The Student Room Group

The Big 'Which Cambridge College?' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4540
Original post by Buongiorno
Hey, I'm at Emma - though I don't study Economics, feel free to ask anything about the college!

Thankyou thats very kind!:smile: I just wanted to know does Emma provide ensuites for all 3 years for students that want it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr-96
Thankyou thats very kind!:smile: I just wanted to know does Emma provide ensuites for all 3 years for students that want it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In your first year you should be able to get it - they finished building the new south court in 2013 and I was one of the first people to live in it last year. Then in your second and later years you can go for a set with a living room and your own bathroom but this depends on financial considerations. Few people go for sets since they're relatively more expensive than than a normal room so if you'd like it you should be able to get it. Also sharing bathrooms might not seem ideal now but once you get here you'll find it's not an issue at all and you should able to access the facilities whenever you like because people have different timetables etc so there's very rarely a queue!
Reply 4542
In your first year you should be able to get it - they finished building the new south court in 2013 and I was one of the first people to live in it last year. Then in your second and later years you can go for a set with a living room and your own bathroom but this depends on financial considerations. Few people go for sets since they're relatively more expensive than than a normal room so if you'd like it you should be able to get it. Also sharing bathrooms might not seem ideal now but once you get here you'll find it's not an issue at all and you should able to access the facilities whenever you like because people have different timetables etc so there's very rarely a queue!

Thankyou so much:redface:. So how you finding Cambridge so far?:awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr-96
Thankyou so much:redface:. So how you finding Cambridge so far?:awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Loving it so far, looking forward to going back in a couple of weeks. Seeing friends will be great and I've chosen modules I like, yay, and have my year abroad coming up so need to get planning that as well.There's always so much going on, though towards the end of term you can feel tiredness building up, it's an exciting and special place to be. :smile:
Reply 4544
Loving it so far, looking forward to going back in a couple of weeks. Seeing friends will be great and I've chosen modules I like, yay, and have my year abroad coming up so need to get planning that as well.There's always so much going on, though towards the end of term you can feel tiredness building up, it's an exciting and special place to be. :smile:

Sounds like great fun!:biggrin:. Best of luck for your year abroad:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who's at Kings for Economics on Tuesday? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not convinced after Kings open day

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4547
Original post by EHZ17

Posted from TSR Mobile

May I ask why?:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looked really nice on the outside but bad on the inside :/ Plus the econ women didnt seem that passionate, she said it is better for students to not know any economics prior to coming there so she didn't really care about the things we already know. All a bit dull on reflection. Plus there are so many tourists and the porters are right miserable sods because of it
Original post by EHZ17

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you still considering applying to kings?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EHZ17

Posted from TSR Mobile

John's is much better, right? :smile:
Original post by Viceroy
John's is much better, right? :smile:

On what grounds? It still has too many tourists and the porters there aren't renowned for their friendliness either.
Original post by DJMayes
On what grounds? It still has too many tourists and the porters there aren't renowned for their friendliness either.

Because it's my college and it freaking rocks (as do its porters). :smile:
Original post by Viceroy
Because it's my college and it freaking rocks (as do its porters). :smile:

Don't get me wrong, I like the college. I have good friends there and enjoy coming over to formal. But I have never heard a student not from Johns say anything good about the porters, and my own personal experience of them is very negative.
Original post by DJMayes
Don't get me wrong, I like the college. I have good friends there and enjoy coming over to formal. But I have never heard a student not from Johns say anything good about the porters, and my own personal experience of them is very negative.

That's too bad. I like them. I've taken the time to learn all their names and they know mine, so perhaps that helps.
Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of applying to cambridge to read economics but I'm facing an impasse choosing a college. I did well in my ASs (98.3% average) so I thought I may as well apply to one of the prestigious ones, and have narrowed it down to Clare and Trinity. There are a few things that I am unsure about however:

Clare
1) Would my not being musical detract from my experience there (as Clare is v musical)?
2) Is the accommodation split significant in any way?

Trinity
1) Is 200 too big for a year?
2) Are there enough non-geeks (to put it crudely) to have fun?
3) Is it substantially harder than Clare?

Many thanks in advance!

James
Original post by sr234
Are you still considering applying to kings?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess, really not sure where I will apply to be honest. Right now it is between Kings, Johns, Downing and Clare. I'll probably just apply to Kings as I know what to expect. I didn't hate it, it just wasn't amazing.
Reply 4557
Original post by JamesSanchez104
Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of applying to cambridge to read economics but I'm facing an impasse choosing a college. I did well in my ASs (98.3% average) so I thought I may as well apply to one of the prestigious ones, and have narrowed it down to Clare and Trinity. There are a few things that I am unsure about however:

Clare
1) Would my not being musical detract from my experience there (as Clare is v musical)?

Trinity

Many thanks in advance!

James
Not being musical isn't a problem. Trinity is also quite musical FWIW.
I think the Clare accommodation is really impressive with the colony, although the same can be said for Trinity although I get it's on a bigger and less personal scale.

If there is a geeky college at the geekiest university in the world, then it's Trinity. Not absolutely everyone is like that, and plenty of them are still really nice and interesting, but it certainly is a stereotype that is reasonably accurate. There's also a bigger gender split at Trinity (it's something like 70:30 male:female, which is the main reason I lost interest). Clare is 50:50 iirc. However, this is definitely counterbalanced by the fact that the year is so large.

Both Clare and Trinity are very competitive, you'll be splitting hairs trying to separate them.

I'd recommend just applying to the one that feels right, or the one you preferred when visiting. I don't have many negative things to say about either - apart from the fact that they aren't St John's (which, coincidentally, is the best college in Cambridge. But it's good of you to apply elsewhere to diversify things).
Hi there,

I'm a reapplicant for Philosophy, having been pooled but unsuccessful from Jesus College last year.
Currently weighing up the pros and cons of Downing and Caius and was just looking for some inside advice?
Any information would be much appreciated :smile:)
Original post by JamesSanchez104
Hi all,

Clare

Trinity

Many thanks in advance!

James

I had it narrowed down to the same two colleges as you! (Plus St Johns but I sort of decided I'd rather Trinity over St Johns)

Clare
1) My main attractions to Clare were the name, and its music, as I do a lot of music, but there are also lots of non-musical people at Clare and I have friends at Clare who aren't particularly musical so I wouldn't worry about this!
2) I think all the first years are together in Memorial Court which is near the university library, if your lectures are in the Sidgwick site this might be handy in first year. Apparently it gives the first years a good sense of community, though it is a bit away from the main part of the college.

Trinity
1) I could give you a better answer once I've started at Trinity! :tongue: There were about 90 in my year at school so it might seem big to me, but I don't know. I reasoned that there would be more people who share my interests in a bigger college, and then you get the added benefits of tbe size of the grounds/facilities/funds. :smile:
2) I hope so! :wink: With the large size of the year group there will certainly be a mix of people of all types. :smile:
3) Possibly. That said Clare is also one of the more competitive colleges. Your AS UMS would be competitive at any college (and from what I've heard it would probably be above the average offer holder at Trinity generally, I don't know about economics specifically)
(For what it's worth, the admissions statistics for 2013 not including pool offers are 101 direct applicants, of which 12 got a direct offer at Trinity, and 63-4 for Clare, so the success rate for first choice college at Trinity for ecomonics was roughly double that at Clare that year, but then that doesn't include pool offers, the competition varies from year to year, and that doesn't say anything about the strength of the applicants, just numbers of applicants, so I wouldn't look at the stats too closely!) :smile:

Reason why I personally chose Trinity:
1) I think it looks grander/most beautiful :biggrin: (others might have other tastes though!)
2) More scientists
3) Lots of music practise rooms, grand pianos etc. (More than Clare I think), bigger grounds, more funds etc.
4) its prestige/academic reputation (people say not to choose a college based on this though as all Cambridge colleges are obviously very academic but...)
5) I preferred the set up for interview and liked the style of questions on the NatSci preinterview test (this was only a minor factor though)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending