Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

5 year free railcard - Wher's the catch?

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am currently with HSBC and was looking into student accounts for next year. NATWEST's offers caught my eye and i was wondering if there is any catch or if u actually get a 5 year free railcard. If yes then can u use that anywhere?

Thanks.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    A terrible student bank account.

That's the catch.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redemption)
    A terrible student bank account.

That's the catch.
    Lol:p:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizz_kid)
    Hi,
    I am currently with HSBC and was looking into student accounts for next year. NATWEST's offers caught my eye and i was wondering if there is any catch or if u actually get a 5 year free railcard. If yes then can u use that anywhere?

Thanks.
    There are some minimum usage levels you have to satisfy. If you actually use it as your primary bank account, you'll easily meet these, and you'll get your railcard for the next 5 years, yes. You can use it anywhere within the UK, though I'm not entirely sure about Ireland.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hm I got one a couple of days ago and I don't think there is any catch.
    You just have to keep using the account every year so they send you the new one everytime
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks.
    it is "only" worth £120 and it is card for discounts not for free transport
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Other than that - no catch. I'm with Natwest and I've got that (from a few years ago now) and it's great. They automatically send you a new one every July
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks.
    They work out that most people are unlikely to move their bank account once they got one. Sorry the catch you will stay with them for life.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ban...t-bank-account tend to list the best student accounts and compare. Yet they admit that won't happened until 2008/09 account details come out in early August.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tucker672)
    it is "only" worth £120 and it is card for discounts not for free transport
    ooooooh..so u dun get free travel? Lol. I thought that u did. So should i stay with HSBC coz they hav a bigger overdraft facility?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ooooooh..so u dun get free travel? Lol. I thought that u did. So should i stay with HSBC coz they hav a bigger overdraft facility?
    Google. Young Person Railcard. But you get 1/3 of your train fares which is good.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irv)
    Google. Young Person Railcard. But you get 1/3 of your train fares which is good.

koool.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As said above, the catch is that you'll likely stay with them throughout the rest of your life.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why do people keep coming out with the fact HSBC have a bigger overdraft facility. Just because it says upto £2000 if you actually look into it you only get £1000 in your first year and in increases upto £2000 only if you are on a 5 year course. Natwest does the same but starts off at £1250 in the first year, so the Natwest overdraft is in fact bigger then HSBCs.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Natwest is a terrible bank. The branch in my town has one employee in at any one time, and she is usually qualified to do nothing. They want you to do everything by machine or post.

Saying that, I'm still probably going to use them just for the railcard and overdraft.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhys.)
    As said above, the catch is that you'll likely stay with them throughout the rest of your life.
    The rest of your student life :p:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    depnds how much your going to use your Rail card, because if u have to make journeys from say london to bham, over time it will save u a huge amount. espc if trips are freq. But if its only like 2 stops away maybe its not worth it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Well I got the Natwest account just to get the rail card and haven't used the account a single time - yet they still sent me it before the first one they gave me expired. There doesn't seem to be any catch - it is quite literally something for nothing..
    Oh and it's really good for me - St Andrews to London is rather pricey as it is - and 20% off does make quite a big difference.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tucker672)
    The rest of your student life :p:
    Nope. People tend to stay with their student account post-graduation, presumably out of laziness or habit. So they offer you huge interest-free overdrafts and free rail cards (which they lose money on) in order to reel you in now, so they can make money off you when you're earning your big graduate paycheck.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The catch is they intend to lock you in for the rest of life. Changing bank accounts is a right pain.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    NatWest have been a good bank in my experience, plenty of people on the desk, a special student section, always someone on the phone, good internet bank and then railcard tops it off really.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 6, 2008
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.