The Student Room Group

The Big 'Which Cambridge College?' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4660
Original post by ClickItBack
I'd go for Jesus personally since it's not as far out, is quite large, laid back, has nice grounds, close to boat houses, and is just that little bit secluded from other colleges . . .

Then again the one time I've been to Fitz hall I got served Quality Street chocolates as a post-dessert course, and that scores well with me!

Would you happen to know if Fitz is far from lecture halls? And if Fitz provides en suites for all 3 years?
Jesus does look really nice, and the lovely accommodation is tempting! I was leaning toward Fitz as I had the impression that they like state school students, its less competitive and very friendly?

Haha love that:cool:
Original post by sr-96
Would you happen to know if Fitz is far from lecture halls? And if Fitz provides en suites for all 3 years?
Jesus does look really nice, and the lovely accommodation is tempting! I was leaning toward Fitz as I had the impression that they like state school students, its less competitive and very friendly?

Haha love that:cool:

Fitz is a bit further out for most places, yeah - though it probably depends on your department e.g. pretty close to the Maths department. I don't know about their accommodation, sorry.

No college is more or less in favour of state school students. Differences in ratios tend to arise from self-selection, and this is often due to subjects offered e.g. Churchill takes more students for sciences than arts, and state schoolers more frequently apply to the former than the latter.

Both colleges are very friendly in my experience, and even not considering the pool for a second, I would guess they're roughly the same in terms of applicants/place.
Hi guys, never posted on here before but just needed someone who knows what they're talking about to help me here...

I'm interested in undergraduate history at Cambridge but really have no idea what college to pick, I really have no preference despite going and looking around - nothing really struck out at me as 'the one'. I'm basically completely clueless compared to most of my friends who seem to have it all figured out.

My GCSEs weren't that amazing, only 1*, 7As, 3Bs and a C but my AS was much better (All A's), predicted *AA, not sure how much influence that all has at Cambridge but I do know it's less at Oxford.

But yeah, if anyone can suggest me anything for any reason based on a college that's best for history or more likely to take me in based on how much they care about GCSEs vs interviews/essays etc, that would be absolutely amazing and I'd forever be in your debt :smile:
Reply 4663
Fitz is a bit further out for most places, yeah - though it probably depends on your department e.g. pretty close to the Maths department. I don't know about their accommodation, sorry.

No college is more or less in favour of state school students. Differences in ratios tend to arise from self-selection, and this is often due to subjects offered e.g. Churchill takes more students for sciences than arts, and state schoolers more frequently apply to the former than the latter.

Both colleges are very friendly in my experience, and even not considering the pool for a second, I would guess they're roughly the same in terms of applicants/place.

What about the economics department?:smile: That's ok!

Oh okay. Hmm decisions decisions!

I know Fitz charge for their internet and Jesus provides a free laundry service. But that's a rather silly reason to base my decision on I guess:tongue:

Thanks so much for your help!:biggrin:
Thoughts on St Catz for Econ?

Is it very competitive?
Are the grounds nice?
For someone of my grades do I stand a good chance there?

- Gcse: 7A* 2A 1C (Spanish)
- AS: 100 Econ, 100 Eng, 98 Maths, 81 Phys (dropped)
- Taking AS FM w/ FP1, S1, S2
- Predicted 3A* and A in AS FM

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EHZ17
Thoughts on St Catz for Econ?

Is it very competitive?
Are the grounds nice?
For someone of my grades do I stand a good chance there?

- Gcse: 7A* 2A 1C (Spanish)
- AS: 100 Econ, 100 Eng, 98 Maths, 81 Phys (dropped)
- Taking AS FM w/ FP1, S1, S2
- Predicted 3A* and A in AS FM

Posted from TSR Mobile

no,yes, fairly good chance, physics is pretty low but your UMS ave is high so a good shot i reckon
Original post by SathyaJames
Hi guys, never posted on here before but just needed someone who knows what they're talking about to help me here...

I'm interested in undergraduate history at Cambridge but really have no idea what college to pick, I really have no preference despite going and looking around - nothing really struck out at me as 'the one'. I'm basically completely clueless compared to most of my friends who seem to have it all figured out.

My GCSEs weren't that amazing, only 1*, 7As, 3Bs and a C but my AS was much better (All A's), predicted *AA, not sure how much influence that all has at Cambridge but I do know it's less at Oxford.

But yeah, if anyone can suggest me anything for any reason based on a college that's best for history or more likely to take me in based on how much they care about GCSEs vs interviews/essays etc, that would be absolutely amazing and I'd forever be in your debt :smile:

There is no college that's 'best' for history, but some do have a large intake e.g. Trinity, Peterhouse, Caius. There isn't really any college that cares more about one aspect of the application (that we know of anyway :tongue:)

I'd start choosing a college by first looking at the admissions criteria for each one -e.g. whether it has extra tests etc.: you don't want to apply somewhere where you might be unduly disadvantaged.

Then decide by location (do you want something central?) and size, also the size of the history intake (do you want to be with lots of other historians or not?).

If I were you, I'd first of all decide on the colleges you're definitely not interested in, and then just pick from the others you have left :smile:
Original post by newblood
no,yes, fairly good chance, physics is pretty low but your UMS ave is high so a good shot i reckon

By fairly good do you mean good or average? Would my UMS help me at all in differentiating from the avg applicant or am I an average applicant?
Original post by sr-96
What about the economics department?:smile: That's ok!

Oh okay. Hmm decisions decisions!

I know Fitz charge for their internet and Jesus provides a free laundry service. But that's a rather silly reason to base my decision on I guess:tongue:

Thanks so much for your help!:biggrin:

Fitz may actually be closer to Sidgwick (econ department) than Jesus . . . or at least, not very much further.

No problem! Happy choosing :smile:.
Original post by EHZ17
By fairly good do you mean good or average? Would my UMS help me at all in differentiating from the avg applicant or am I an average applicant?

Roughly speaking id have to say youre an average applicant. You reallydo need to impress at interview after that UMS to stand a chance of receiving an offer.
Original post by DJMayes
This does not necessarily mean college schemes have ended, and it's worth asking. The scholarship I ultimately got was something entirely different to the NSP so probably still exists.

Financial as I was transferred to it from the NSP.

Is this building by Pembroke part of the college (like accommodation) or something different?

http://gyazo.com/c215201eaa72551097b709ed9d76147a
How competitive is Emmanuel? I've seen that its 9 year average for economic offers per applicant is 7.38 which is lower than Jesus and St Catz.

Thinking of applying there but everyone says it's so competitive... By what measure?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EHZ17

You have a best 3 UMS of 99.3. Guaranteed interview. More likely than not to get an offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by smile:D
There is no college that's 'best' for history, but some do have a large intake e.g. Trinity, Peterhouse, Caius. There isn't really any college that cares more about one aspect of the application (that we know of anyway :tongue:)

I'd start choosing a college by first looking at the admissions criteria for each one -e.g. whether it has extra tests etc.: you don't want to apply somewhere where you might be unduly disadvantaged.

Then decide by location (do you want something central?) and size, also the size of the history intake (do you want to be with lots of other historians or not?).

If I were you, I'd first of all decide on the colleges you're definitely not interested in, and then just pick from the others you have left :smile:

you sir are a legend, thanks!
Reply 4674
Fitz may actually be closer to Sidgwick (econ department) than Jesus . . . or at least, not very much further.

No problem! Happy choosing :smile:.

Oo thats good!:biggrin:
Thanks!
Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, i honestly have no idea which college i want to apply to :/
I want somewhere with a fairly good budget
Is not oversubscribed
I don't mind a distance to town, as long as its not ridiculously long
I don't care about size or catering
Friednly people would be nice!
I don't care how long it is from the shops
I don;t need a massive social scene, but no where completely dead
Also views on tradition, what are the pros and cons?
Original post by newblood
Roughly speaking id have to say youre an average applicant. You reallydo need to impress at interview after that UMS to stand a chance of receiving an offer.

Oh right. May I ask why you say that? Is it Physics UMS and GCSEs?
Original post by Elcor
Is this building by Pembroke part of the college (like accommodation) or something different?

http://gyazo.com/c215201eaa72551097b709ed9d76147a

That's the newest accommodation block; Foundress Court.
Original post by jneill
You have a best 3 UMS of 99.3. Guaranteed interview. More likely than not to get an offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm thanks, I seem to get so many mixed opinions! :P
Are there ensuites in cromwell court?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending