The Student Room Group

The Big 'Which Cambridge College?' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zoedotdot
Hi, I'm at Emma so I can answer from that perspective:

The surroundings at Emma are lovely. Perhaps not as big and impressive as some other colleges like John's or Trinity, but we do have some really pretty buildings. At the centre of college we have the Paddock, which is a big open area of grass which is surrounded by all of the buildings and a pond on one side. It's a really peaceful place and becomes a bit of a social centre in the summer, as on hot days we all eat out there. Our gardener is really good as well so the gardens always look pretty, but in a very relaxed and natural looking way rather than regimented or anything. Anyway, the best way to get a feel for it is to look at the photos on the website.

Atmosphere: Pretty laid back. Not especially rah - obviously every year has rah elements, but they're really easy to avoid. Everyone works very hard, but there's a very caring and supportive atmosphere at all levels of college life, so it's a really nice place to be.

Student body: Changes every year so it's difficult to summarise! Generally nice and a fairly normal cross section of the university. I think the supportive atmosphere definitely filters down to the students as well :smile: Not as political as at other colleges I don't think.

General environment: Probably covered above! Let me know if you have any more specific questions.

Hi, thanks for replying! :smile:

Do you get the obnoxious, oh-I'm-too-smart-for-my-own-good types at Emma? Is everybody generally pretty decent?
Original post by Anhedonia

Do you get the obnoxious, oh-I'm-too-smart-for-my-own-good types at Emma? Is everybody generally pretty decent?

You get them everywhere, though in pretty low numbers. Nowhere has more than anywhere else.
In fact, the you get pretty much the same mix of people wherever you go (except maybe at Johns...)
what colleges are more interested in the reasons why medicine instead of the scientific ones?
Original post by calender1994
what colleges are more interested in the reasons why medicine instead of the scientific ones?

Really badly written sentence. I'm assuming you mean which colleges want medics as opposed to those interested in science as well as medicine. In which case, I recommend you to probably not apply to Cambridge, as the pre-clinical course wont suit you
you assume incorrectly :P dm
no its not tht i like both science and medicine its just tht i heard some colleges were more interested in the reasons for wanting to do medicine and some were wanting to see ur intellectual curiosity and comprehension
King's students: do you enjoy studying at King's College? What is the interior of the College like?
Help a Venezuelan student decide =(

I was thinking about Hughes Hall before but now I don't know.

What are the things I should take into account when choosing mature college for law?

Are the admissions procedure similar? Any one been through admissions in either of these two college who would be willing to narrate their experience here or on pm?

Thanks very much in advance everyone. Manuel
(edited 12 years ago)
which one has the nicest best law library and supervisors?

and also maybe activities like entrepreneur club? and cheapest food everyday? jaja thanks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi,

I plan to apply for law either for the coming year or the year after depending on a lot of factors. I've looked at the various colleges and have narrowed it to... 10 jaja. I plan to study law as a mature undergraduate international student. I'll be 22 when I matriculate if i get admitted. Can anyone help me weigh the pros and cons between any/all of the colleges I am considering below? Anyone care to tell me what I should be looking out for to help narrow them down? Anyone know any significant specifics about these colleges that should/might deter a prospective law international student? Any gossip and or stereotype? jaja

Ideally I'd like a friendly college but not one that is too tight knit. I don't care about prestige, mostly about distance and number + quality + friendliness of law supervisors. And a big library.. and good food jaja..basic conveniences (a lot of things which is why it's hard to narrow down).

Thanks in advance for your time and help. Manuel

Main ones I am considering
Wolfson
Clare
Emmanuel
St Edmunds
Queens
Selwyn
Robinson

not sure:
corpus christi
downing
queens
hughes hall
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi Manuel,

I'm a current Cambridge undergrad and, whilst I don't know a huge amount about the colleges on your list (my college isn't mentioned), the thing that immediately jumps out at me is that two of the colleges you mentioned, Wolfson and St. Edmunds, are mature colleges, that is that all the students who apply there will be 21 or older, in comparison to the other undergrad colleges, where the first year students will generally be 18 or 19 when they start (there are exceptions, though. One of the first years in my subject at my college is in his mid twenties, and he seems to be enjoying himself just fine). Given that in the undergrad colleges, first years tend to live together (although this obviously wouldn't stop you from getting to know people from other years or other colleges), it might be worth thinking about whether you would prefer to live with people who are slightly younger than you, or a mixture of people of your age and older. I'm 22 (and a final year student) and I know that, after having lived abroad for a year as part of my course, the first year students at my college seem very young to me and I don't have a huge amount in common with them (although they all seem very nice). I think that the mature colleges are probably more international as well (St Eds claims to have over 70 different nationalities represented).

I hope this helps you narrow things down a bit further. Mucho éxito with your application!
King's! I don't know about the supervisors but it has everything else you're after. I can ask around if you like.
Hi there,

I received an offer to study MPhil ISO and been accepted at Clare Hall. How's the college? I know absolutely nothing about it so any information would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Which college has the best supervisors for HSPS?
That feeling when you finally realise "This college is the one for me"

It's amazing isn't it? ^^
Reply 3095
What college would you pick out of:

Christ's
Churchill
Downing
Emmanuel
Jesus
Magdalene
Pemboke
Sidney Sussex

For overall facillities (pool, laundry, etc.) acommodation, good gym, special features (college punts) and location (possible equidistance between city centre and Computer Lab, but anywhere else would also be fine.)
Original post by DanteA
What college would you pick out of:

Christ's
Churchill
Downing
Emmanuel
Jesus
Magdalene
Pemboke
Sidney Sussex

For overall facillities (pool, laundry, etc.) acommodation, good gym, special features (college punts) and location (possible equidistance between city centre and Computer Lab, but anywhere else would also be fine.)

In terms of proximity to the centre (in alphabetical order):

Downing
Emma
Pembroke

I'm at Pembroke, so in terms of facilities:

Pool table, table tennis, tennis courts (I think!)

Gym

Reputation for good food (unless it says "formal", it's what we eat in the canteen every lunch/dinner!)

Library open 8am-midnight

Computer room with 24/7 access

5-10 minutes from the centre

I think that covers everything. However, in terms of other criteria that may/may not be important to you:

Third oldest college (founded in 1347), so it's traditional but with a "modern" outlook

Officially medium-sized with 400 undergraduates, but the individual courts give the college a smaller and more homely feel

Different architectural styles - choice between modern accommodation (built in 1997!) and something more...erm...archaic

Laid-back and friendly atmosphere

I've tried to be impartial, so I won't pass judgement on the other colleges because I don't know enough. Anyway, I hope this helps, and feel free to ask if you've got any more questions about Pembroke. :smile:

EDIT: Fixed the link to our catering manager's food blog. :yep:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tortious

Downing
Emma
Pembroke

Gym

Reputation for [url=http://thepembrokekitchen.blogspot.co.uk/good food

(unless it says "formal", it's what we eat in the canteen every lunch/dinner!)
[*] Library open 8am-midnight
[*] Computer room with 24/7 access
[*] 5-10 minutes from the centre

I think that covers everything. However, in terms of other criteria that may/may not be important to you:

Third oldest college (founded in 1347), so it's traditional but with a "modern" outlook

Officially medium-sized with 400 undergraduates, but the individual courts give the college a smaller and more homely feel

Different architectural styles - choice between modern accommodation (built in 1997!) and something more...erm...archaic

I've tried to be impartial, so I won't pass judgement on the other colleges because I don't know enough. Anyway, I hope this helps, and feel free to ask if you've got any more questions about Pembroke. :smile:

Well, you've got me sold.
Original post by Kidioteque
Well, you've got me sold.

Really? My DoS* will be happy. :p:

*Nick McBride. I'm sure you'll have heard of him from "Letters to a Law Student"... :wink:
Original post by Tortious

Downing
Emma
Pembroke

Gym

Reputation for [url=http://thepembrokekitchen.blogspot.co.uk/good food

(unless it says "formal", it's what we eat in the canteen every lunch/dinner!)
[*] Library open 8am-midnight
[*] Computer room with 24/7 access
[*] 5-10 minutes from the centre

This :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending