The Student Room Group

The Big 'Which Cambridge College?' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Trinity is exceptionally prestigious, very beautiful, very rich, very highly regarded with some good people and great accomodation so yes that one I'd rank top.

King's is probably second, very alternative, awesome mingles and the affair is unbelievable. Really nice people. They host some of the best club nights in Cambridge, although the accomodation is a bit too scattered and I don't find it that pretty.

Pembroke, Downing and Clare are all pretty but fairly non-descript. Clare has nice first year accomodation but, all three of them are just so placcid. Although if your a scientist Pembroke and Downing are fairly convenient. But i'd much rather be at John's and have to walk for 5 minutes more....
Clare doesnt have a gym though does it
Reply 22
clare looks really nice

are there any colleges that have a particularly high private:state school originating students?
Reply 23
Every single time I've been to King's Cellars its been **** - a dingy, inferior relative of Clare's, so when do King's have good ents, apart from the Affair?
Reply 24
Soya15

are there any colleges that have a particularly high private:state school originating students?

Soya, I went to the trouble of finding you this. But you really could have found it yourself.

I don't see why this data should have any relevance to your application.
Reply 25
I go to school in an area that is overrun with tourists. This is to the extent that tourists often look into and take pictures of some of my lessons. I'm not sure it's conducive to focused study.

Consequently, perhaps I should rule out King's. It's just that the environment seems so lovely: the chapel, the screen, the gatehouse, the Gibb's Building, the back lawn, the view from the Backs as you approach the bridge.

Also, for my subject of interest (Classics) King's has the most undergraduates of any college (which, I think, would make studying there more fun and less solitary).

Although, rumour has it that one of the admissions tutors there has a penchant for pretty girls and I am not a pretty girl (or a girl for that matter).

Perhaps Trinity is the way forward: they have a decent number of Classics undergraduates and are very wealthy (which is useful for book and travel grants). I do get the whiff of snobbery from the place though.

The attitude of the don in the second report as regards his own students I was somewhat shocked by.
Reply 26
I know a fair few people at Trinity, none of whom struck me as particularly posh. The problem is that you do get people hanging around in such groups, so if you encounter one, you encounter several and it can warp your impression of a college.

The number of classicists at your college is probably a good factor to go on.
Reply 27
jammy21
I go to school in an area that is overrun with tourists. This is to the extent that tourists often look into and take pictures of some of my lessons. I'm not sure it's conducive to focused study.

Consequently, perhaps I should rule out King's. It's just that the environment seems so lovely: the chapel, the screen, the gatehouse, the Gibb's Building, the back lawn, the view from the Backs as you approach the bridge.

Also, for my subject of interest (Classics) King's has the most undergraduates of any college (which, I think, would make studying there more fun and less solitary).

Although, rumour has it that one of the admissions tutors there has a penchant for pretty girls and I am not a pretty girl (or a girl for that matter).

Perhaps Trinity is the way forward: they have a decent number of Classics undergraduates and are very wealthy (which is useful for book and travel grants). I do get the whiff of snobbery from the place though.

The attitude of the don in the second report as regards his own students I was somewhat shocked by.

Why? The attitude isn't that surprising? That he thinks only half the people here can fully take advantage of the teaching on offer? That's probably right, a lot of people don't have the energy or capacity to do it - Cambridge is not full of geniuses, some people are lazy, some struggle with the courses. Or is it that he finds May Balls elitist? Well, they are. They're a laugh, but they are mentally elitist.

As for the other points. You won't have classrooms for Classics, not in King's anyway. You'll be taught in lectures at the faculty (on the Sidgwick) or in a supervision with a fellow - in their room which is, to all extents and purposes, a jumped-up living room. If a tourist walked in there they'd probably get shouted at. Other than that you'll either study in the library or your room, neither of which will have a tourist gawping at you.

As for a lack of a solitary atmosphere, there are 9 people in my college that do my subject, quite a big number for an arts subject in my college. Out of 23 supervisions, three of them have been 1 on 2, the rest have been 1 on 1, and every single week the studying is solitary - you're unlikely to share essays, and if you do it's impossible to do the work 'together' because, frankly, you'll need to write your own notes and you'll need to use the same books. Whether there is one other person or ten, arts subjects involve solitary study.

You seem to be trying to make decisions based on factors whose influences you don't even comprehend - so why bother? Just pick a college you like, you'll never understand what it's like till you actually start studying there.
Reply 28
Cantab

You seem to be trying to make decisions based on factors whose influences you don't even comprehend

Unnecessarily acerbic methinks.

Cantab
Why? The attitude isn't that surprising? That he thinks only half the people here can fully take advantage of the teaching on offer? That's probably right, a lot of people don't have the energy or capacity to do it - Cambridge is not full of geniuses, some people are lazy, some struggle with the courses.

I do not deny that there will be some that struggle. There is no need to be patronising: I know that Cambridge isn't full of geniuses and I did not claim that it is. What is surprising is that this don takes such a dim and supercilious view of such a large proportion of his students i.e. they do not have the "intellect and cast of mind". It is the tone of these comments as much as anything else.

Cantab

As for the other points. You won't have classrooms for Classics, not in King's anyway. You'll be taught in lectures at the faculty (on the Sidgwick) or in a supervision with a fellow - in their room which is, to all extents and purposes, a jumped-up living room. If a tourist walked in there they'd probably get shouted at. Other than that you'll either study in the library or your room, neither of which will have a tourist gawping at you.

I did not claim that tourists sit in on or walk into supervisions nor was I asserting some kind of equivalence between school and university. I was merely reflecting on my own experience dealing with tourists. What I meant was that when you moved into, out of and around college you would quite often be surrounded tourists. This can be a nuisance and slightly stressful which can impact on your quality of life, something that has an impact on your focus and state of mind.

Cantab
As for a lack of a solitary atmosphere, there are 9 people in my college that do my subject, quite a big number for an arts subject in my college. Out of 23 supervisions, three of them have been 1 on 2, the rest have been 1 on 1, and every single week the studying is solitary - you're unlikely to share essays, and if you do it's impossible to do the work 'together' because, frankly, you'll need to write your own notes and you'll need to use the same books. Whether there is one other person or ten, arts subjects involve solitary study.

I wasn't suggesting that I would study, be taught or 'share essays' in large groups. I am quite aware of the concept of independent study and its centrality to academia. The benefit of having other people in your college studying your subject, as I see it, is there being a more collegial atmosphere, on a more general level.

Cantab
you'll never understand what it's like till you actually start studying there.

Patently. I was simply trying to gain a little insight from some (nice) current students.

Thanks for implying that I said a load of (imbecilic) things that, in actuality, I did not say. How very perceptive of you!
bazzasballs
Trinity is exceptionally prestigious

:confused:
Cantab
Every single time I've been to King's Cellars its been **** - a dingy, inferior relative of Clare's, so when do King's have good ents, apart from the Affair?

They've had a few good nights, but generally the music is a bit samey and monotonous. I went there lots in my first year, barely went this year. It's good fun when there are lasers, and the indie nights are pretty good. Clare Cellars are loads better though, I'd agree with that. If you like the Affair you should try the Mingles...they're like the Affair but cheaper, without the food and entertainment. They have the same amount of music, though.
jammy21

I'm at King's and have never found the tourists to be a problem. As Cantab has said, you'll be studying in your room or the library, and unless you pick a room by the river on the ground floor you won't have tourists peeping in. The college make an effort during exam term to limit the number of tourists coming through. As for it being a nuisance and slightly stressful, I guess that just comes down to you as a person. It's never that bad! On weekdays there aren't that many tourists anyway, but there are students from other colleges who use the college as a shortcut. Weekends it is pretty busy, but it's not something to worry about really.

Some people in King's were told off for talking on here about the fellow you mention, so I'll be careful. Basically, it is true that he admits lots of girls, but then there are more girls applying, so it makes sense.

And I wouldn't pay too much attention to those reports. The first one shocked me, but that is only one fellow, who you won't be taught by unless you apply for that subject. He might not even be there still, I don't know. Likewise, you probably won't be taught by the second one. And there are probably fellows like that in each college anyway, I doubt it's particular to Trinity.
Reply 32
Thank you Jigglypuff, I will rep you asap. BTW, do dons monitor these forums? Isn't that slightly invasive?
Reply 33
a lot of admissions tutors (who happen to be academics themselves) do monitor these forums, not to be invasive, but to check people are getting correct information and advice.

There is the question of freedom of speech, yes, and although we have a right to bitch/speculate about our tutors/colleges, this site is open to the world and could be taken as slander, or perceived incorrectly by prospective applicants.
jammy21
Thank you Jigglypuff, I will rep you asap. BTW, do dons monitor these forums? Isn't that slightly invasive?

Well, it might seem invasive, but TSR isn't designed to be a don-free student haven where we're allowed to slander them as much as we feel like and they can never find out. They're normal people, they use the internet too. My sister might use this site, who knows.
jammy21

Yeah some do, but you've just got to be careful about what you're saying. This is a really good site for encouraging applicants to apply, so it makes sense that fellows will look at what's going on.
Reply 36
Plus you sometimes find small references to TSR in newspapers.
Reply 37
Caius, even tho its not there.

Fine fine...out of the ones there...Clare - its the prettiest.
Reply 38
Jigglypuff
Yeah some do, but you've just got to be careful about what you're saying. This is a really good site for encouraging applicants to apply, so it makes sense that fellows will look at what's going on.

Do they ever write stuff too? As in answer to prospective applicants questions?
Reply 39
studentbug
Do they ever write stuff too? As in answer to prospective applicants questions?

A couple have in the past, most notably this year between the end of interviews/pooling and finding out about offers/rejections, just to calm people down (as everyone went mental). Normally they don't post, and the only way you'll know they're watching is a small comment in a supervision or something like that. Unless you post something stupid or saying you've done something illegal, in which case you'll find out a bit quicker and a bit more seriously than that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending