The Student Room Group

HElp im ****ting myself

alright. for my 1 of my english gcse courseworks i did the original writing or whatever its called. I wrote a story in 1st person. But i used a few phrases from songs such as "the sun stretched across this nighttime scene" and "use me holly" and "you've got your gun to my head". I also used the phrase "42 grams of heart attack" to describe a big mac which is in a Rise Against video.
The thing is, if the examiner googles these its shows that their from songs.
will i get DQed from all of my AQA exams? Im doing like 5 subjects from AQA
:frown:
Reply 1
Well, you could be... depending on how much you've used. Most courseworks are filtered through using a software and it checks up against the web etc... If you're in year 11, don't worry anymore and hope for the best on results day ~ :] (Why didn't you think of it before?)

If you're in year 10 you could beg the teacher to let you re-do some parts so all's good. If you haven't handed it in yet, just tweak it a bit - most songs are horribly cliché anyways. Though I'm really liking the "42 grams of heart attack" :]
Reply 2
im in year 11. :frown:
i was just stuck so i listened to some songs for inspiration as it sort of relates to my story. am i screwed then?
Its just a few phrases ( 2 or 3) in one piece of english cw. None of my other cw in any other subjects has anything like this.
Is this plagirism?
Reply 3
btw they're from a blink 182 song and a TBS song. sort of obsecure bands? to UK examiners anyway.
Reply 4
It depends on how much the examiner will pick up on it.

If the phrases seem a bit iffy and completely out of sync with your other writing, he/she may become suspicious.

This is all merely speculation, and you'll just have to wait till August to find out the possible results.
Reply 5
I doubt there will be a problem- Unless the examiner is a massive Rise Against fan.
No need to worry now. Just chill out and sort it out later when the exam results are out if a problem arises :smile:.
Guinny
Well, you could be... depending on how much you've used. Most courseworks are filtered through using a software and it checks up against the web etc... If you're in year 11, don't worry anymore and hope for the best on results day ~ :] (Why didn't you think of it before?)

Nah you'll only get screwed if you're copying whole essays 1 for 1
Reply 8
I did my original writing c/w by hand; get in!
If you get caught, you should just claim it was deliberate - and your inclusion of song lyrics is symbolic of the main character's desire to live a rock-and-roll lifestyle.

That'd shut 'em up. :smile:
Have you already handed it in. You could always change the 42 grams to 52 grams or something -_-
Reply 11
jonnythemoose
If you get caught, you should just claim it was deliberate - and your inclusion of song lyrics is symbolic of the main character's desire to live a rock-and-roll lifestyle.

Rep. :biggrin:
jonnythemoose

Heh, that's brilliant

Rep, definitely...

:clip:
No, you won't get penalised, I use lyrics from songs a lot too, and it's never done me any harm. As long as your whole essay wasn't lyrics to a song then it's fine.

Latest