The Student Room Group

Mature student and GDL/LPC

After 3 years working in a Big 4 Indirect Tax practice I have decided that I want to pursue an alternative career in law and am looking at all the GDL/LPC courses. My work did involve law (VAT is particularly case-based with the law constantly changing and new cases appearing every day) and I did work on legal issues with our legal team. I have also passed my professional qualifications.

How do you think potential employers are likely to look at this? I do know that tax law (for example) is becoming quite important and many firms are setting up their own tax departments so do you think my experience is likely to be seen in a positive light? I have already had experience in a work environment (team work, deadlines, delegating, providing feedback, client meetings etc) so know how it all works....

And finally, am currently deciding between the University of Birmingham, the College of Law Birmingham and Birmingham City University for the GDL/LPC. Taking into consideration cost and the review from the Solicitors Regulation Authority, it seems that it is between the College of Law and BCU (UoB does offer the GDL but not the LPC). How are firms (large and medium sized) likely to view someone who has passed their diplomas from either institution (i.e. is the College more likely to be held in higher regard?)

Thanks
Reply 1
I'm told that where you do the LPC / BVC is more important than where you do your GDL. However, your experience of tax would certainly be an advantage if you were to pursue that area of law.
Reply 2
From my experience (PT BVC with 40 or so others in the same boat) the only things that matter are place you did your DEGREE and A level results - unfortunately this seems to remain the most important thing no matter how old you are, how you have changed and how successful your current career is.
Reply 3
Thanks for your replies...:smile:

I read History at University College London (2.1) and did Eng Lit (A), History (A), Classical Civ (A) and Gen Studies (A) for Alevels. I also did an MA as well....

Any idea where I could get an independent 3rd party opinion of the various providers and how the industry perceives them?

Cheers
Reply 4
VATMan
Thanks for your replies...:smile:

I read History at University College London (2.1) and did Eng Lit (A), History (A), Classical Civ (A) and Gen Studies (A) for Alevels. I also did an MA as well....

Any idea where I could get an independent 3rd party opinion of the various providers and how the industry perceives them?

Cheers

In that case your absolutely fine then - it won't matter who you choose (within reason). How about something like Times on Line, or calling the recruitment departments of the firms you are interested in? You will never get the same answer from 2 people unfortunately. In my experience the degree is the most important thing and UCL is way up there. :smile:
Reply 5
Cool. One final thing...in respect of the reference, obviously I can't use my Uni professors as that was quite some time ago so are they likely to accept a former colleague (my ex mentor)? WOuld she be required to say anything in writing about me?

Cheers
Reply 6
Yeah - when I did my second degree it was ten years after the 1st, so I just used my then line manager.

Latest

Trending

Trending