The Student Room Group

The Big 'Which Cambridge College?' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paradoxicalme
Emmanuel or Trinity Hall?

What about them?

I'd go for Trinity Hall. Emma is lovely, but it's right on the street, so I'd imagine it's a bit overrun with tourists and might get somewhat loud at night/on weekends. Trinity Hall is beautiful, quaint, and has terrific food!
Original post by Barleywolf
I visited Emmanuel, I didn't really like the feel of the place honestly. I don't know about Trinity Hall.

I visited Emmanuel and fell in love with the place instantly :tongue: It's just so pretty!

Original post by Viceroy
I'd go for Trinity Hall. Emma is lovely, but it's right on the street, so I'd imagine it's a bit overrun with tourists and might get somewhat loud at night/on weekends. Trinity Hall is beautiful, quaint, and has terrific food!

Can't say I mind tourists too much, I live in Warwick which is permanently overrun with them :tongue: Trinity Hall is admittedly really beautiful, but I think I'm going to go for Emma. I just fell for the place the second I saw it. And if fate says I should go to Tit Hall, I'll get pooled and fished there :biggrin:

Original post by Chief Wiggum
What about them?

Which to pick :tongue:

Which to pick :tongue:

I think Emma's better. Tit Hall's accommodation is very spread out which I think would be pretty annoying. eg I think you only live on the main central site for one year out of the three.
Can anyone tell me anything about accomodation at Emmanuel? Anything at all would be helpful! Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Barleywolf
Hello,

I am an international student and I will be applying for HSPS in Cambridge this October. I've narrowed my list of colleges to Clare, King's, Pembroke, Queens', St. John's, Selwyn and Trinity. I was able the data graph of total applications and offers for 2014 and 2013 for each college. St. John's seems easiest to get into, with 13 offers made and 44 applications last year, but I particularly like Clare, who have made only 7 offers and received 36 applications. I would like some advice on these colleges if possible and also to know whether the application/offer statistic matters as much as I think it does, because if it does, St. John's seems like the best bet. Thank you.

Where did you find those stats?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EHZ17
Where did you find those stats?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I typed 'Cambridge application stats' into Google and it took me here:

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/statistics/
I want somewhere reasonably priced and not too snobby. Somewhere in the middle of big and small. Fairly rich and close to science and arts buildings as i'm a geographer and need both buildings.
So far im looking at christ, st edmunds, st johns and corpus christi.
Also i know some allow smoking, but i hate the smell of smoke.
thank you! :smile:
Original post by suedonim
You're wrong. The bridge is the oldest in Cambridge "The building programme was prompted by the acquisition of land belonging to King’s across the river to the west of the college (Butt’s Close); accordingly the first new buildings to be constructed were the East and South Ranges (1638) and then the bridge (1639-40). The North and West Ranges, including the hall, were built in 1686-8, and the programme was completed with the construction of the Master’s Lodge in 1715. (The present chapel dates from a somewhat later time; its foundation stone was laid in 1763.) "

As for the other buildings - who cares.

So I was right; the only 'old' building is the C17th Old Court. A bridge is not a building...

Who cares? My original point was that Clare, although technically old, does not show it because it only has one 'old building' - considerably fewer than the others that I had listed.

Tit Hall! Emma's probably my second favourite but...Tit Hall!!
Original post by St. Brynjar
Tit Hall! Emma's probably my second favourite but...Tit Hall!!

I remember you from the summer pool thread, which I stalked last year. :tongue:

Besides, you're biased! Although Tit Hall is beyond gorgeous. If I get pooled there I will dance.
I remember you from the summer pool thread, which I stalked last year. :tongue:

Besides, you're biased! Although Tit Hall is beyond gorgeous. If I get pooled there I will dance.

If you want a non-biased opinion on here you will have difficulty. :tongue: Trinity Hall has a lot of pros but I would likely not make choose it based on how small the college is. I am sure some people prefer that though.
Genuinely torn between colleges. I'm applying for law, and the order of preference atm is (1) Trinity, (2) Caius, (3) Emmanuel, (4) Pembroke and (5) Christ's.

But:
- The competition at trinity is absolutely frightening
- I've heard things about caius' food...
- I'd prefer bigger colleges than Emmanuel and Christ's

Thoughts, people?
Original post by bored565
Genuinely torn between colleges. I'm applying for law, and the order of preference atm is (1) Trinity, (2) Caius, (3) Emmanuel, (4) Pembroke and (5) Christ's.

But:

Thoughts, people?

If you like Trinity, go for Trinity. All 5 of your choices are highly subscribed colleges (not that it matters really because of the pooling system).
Original post by Ho Chi Minh
So I was right; the only 'old' building is the C17th Old Court. A bridge is not a building...

Who cares? My original point was that Clare, although technically old, does not show it because it only has one 'old building' - considerably fewer than the others that I had listed.

Clare shows it because it is old. The new parts of Clare are largely accommodation blocks, as in most colleges. Can't compare Old Court with other places like Kings where the Chapel is physically separate and say they have more old buildings simply because they are separate constructions.
Does anyone know how good Emmanuel College is in terms of book grants, travel grants, etc available?
Original post by bored565

But:

Thoughts, people?

Caius' food's actually pretty nice and it's improved loads over the past couple of years. A three course dinner is also only £3.50! You can see the latest menu here, if you're interested.

Our library is also the best in Cambridge (no bias :wink:). But seriously, although I'd recommend Caius, don't be put off by the 'frightening' competition at Trinity- if you're good enough you'll be pooled :smile:
Original post by smile:D
Caius' food's actually pretty nice and it's improved loads over the past couple of years. A three course dinner is also only £3.50! You can see the latest menu here, if you're interested.

Our library is also the best in Cambridge (no bias :wink:). But seriously, although I'd recommend Caius, don't be put off by the 'frightening' competition at Trinity- if you're good enough you'll be pooled :smile:

I agree. The Caius food has taken on the status of Urban Myth-the one thing anybody has heard of the college. Its actually very pretty, very central, has a beautiful library and decent accommodation.

I actually liked the fact that people ate in together more often, because of the way the charges worked, you got to know almost everybody in the college.
If I were pooled by a college with a solid 1,1 in STEP for maths, would i have a weaker chance at being fished out if i was pooled by a less competitive college like Sidney Sussex compared to a college with a much larger applicant pool like King's?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by newblood
If I were pooled by a college with a solid 1,1 in STEP for maths, would i have a weaker chance at being fished out if i was pooled by a less competitive college like Sidney Sussex compared to a college with a much larger applicant pool like King's?

No you wouldn't

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending