The Student Room Group

The Big 'Which Cambridge College?' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Looking to apply in 2016, but hey, I'm bored and better to think about this earlier rather than later.

Which college would be right for me?
In order of 'necessity':
1. Ensuites, or at least a good chance of getting one.
2. Pretty, old buildings with preferably older rooms.
3. Good library.
4. Close to a supermarket.
5. Not stuffy.
6. Larger grounds.
7. Decent food!
Original post by Lolza3601
Looking to apply in 2016, but hey, I'm bored and better to think about this earlier rather than later.

In order of 'necessity':
3. Good library.
5. Not stuffy.
6. Larger grounds.
7. Decent food!

St John's!! :smile: :smile: :smile: Can't get any better! And it fits your description. :smile:

In order of 'necessity':
3. Good library.
5. Not stuffy.
6. Larger grounds.
7. Decent food!

Equally Trinity fits this well. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thoughts on Homerton? I applied there instinctively and haven't actually weighed out the pros or cons :tongue: just loved the atmosphere
Original post by aworldalone
Thoughts on Homerton? I applied there instinctively and haven't actually weighed out the pros or cons :tongue: just loved the atmosphere

It's quite far away from the city centre, so that's definitely a con. I've heard positive reviews from students who went there though. Never made the trip out myself. :smile:

In order of 'necessity':
3. Good library.
5. Not stuffy.
6. Larger grounds.
7. Decent food!

Your first two requests are kind of in tension with each other. En-suites tend to be found in modern buildings. Have you looked into Downing?
Original post by Viceroy
St John's!! :smile: :smile: :smile: Can't get any better! And it fits your description. :smile:

Original post by Claree
Equally Trinity fits this well. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Biased opinions for the win. :P I've read most of St Johns website and it looks pretty good. Slightly concerned about the accommodation though; lack of ensuites and the fact that there's a high chance of shared out of college housing. I don't know; wouldn't it be easier to stay in the college?
As for Trinity, haven't read much about it, but it looks pretty intimidating haha. How formal is it?

Original post by TritonSails
Your first two requests are kind of in tension with each other. En-suites tend to be found in modern buildings. Have you looked into Downing?

Ah I see. I thought about that but thanks for confirming it. No I haven't thought about Downing, but will check their website out now.
(edited 9 years ago)
Biased opinions for the win. :P I've read most of St Johns website and it looks pretty good. Slightly concerned about the accommodation though; lack of ensuites and the fact that there's a high chance of shared out of college housing. I don't know; wouldn't it be easier to stay in the college?
As for Trinity, haven't read much about it, but it looks pretty intimidating haha. How formal is it?

I think I found Trinity somewhat intimidating when I went for my interview (that was the first time I went inside Trinity) but I've not found it intimidating since. After a term there it seems like more of a second home, and Great Court's just what we have to walk through to get to hall for dinner. :cool:

1,2 I stated on my accommodation form that I wanted an ensuite if possible and so am in the building of "modern" (1960s-ish) accommodation in the middle of some old courts with pretty old buildings, so I guess that gives you the best of both the new accommodation and the old buildings. But the other first year accommodation is all older rooms with shared bathrooms (as the previous poster said, you're unlikely to find an old room with an ensuite).

3 As a NatSci I've not got anything out of the college library (other NatScis might do, I personally preferred to buy the few books that I use), but the library is very good, and the Wren library's good for showing relatives when they come to visit.

4 The 1st year accommodation on the other side of the great gate is right next to Sainsburys. :biggrin:

5 Given it's size I wouldn't call Trinity stuffy

6 I think Trinity has the largest college grounds

7 The food's fine :smile: You can see the menus on http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~cpt39/pngs/

St John's would probably be the next most similar college to Trinity.

As for how formal Trinity is, it's probably similar to most the other colleges on the river but I don't know how to judge the formality of a college really! :colondollar: All servery meals are eaten in hall, there's no separate halls for normal meals and formal hall (what else do you specifically want to know about formality?).
I think en-suites are really not as important as it is tempting to think they are--most people do not have en-suites in their normal out-of-term time homes so I don't get why it's suddenly a crucial thing to have at uni
Original post by TritonSails
I think en-suites are really not as important as it is tempting to think they are--most people do not have en-suites in their normal out-of-term time homes so I don't get why it's suddenly a crucial thing to have at uni

Each to their own of course. Personally I had en-suite for two out of my four years and I really appreciated it. The years without were more inconvenient but not that big of an issue.
Hi, I'm in year 12 at the moment. I looked round Cambridge over the summer and really loved it!
Just wondering if anyone has anything to say about Jesus college and whether it's a college known to be really hard to get in for state students? It's my favourite but I want to be realistic about which one I can get in.
Thanks in advance😊
Original post by an0thergirl
Hi, I'm in year 12 at the moment. I looked round Cambridge over the summer and really loved it!
Just wondering if anyone has anything to say about Jesus college and whether it's a college known to be really hard to get in for state students? It's my favourite but I want to be realistic about which one I can get in.
Thanks in advance😊

Have you heard about Cambridge's pooling system? Essentially it (in theory, and I believe it works fairly well in practice) ensures that your overall chance of admission to the university is not affected if you apply to a college which is particularly competitive in a given year (and really it is in a given year, the statistics fluctuate massively). With this in mind your choice is really this:

1) Apply to your favourite college; assume for the sake of argument it's most competitive and you are good enough for a place at Cambridge. You have a positive probability of getting your preferred choice but will get in somewhere anyway due to pooling.

2) Apply to a "less competitive" college. You will get in, but without that positive probability of getting your preferred choice.

When read like this it is a no-brainer. What you need to be aware is that a college which had less competition would rather take strong candidates edged out at other colleges than weak candidates who applied directly. Attempting to play the statistics does not work

Apply to Jesus. If you don't get in, you very likely wouldn't had you applied somewhere else.
Original post by DJMayes
Have you heard about Cambridge's pooling system? Essentially it (in theory, and I believe it works fairly well in practice) ensures that your overall chance of admission to the university is not affected if you apply to a college which is particularly competitive in a given year (and really it is in a given year, the statistics fluctuate massively). With this in mind your choice is really this:

1) Apply to your favourite college; assume for the sake of argument it's most competitive and you are good enough for a place at Cambridge. You have a positive probability of getting your preferred choice but will get in somewhere anyway due to pooling.

2) Apply to a "less competitive" college. You will get in, but without that positive probability of getting your preferred choice.

When read like this it is a no-brainer. What you need to be aware is that a college which had less competition would rather take strong candidates edged out at other colleges than weak candidates who applied directly. Attempting to play the statistics does not work

Apply to Jesus. If you don't get in, you very likely wouldn't had you applied somewhere else.

Thank you! I had heard of it but I didn't really know how it really worked so that was useful!
Thank you! I had heard of it but I didn't really know how it really worked so that was useful!

I was a state school kid who applied to Jesus for geography. The year I applied was really competitive. As a result, I was pooled and taken by Corpus. While I had liked Jesus, Corpus is great and I don't spend all my time sad that I'm not at Jesus.
Original post by mespannerhanz
I was a state school kid who applied to Jesus for geography. The year I applied was really competitive. As a result, I was pooled and taken by Corpus. While I had liked Jesus, Corpus is great and I don't spend all my time sad that I'm not at Jesus.

I looked round Corpus and really liked it. I'll probably apply to Jesus then and hope for the best!
Original post by DJMayes

there are however other considerations :

if you apply to a very competitive college, you risk being pooled and ending up in a college you don't want

if you apply to a less competitive college, you have higher possibilities of being admitted, and less possibilities of being pooled where you don't want to go

bottom line : if there are colleges that you positively don't want (because too far away, girls-only, too many communists/conservatives/cargo cultists etc) you may consider not risking the hugely popular colleges (mainly Trinity and St. Johns - or Downing for lawyers)

x
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mariachi

True enough. It should be said that everyone, including poolees, seem to love their college, whatever it is.
Original post by DJMayes
True enough. It should be said that everyone, including poolees, seem to love their college, whatever it is.

I'm going to go for that then. Did you go to Cambridge?😊
I'm going to go for that then. Did you go to Cambridge?😊

I am a current 2nd year Mathematician at Pembroke College.
I wonder if you guys could recommend a Cambridge college for me based on this criteria:

ESSENTIAL:
- Architecture: no horrible modern stuff. I'm looking for traditional, historic buildings.
- Formal dinners - I'd much rather have dinner in a formal hall than cook it myself!
- Tradition, formality - I want to experience Oxbridge

DESIRABLE:
- Well-known alumni
- Can accommodate for the entire length of the course
- Small to medium size - not too big and not too small
- Not oversubscribed
NOT IMPORTANT:
- Sport facilities (I'm not the sporty type)
- Cooking facilities (I'm not the cooking type)

Thanks in advance!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending