The Student Room Group

The Big 'Which Cambridge College?' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TimmonaPortella
They don't consider themselves cool enough/ know they wouldn't get in/ etc.

No, just the age old problem - Cambridge is tough enough without having to explain to everyone why your college's spelling and pronunciation are completely uncorrelated. :tongue:

Spelt like a French breakfast sweet bread and pronounced like your great Aunt.

At least the first half of Caius' name is spelt correctly.
I am torn between which college to chose [i know i only have to chose for October but I am making an early decision].
Emmanuel has squash courts, table tennis room, a fridge in each room, and decent accommodation, and nice grounds.
Downing also has nice grounds, very good accommodation, but it has 'formals' which i dont like the sound of - you have to get dressed in gowns and have tea by candlelight!
I am really not sure which one is better - please would you help me decide!!

cheers

babyjustin
Original post by babyjustin
I am torn between which college to chose [i know i only have to chose for October but I am making an early decision].
Emmanuel has squash courts, table tennis room, a fridge in each room, and decent accommodation, and nice grounds.
Downing also has nice grounds, very good accommodation, but it has 'formals' which i dont like the sound of - you have to get dressed in gowns and have tea by candlelight!

cheers

babyjustin

All colleges have Formals and they're not compulsory (they have 'normal' dinner as well), but actually I found Formals really fun (and I'm not a traditionalist or anything).

cheers

babyjustin

All colleges have formal where you dress in gowns. Attendance isn't compulsory for any of them (although obviously the Matriculation and Graduation ones you should attend, as they also serve an official role)

Also, don't knock until you've tried - Formal Hall is one of the cheapest ways of having a good 3 course meal on the planet - less than £10/head (not including drink). The idea is that you go with a group of friends and it's not too different than going to a restaurant (although the menu is fixed, with options for veggie/vegan, Koshr and dietary requirements)
It's often used for birthdays and other celebrations, having relatives and friends from home over, or for just having a fun meal on a budget. You wouldn't go alone though.

The difference between Downing and Emma comes in a few places;

1. Grounds and style -
Downing is much more regimented and ornamental in its layout, and it also has Graeco-Roman styling all over the place. I personally find it feels a bit fake to me, like a themed area of a theme park. You're not allowed on much of the grass.
Emma is much more free-flowing. The open spaces are more park-like, and the buildings each have their own character and style. It also has the pond and wildlife, with the worlds' most fearless ducks. You can go on all but one patch of grass in the whole college.

2. Sporting
Downing is very heavily invested in sports, and rugby + rowing in particular. I've heard it described as a boat club with a college added on. This will affect the whole social structure of the college, from common interests people share to drinking societies.
Emma still does a lot of sports, but generally takes them much more light-heartedly. It's not to say they're novices, but the stakes aren't so high. The sports people do are less the usual suspects as well - most of the rugby team also play mixed netball, and the girls' football team is one of the best in Cambridge. This also means peoples interests are more diverse.

3. Environment and welfare
Downing is as I understand it pretty average amongst the colleges for welfare provision and environment. Porters are a friendly bunch.

Emma is really the stand out college here - it's known as the friendly college, both for its staff and for its students. The college does a lot to promote forming friendships in the early parts of your time there and has a great support system in place for all students. It also does a lot to ease the day to day tensions of student life, such as special events to unwind during the notorious 5th week of term (which is when everyone seems to get down) and all throughout exam term. These range from free tea and cake hours to having a bouncy castle set up in college.

Emma has a larger and cheaper bar, and it is also entirely student run, giving you the opportunity to work behind the bar or even become bar manager.
Every Wednesday Emma has a special event night in the bar that is also run by students. Sometimes this is a club night, sometimes not. It's open to any Cambridge student but Emma students obviously get cheaper entry.

I would also note that the college students' union at Emma is very active.

cheers

babyjustin

I'm going to defend Downing a bit now :P As people have said, every college has formals, and they're by no means compulsary! I know someone who's never been except for Matriculation, where you join the college).

Downing is lovely :smile: You can walk on quite a lot of the grass, mostly the large paddock at the far end of the college, which you can also use for picnics and ball games in the summer!

It is a very sporty college, and our boat and rugby clubs (as well as Ultimate Frisbee) do very well, but there's no pressure to be involved in any sport. We have a lovely chapel with a choir, as well as a big band if you like music, and our chaplain gives us free doughnuts every Thursday :love:

Our porters are some of the most helpful and nicest people I have ever met, and I've heard it said you can judge a lot about a college from its porters :biggrin:

It's also very well placed, especially if you're a science student (and double this for Chemistry). It's a five minute walk or less to the first and second year NatSci lectures, and not far for others.

All in all, I would definitely recommend Downing :smile:
Obviously I have absolutely no need to make this decision for certain until October, but I've been 'shortlisting' colleges over the last couple of weeks and just wanted to get a few opinions.

Gonville & Caius
Homerton
Magdalene
Pembroke
Trinity

Are there are students (past or present) of the above colleges who might be able to enlighten me with some pros and cons of each? The subject I'll be applying for is Law.

On a more general note, when shortlisting is it worth looking at a college's applications to offers ratio? On the one hand, I don't want to 'play the numbers' too much and end up applying to somewhere I dislike, but on the other hand it seems silly to not consider the fact that some colleges are less oversubscribed than others. I realise that the pooling system theoretically means that even if you apply to a popular college and are squeezed out by the competition, if you're 'deserving' of a place you should be picked up by another college, but I guess I'm a bit sceptical/erring on the side of caution regarding that.

Thanks in advance!
Original post by Kidioteque
Obviously I have absolutely no need to make this decision for certain until October, but I've been 'shortlisting' colleges over the last couple of weeks and just wanted to get a few opinions.

Gonville & Caius
Homerton
Magdalene
Pembroke
Trinity

Are there are students (past or present) of the above colleges who might be able to enlighten me with some pros and cons of each? The subject I'll be applying for is Law.

On a more general note, when shortlisting is it worth looking at a college's applications to offers ratio? On the one hand, I don't want to 'play the numbers' too much and end up applying to somewhere I dislike, but on the other hand it seems silly to not consider the fact that some colleges are less oversubscribed than others. I realise that the pooling system theoretically means that even if you apply to a popular college and are squeezed out by the competition, if you're 'deserving' of a place you should be picked up by another college, but I guess I'm a bit sceptical/erring on the side of caution regarding that.

Thanks in advance!

I really don't think it's something that you should consider. If you get in you'll be spending three years of your life there, so it's probably a good idea to pick somewhere where you think you'll have a good time rather than a college you vaguely think might give you better chances of getting an offer.

One thing numbers-related which you might want to consider is that, if you do apply to a particularly popular college, while your overall chances of getting into Cambridge are probably unaffected, it does become more likely that, if you do get an offer, you will get one from a different college, over which you'd obviously have no control. But, really, it's not a very important consideration.

(Having said that, I think you should definitely apply to Peterhouse.)
Reply 3147
I've already posted before, but now i've changed my mind. I wanna study Computer Science by the way.

I've shortlisted 8 colleges based on facilities (want a theatre for films and private sports ground, whether onsite or not), location (girton and homerton - sorry, no), size (big gardens but not huge like trinity), reputation (St. Johns seemed to have a bad rep, don't like being hated), lots of societies, and other things, and I came up with these:

Churchill - Close to preferred course department (computer lab) but kind ugly and far out, plus it doesn't have a chapel and I'm christian.

Clare - Looks nice, no real bad point, but I wanna stay for 4 years and it looks like I'll have to live out for the 4th year and I really dont wanna do that, and no theatre.

Downing - Looks nice, no real bad points but there is no film society and I love films, and in city centre, not close to computer lab.

Gonville and Caius - Has lots of societies, but apparently has bad food, weird eating arrangements in city centre

Magdalene - Looks nice, equidistant between computer lab and city centre, plus great river frontage, but 4 year science students aren't given priority in room ballot, and no theatre.

Pembroke - Nice and small, apparently has good food, basically next to lectures during first year but no theatre for films

Queens - Has everything that I want, love the college colours (green) but en - suite accommodation is rare and Cripps Court for 1st year looks ugly.

Trinity Hall - Nice and small, loads of societies, no real bad pointa but apparently has bad JCR.

Any idea on which one I should choose, anything I missed out which may change decisions or other collleges you'd recommend, really want everyones help - Thnx!
(edited 12 years ago)

Gonville & Caius
Homerton
Magdalene
Pembroke
Trinity

Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't put too much on offers ratios, although I wouldn't confidently say like some others that if you'll get in at one college you'll get in at any*. I think the pooling system mostly works, but I wouldn't want to say that it's perfect. I can't really give any solid advice on this though, since I only applied to one college. I think you'll find every potential adviser will have the same problem.

I'm at Magd, pros: we're close to the centre, and only about a 10-15 walk to the law fac (which is quite a nice walk in the mornings); the college is small so you can always see people without going on massive walks; we have formal every night (which is very cheap); and the intake isn't stupidly big, so you can feasibly get to know everyone in your year.

Cons: I can't really think of any cons. The food at formal isn't great, but non-special-occasion formals are only really there for predrinks/ swaps; there are nicer (slightly more expensive) dinners reasonably often anyway, weekly BA Dinner and occasional superhall. That's about it. I guess we don't have quite the imposing architecture of king's, but that really comes down to what you want.

edit: * but on this I don't think applicant: offer ratios will give too much information. It's who applies that matters, really, not how many.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by DanteA
Any idea on which one I should choose, anything I missed out which may change decisions or other collleges you'd recommend, really want everyones help - Thnx!

Pembroke has (off-site) sports ground with (at least) football, rugby and squash facilities. I think we have tennis and cricket as well in the summer but I didn't play on those so I'm not entirely sure.
Original post by DanteA

I'd point out Emmanuel to you;
1. We have a theatre in the Queen's building, which is used for films as well as plays and music concerts. There is a reasonably active film society, and the college student union also puts on film nights every so often. (If you're willing to put some work in to organise, it'd be possible to get the film society much more active. There is money available for societies from the students' union and college grants)
We have private sports grounds on Wilberforce Road, they're a bit of a distance but only about 10-15 min cycle. We have a Gym in college as well, table tennis and squash, and in summer Tennis and Badminton in college grounds.

2. Location - in the centre of town, next to Downing.

3.Size - lovely big garden called the paddock, almost a small park, you can walk on almost all the grass, and have meals outside in summer. Plenty of wildlife too. Has a swimming pool (unheated, so a little nippy)
DSC_1530-e1273012335148-680x1024.jpg other pics on Google

4. Reputation - known as the "friendly" college, for both students and staff.

5. societies - loads

6. Accomodation - very little en-suite, but this isn't really a bad thing. rooms themselves are lovely, and prices are very reasonable. In my experience, on-suite student accommodation is always overpriced and not much benefit over shared bathroom. There are enough bathrooms that waiting is rare.
2nd years mostly live out, though it is still possible to live within college. 1st, 3rd and 4th years all live in college.

However overall I'd remind you that there is a whole university out there, especially in regards to the film societies you can go to any college or uni-wide film society that advertises. Same with all other sorts of societies.
Also remember that there's only so much you can take on alongside your degree.

Location wise I would suggest in-town over near department, as you can easily cycle to the department (and in the first few years teaching is split between town and department), but it is much less convenient to have to walk into town for restaurants, evening societies and clubs.

Accommodation wise, at almost all colleges you will have to live out for one year, so get used to that. Colleges will still be able to provide accommodation, it will just be on other sites.
Look at the rent prices - rent will cost most of your student loan and for the expensive ones can be more than the whole loan, good value accommodation is worth looking for.
En-suite isn't worth the cost.
Reply 3151
Original post by The Mr Z
I'd point out Emmanuel to you;
1. We have a theatre in the Queen's building, which is used for films as well as plays and music concerts. There is a reasonably active film society, and the college student union also puts on film nights every so often. (If you're willing to put some work in to organise, it'd be possible to get the film society much more active. There is money available for societies from the students' union and college grants)
We have private sports grounds on Wilberforce Road, they're a bit of a distance but only about 10-15 min cycle. We have a Gym in college as well, table tennis and squash, and in summer Tennis and Badminton in college grounds.

2. Location - in the centre of town, next to Downing.

3.Size - lovely big garden called the paddock, almost a small park, you can walk on almost all the grass, and have meals outside in summer. Plenty of wildlife too. Has a swimming pool (unheated, so a little nippy)
DSC_1530-e1273012335148-680x1024.jpg other pics on Google

4. Reputation - known as the "friendly" college, for both students and staff.

5. societies - loads

6. Accomodation - very little en-suite, but this isn't really a bad thing. rooms themselves are lovely, and prices are very reasonable. In my experience, on-suite student accommodation is always overpriced and not much benefit over shared bathroom. There are enough bathrooms that waiting is rare.
2nd years mostly live out, though it is still possible to live within college. 1st, 3rd and 4th years all live in college.

However overall I'd remind you that there is a whole university out there, especially in regards to the film societies you can go to any college or uni-wide film society that advertises. Same with all other sorts of societies.
Also remember that there's only so much you can take on alongside your degree.

Location wise I would suggest in-town over near department, as you can easily cycle to the department (and in the first few years teaching is split between town and department), but it is much less convenient to have to walk into town for restaurants, evening societies and clubs.

Accommodation wise, at almost all colleges you will have to live out for one year, so get used to that. Colleges will still be able to provide accommodation, it will just be on other sites.
Look at the rent prices - rent will cost most of your student loan and for the expensive ones can be more than the whole loan, good value accommodation is worth looking for.
En-suite isn't worth the cost.

I was considering Emma, but I heard that second year accomdodation isn't exactly great, can you get me som einfo on East Court, apparently where second year pupils living in stay, cause I can only find 2 basic pics on the JCR website, and not much else about it thanks.:biggrin:
Original post by DanteA
I was considering Emma, but I heard that second year accomdodation isn't exactly great, can you get me some info on East Court, apparently where second year pupils living in stay, cause I can only find 2 basic pics on the JCR website, and not much else about it thanks.:biggrin:

Second year accommodation is not fixed - you can take any room in college not taken by a 3rd or 4th year, there will normally be a fair few.

It's also very variable, but insider knowledge is key - in one of the blocks with a reputation as being the worst, there are still rooms which rate amongst the nicest in college, and at absolute knock-down rent price.

1. East Court - The rooms are fairly small but nice, the place is a bit of a labyrinth, you're likely to end up with either one of the top floor or basement rooms but the lighting is good. The facilities are good, there's a bike shed just outside. It's a bit out of the way. There will probably be at least half a dozen second years in EC.

There may also be room in - Park Terrace (Houses, nice rooms), Hostel (nice, rooms left will be small), North Court (X,Y,Z staircases are amazing rooms, recently refurbished, rest are ok), Cloisters (Nice rooms, somewhat isolated)

There will be a room in college available if you particularly want it. But the accommodation is not as bad as we complain. (there's far worse in Cambridge, especially for the rates we're paying, and it'll be improved substantially by the time you get here, college is pouring money into it)
Reply 3153
Original post by DanteA
I was considering Emma, but I heard that second year accomdodation isn't exactly great, can you get me som einfo on East Court, apparently where second year pupils living in stay, cause I can only find 2 basic pics on the JCR website, and not much else about it thanks.:biggrin:

Accommodation at Emma isn't bad at all. When I applied, I thought the rooms didn't seem as great as at some of the other colleges I was considering, but now I'm here I've realised that the rooms are actually pretty good. There might not be loads of really snazzy rooms, especially in the first two years, but the overall standard of rooms is high and there are very few bad rooms. Any rooms which are "bad" are extremely cheap, and if you are willing to pay more then you can nearly always get a good room. I won't go into detail on the first year rooms (PM me if you want the gory detail!) but since you mentioned second year accommodation, I'll make a few general points:

1) You get lots of choice: There are five main areas that 2nd years are in (Blantyre, Barnwell, Warkworth, East Court and North Court). Even people right near the bottom of the ballot get some choice as to whether they want to be in College or not. Bear in mind that only ~20% of these rooms are more than a 5 minute brisk walk from College anyway, if that's an issue

2) The rooms are generally of a good standard. There might not be that many shiny, glamorous rooms, but they tend to be reasonably nice!

3) Accommodation at Emma's really cheap. Even though rents are going up, College have still promised that 80% of rooms will be below the university average cost!

However, perhaps the most important thing to remember is:
Many of the factors which vary by College and influence your time at Cambridge (quality of your room, who you actually live with, quality of your supervisors, quality of the food etc. ) are virtually impossible to judge before you actually arrive. While this can be a bit disconcerting, it's best to just pick a College that feels nice/ right, and not worry too much about the fine details!

Gonville & Caius
Homerton
Magdalene
Pembroke
Trinity

Thanks in advance!

Mate, Catz.
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Mate, Catz.

Pros and cons? I'm listening...
Original post by LeSacMagique
I really don't think it's something that you should consider. If you get in you'll be spending three years of your life there, so it's probably a good idea to pick somewhere where you think you'll have a good time rather than a college you vaguely think might give you better chances of getting an offer.

One thing numbers-related which you might want to consider is that, if you do apply to a particularly popular college, while your overall chances of getting into Cambridge are probably unaffected, it does become more likely that, if you do get an offer, you will get one from a different college, over which you'd obviously have no control. But, really, it's not a very important consideration.

(Having said that, I think you should definitely apply to Peterhouse.)

Thanks a lot for this, will take it all on board. Do Peterhouse pool many, from your knowledge? Funnily enough, for some reason I'd completely overlooked Peterhouse but a bit of quick research has made me like the look of it - old, pretty, fairly central and close to the Sidgwick Site. My only concern is the size, I think perhaps I'd prefer a slightly bigger college...

Original post by TimmonaPortella
I wouldn't put too much on offers ratios, although I wouldn't confidently say like some others that if you'll get in at one college you'll get in at any*. I think the pooling system mostly works, but I wouldn't want to say that it's perfect. I can't really give any solid advice on this though, since I only applied to one college. I think you'll find every potential adviser will have the same problem.

I'm at Magd, pros: we're close to the centre, and only about a 10-15 walk to the law fac (which is quite a nice walk in the mornings); the college is small so you can always see people without going on massive walks; we have formal every night (which is very cheap); and the intake isn't stupidly big, so you can feasibly get to know everyone in your year.

Cons: I can't really think of any cons. The food at formal isn't great, but non-special-occasion formals are only really there for predrinks/ swaps; there are nicer (slightly more expensive) dinners reasonably often anyway, weekly BA Dinner and occasional superhall. That's about it. I guess we don't have quite the imposing architecture of king's, but that really comes down to what you want.

edit: * but on this I don't think applicant: offer ratios will give too much information. It's who applies that matters, really, not how many.

Thank you for this too - all really interesting, especially to hear it from a lawyer aha.

What's the accommodation like? Not sure how fussed I am about ensuites to be honest, but I guess it's important to know.

You have the size of the intake down as a pro, which is of course fair enough, but do you find it gets a bit claustrophobic on occasion?

I think one of the things I like about Caius is that it seems to be the 'happy medium' of everything: the old and the new, the big and the small, etc.

Thank you for this too - all really interesting, especially to hear it from a lawyer aha.

What's the accommodation like? Not sure how fussed I am about ensuites to be honest, but I guess it's important to know.

You have the size of the intake down as a pro, which is of course fair enough, but do you find it gets a bit claustrophobic on occasion?

I think one of the things I like about Caius is that it seems to be the 'happy medium' of everything: the old and the new, the big and the small, etc.

no worries

erm, well no, I don't find it claustrophobic. The intake's about 100 per year, so it's not tiny. Obviously out of that there are going to be some people you won't really know -- there's a group of 6 or 7 chinese people in our year whom I don't think anyone's ever seen, I only found out they exist through the room ballot list -- but you'll probably be left with at least 70 people you'll see at varying degrees of regularity. I think it would be more claustrophobic, as you put it, if we were more sparsely populated, i.e. if the college was bigger. As it happens, most people at least sometimes end up drinking in every part of the college, so it shouldn't be the case that you get confined to socialising with a tiny group -- and you won't be confined to college, either. So no, I wouldn't worry about that; this might be a matter of taste, but I must say I find it difficult to imagine anyone feeling trapped by that many people, as I say particularly when there're swaps and such. I can't speak for Caius.

The accommodation's fine, to some extent it depends on what you're willing to pay -- you can get some very big en suites if you're willing to pay 100/week, even in first year -- and to some extent it depends on luck -- e.g., I had (still have) a huge (as things go) room this year, and on quite a low rent band because of the shared bathroom, but others pay the same and have quite a lot less space. None are cupboards, it's just that some may not be ideal for entertaining; all are perfectly functional as rooms, and all have sinks and decent storage space.

edit: this might tend to influence you either for or against, I don't know, but everyone moots in first year at Magdalene in an intra-college competition, which is a lot of fun... if you like that sort of thing, which really you should if you want to do law. Then the winner and runner up in the competition moot against Downing (we've won the last 3 years straight).
(edited 12 years ago)
Thanks a lot for this, will take it all on board. Do Peterhouse pool many, from your knowledge? Funnily enough, for some reason I'd completely overlooked Peterhouse but a bit of quick research has made me like the look of it - old, pretty, fairly central and close to the Sidgwick Site. My only concern is the size, I think perhaps I'd prefer a slightly bigger college...

I don't really know. Made friends (and asked out on a date, only to find out she had a boyfriend - how embarrassing) at the interview day with one girl also applying for English who was pooled but not fished, and there are one or two people on the Facebook P'house offer-holders' group who had initially applied to different colleges.

According to http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/statistics/colleges.html , Peterhouse made 85 offers in 2011, of which 13 were done through the pool, and a further 12 people who'd initially applied to Peterhouse were pooled and then fished by other colleges. So they seem to be pretty middle-of-the-road in terms of popularity/oversubscription.

The size thing is important. I don't think I'll really mind because you're obviously not limited to spending time only with college friends but the person who guided me around did say it can sometimes be a bit 'claustrophobic'. Your call, really.
Reply 3159
Hey, I'm doing the IB and I want to study law.

I visited Downing College and I really loved it, the architecture, the grounds, just everything about it. I was pretty sure that I was going to choose Downing however when I went on the Cambridge website I saw that for the IB Downing gives offers of on average 40/45 whereas King's College gives 38/45. King's seems really nice too but I just love Downing. I'm worried that I might not get a good enough IB for Downing, should I apply for King's?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending