Life in prison should mean life.
Reply 193
Generally the sentence is more lenient if someone is under the age of 18. Most prisons are tough places and 12 years is a tough punishment for a 16 year-old.
~|Shock|~
Generally the sentence is more lenient if someone is under the age of 18. Most prisons are tough places and 12 years is a tough punishment for a 16 year-old.

But it wont be 12 years. Not if he behaves, which im suspecting he will.

EDIT: Sorry I take that back... hes in for 12 years minimum before he can apply for porole.
ConservativeNucleophile

I meant premeditated sorry XD

But what you're saying is that some murderers are not as bad as all, and they don't all deserve the death penalty?

Oh, and because one elelctric chair death was relatively efficient, does not mean they always are.
History Lost in Physics
Danke schone - I do love a personally tailored explanation, they give you all the information you could require :smile:

Glad my writing that was worth it! :p:

History Lost in Physics
I don't know if you've seen the original film 12 angry men, but if you have, would the 'compulsory death sentance' for finding a man guilty, be typical of the pre-70's american system?

I've not seen the film, no. However, the death penalty was not a mandatory sentence for murder in the pre-Furman system -- unlike in England, where hanging was the mandatory sentence for a murder conviction prior to 1957 (it was abolished in the Homicide Act 1957, where the DP became an optional sentence for murder). The problem with mandatory death sentencing was that in a case where the jury felt sorry for the defendant (such as the beaten-wife-who-suddenly-snaps scenario), the jury tended to find the defendant innocent to avoid sentencing her to death (as is their right according to the Magna Carta), and thus the defendant escaped any punishment.

Sk1lLz
And it's legal to sell guns to anyone over there, AND people actually have the money to buy them.

It is common for firearms murders to attract the death penalty because most states' death penalty statutes specify murder committed with a firearm as an aggravating factor which makes a defendant eligible for the death penalty. Here's the list of all the people executed in the United States this year, the state they were executed in, and the murder weapon they used:

William Earl Lynd, Georgia -- gun
Earl Wesley Berry, Mississippi -- victim strangled with bare hands
Kevin Green, Virginia -- gun
Curtis Osborne, Georgia -- gun
David Mark Hill, South Carolina -- gun
Karl Chamberlain, Texas -- gun
Terry Lyn Short, Oklahoma -- arson attack
James Earl Reed, South Carolina -- gun
Robert Yarbrough, Virginia -- knife
Mark Dean Schwab, Florida -- raped and strangled 11-year-old boy
Carlton Turner, Texas -- gun
Kent Jermaine Jackson, Virginia -- stabbed, strangled, raped, fractured skull and nose, and lodged a walking stick in the throat of his 79-year-old female victim (pleasant chap, obviously)
Dale Leo Bishop, Mississippi -- beat his victim with the claw of his framing hammer
Derrick Sonnier, Texas -- stabbed, stomped on, bludgeoned and strangled his two victims (mother and baby), then dumped their bodies in a bathtub
Christopher Scott Emmett, Virginia -- beat his victim with the base of a motel room lamp

Out of the 15 executions so far in 2008, 7 were committed with a gun. Just under 50%.

Meteorshower
But what you're saying is that some murderers are not as bad as all, and they don't all deserve the death penalty?

Yep. Exactly what I'm saying.

Meteorshower
Oh, and because one elelctric chair death was relatively efficient, does not mean they always are.

Out of the hundreds (closer to thousands) of executions in the electric chair conducted in the US (and, for a few decades, in the Philippines as they adopted the electric chair when they were a US colony, before shifting to lethal injection independently), only a handful could be considered botched:

There were two electric chair executions in Florida, that of Jesse Tafero in 1990 and Pedro Medina in 1997, which caused the heads of both convicts to catch fire (they would have been unconscious by that time, however). The first was due to the executioner using the wrong type of sponge for the head electrode, which then proceeded to catch fire. The second was strangely written off as a malfunction of Ol' Sparky. In 1999, another Florida inmate, Allen Lee Davis, had a nosebleed in the chair, which caused a large pool of blood to form on his shirt. If you fancy putting yourself off food for a while, there are photos of the aftermath of his execution available on the internet. These three executions led to the Florida chair being replaced by a brand new one by the state, and legislation passed shortly after Davis' execution led to lethal injection becoming the primary method (with electrocution becoming optional) of execution in the State of Florida.

In general, lethal injection has a far better reputation for cleanliness and humaneness than the electric chair.
I find reading about the electric chair stuff so interesting. Is that wrong.
Wellll you should cut murders into little pieces and watch them cry out in pain.

Oh what a good Christian I am :yes:
ConservativeNucleophile

Yep. Exactly what I'm saying.

That's good to know XD I have no problem against people supporting the death penalty (even though i'm against it, each to their own and all that) but i have a problem with people who think ALL murders should be punished with death.

Latest

Trending

Trending