The Student Room Group

The Big 'Which Cambridge College?' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Can someone recommend me a college that meets most of the following criteria? I'm thinking about doing medicine at Johns, Peterhouse, or Corpus but since I've only visited Queens and Selwyn I want to know some other options.

Old-and-Cambridge appearance
On-site or at least close to the college for the whole degree
No internet limits (yeah I watch too much Netflix)
Not too far away from the town centre
Closer to a 50/50 split of private and state educated students, rather than 70/30 or 30/70
Nothing obscenely expensive (relatively speaking)
Original post by not you
Can someone recommend me a college that meets most of the following criteria? I'm thinking about doing medicine at Johns, Peterhouse, or Corpus but since I've only visited Queens and Selwyn I want to know some other options.

Closer to a 50/50 split of private and state educated students, rather than 70/30 or 30/70

Christ's College has mostly old architecture (from a range of periods), has accommodation which is either in or right next to the college for all three years, is right in the centre of town, and has a range of prices (at least for accommodation).

It does have a 'daily cap' for internet usage, though, and IDK about the private:state ratio. However, I think it is worth pointing out that there probably isn't that much of a difference between private and state school students at Cambridge. Even if we ignore that most people say something along the lines of "nobody notices", IIRC, state school applications to Cambridge are concentrated (generally) in a small group of state schools typically from more affluent areas, so it seems pretty likely that many students from state schools will have similar backgrounds to students there from private schools - or at least, that could very well be the case.

Anyway, I've an offer from Christ's, and the place is lovely! You should definitely check it out.

(Great picture by the way)
Original post by tomfailinghelp
Christ's College has mostly old architecture (from a range of periods), has accommodation which is either in or right next to the college for all three years, is right in the centre of town, and has a range of prices (at least for accommodation).

It does have a 'daily cap' for internet usage, though, and IDK about the private:state ratio. However, I think it is worth pointing out that there probably isn't that much of a difference between private and state school students at Cambridge. Even if we ignore that most people say something along the lines of "nobody notices", IIRC, state school applications to Cambridge are concentrated (generally) in a small group of state schools typically from more affluent areas, so it seems pretty likely that many students from state schools will have similar backgrounds to students there from private schools - or at least, that could very well be the case.

Anyway, I've an offer from Christ's, and the place is lovely! You should definitely check it out.

I have a friend at Christ's and he loves it, although he told me that it's not got many fun people there (yeah I know that's subjective and probably wrong lol).
The private/state thing is just for my own interest, I go to a state school and rarely mix with privately educated students so I want to meet a lot and just observe how different they might be, but also stay with my state school 'brethren' :tongue:
And thanks lol, I made it when I first began experimenting in photoshop 2 years ago and have been using it as an avatar since
Love Gonville and Caius, but also really like Fitzwilliam and Girton.

So unsure... Ultimately, college isn't too much of an issue for me, what matters is trying to get an offer!
Original post by tomfailinghelp

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know it says somewhere in the documentation there is an internet limit, but I've never heard of anyone being affected by it or anything, and I know a few people who watch a great deal of Netflix.
Original post by not you
I have a friend at Christ's and he loves it, although he told me that it's not got many fun people there (yeah I know that's subjective and probably wrong lol).
The private/state thing is just for my own interest, I go to a state school and rarely mix with privately educated students so I want to meet a lot and just observe how different they might be, but also stay with my state school 'brethren' :tongue:
And thanks lol, I made it when I first began experimenting in photoshop 2 years ago and have been using it as an avatar since

I don't remember people identifying themselves as private or state school brethren after the first term, if at all. You belonged to the same college or subject or team or choir.
It is true that a good proportion of state school pupils came from grammars but probably the main thing you learn is that people are not that different wherever they came from. What I learned is that state school pupils are far more bothered about people's background and liable to have prejudices against private or affluent students than the reverse. It's true on TSR too.
(Puts on hard hat and ducks!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Principia
Posted from TSR Mobile

I know it says somewhere in the documentation there is an internet limit, but I've never heard of anyone being affected by it or anything, and I know a few people who watch a great deal of Netflix.

Nor have I! I just found that on the website. I think you're probably right that it isn't very important in practice.
Original post by not you

I would say Corpus meets those criteria!
Original post by mespannerhanz
I would say Corpus meets those criteria!

yeah I'm stuck between St Johns and Corpus tbh :frown:
do you know which one has cheaper rent? :tongue:
No one applying for Clare on TSR this year?

Sweet :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
No one applying for Clare on TSR this year?

Sweet :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry, the Clare crew will come along after results day :tongue:
Reply 5031
Original post by not you

This is Johns. There are more reasons to pick Johns, but all of these apply.
Original post by Scarlet Sword
im looking to study maths and i am looking for a college with this criteria: is trinity college correct?

things i care about:
Academically pushy
makes things cheap for students
Good for showing off. (as in how awesome you sound when you say you go to X college to your friends)
Central location
Big en suite room
Gym
Dont want a STEP offer that includes an S

things I dont care about:
formals
walking on grass
building looks pretty
how good the food is
state school and gender ratios
how 'friendly' the college is

Johns has quite a lot of en suites, although often you have to either get lucky or get a first to have one. Johns accommodation is still some of the best in the uni - there really aren't small rooms or rooms away from toilets, or rooms away from college.

Trinity is more academically pushy from what I've heard, but I know Johns offers a lot of incentives to do well academically (i.e. giving out ~500 quid to everyone who gets a fist, a free £150 meal, etc.)

Trinity are known to give out S,S offers occasionally. As far as I'm aware, all the mathmos at Johns got a 1,1 offer.

It really is a toss up between trinity and johns from what you've said.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by not you

Not that it actually matters in reality:
http://thetab.com/uk/cambridge/2015/03/02/how-private-is-your-college-47768
Still no Clare applicants on this thread?

I am disappoint, as usul :frown:
Reply 5034

I don't think a link to a tab article disqualifies their opinion.
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Still no Clare applicants on this thread?

I am disappoint, as usul :frown:
Go back to the main applicants thread after thursday (which is results day according to the sidebar) and you will find plenty. Clare is the most popular college overall ATM.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by R T

The tab article provides the data they seek.

The opinion was mine.

Thanks for your input.
Original post by R T
Johns accommodation is still some of the best in the uni - there really aren't small rooms or rooms away from toilets, or rooms away from college.

Not really. Johns have great first year rooms but some of the rooms for second/third years are really poor. Some of the girls I know ended up in a really small room/ a shared room in their third year. One of the girls room was particularly bad. She was allocated to a shared room with another girl (with a make-shift 'wall' between them to separate the bedroom/study areas) and the only access to the shared bathroom/toilet was to walk through the other girl's bedroom.
It's all down to housing ballot, but if you're unlucky that can be what you get.

Exactly!
The only important part in the article is this. (Insert a name of any college in place of Trinity)
"Nobody really cares where you went, we’re all here now.”Trinity second year Mariella Salazar said: “While I do think this news is quite surprising, I never really thought about which school my friends at Trinity went to, to be honest.“No one ever seemed to ask or make it a big deal.”
Original post by R T
Go back to the main applicants thread after thursday (which is results day according to the sidebar) and you will find plenty. Clare is the most popular college overall ATM.

Well then, my chances are pretty much null then.
Reply 5039
Original post by vincrows
Not really. Johns have great first year rooms but some of the rooms for second/third years are really poor. Some of the girls I know ended up in a really small room/ a shared room in their third year. One of the girls room was particularly bad. She was allocated to a shared room with another girl (with a make-shift 'wall' between them to separate the bedroom/study areas) and the only access to the shared bathroom/toilet was to walk through the other girl's bedroom.
It's all down to housing ballot, but if you're unlucky that can be what you get.
Really? was this when the cripps renovations were still underway? Do you know specifically what rooms these were? In my time here I have hardly ever heard complaints from other students outside of "my bedder is annoying", "the people on my staircase are annoying", etc.

So maybe the issue was that that year just had a lack of people applying for double sets - because John's has an excess of rooms compared to students as a policy.

There are some bad rooms in college, but they are almost exclusively a few rooms in the hostels and 95% of undergrads will avoid them if they want to. Furthermore, if you really care about a room you can just get a first and pick wherever :wink:

Original post by vincrows
Exactly!
The only important part in the article is this. (Insert a name of any college in place of Trinity)

This isn't a personal attack at all, and it isn't really a response to you but honestly so many people get this wrong that it does sometimes annoy me.

The private/state school thing about cambridge is completely false. Not because Cambridge is really good about taking in students from very low socio-economic backgrounds, but because of the way the system categorizes schools and uses this as the measurement.

What I mean by this is that the vast, vast majority of people in cambridge are middle class. If they went to a state school, they almost always went to either a grammar or a state school in a very middle class area that essentially has similar opportunities to most private schools. It really baffles me that people think it is more noble somehow to be from a grammar school which has better average results than most private schools. In such cases, of course there isn't a social divide. These people have the same background. And the difference between being in a middle class family that goes on holidays, can afford to cover uni costs, etc. and coming from a school like eton/harrow is really not that large at all. Apart from maybe slightly fancier stuff, these people all come from roughly the same background and so it would never occur to them that "A is from a state school and B is from a private school" and that this somehow made a difference.

To pick upon the actual issue - there are some people who genuinely aren't from the same background. I'm not talking about a grammar that sends 40+ students every year, I'm talking about the kids who are literally the only ones to ever get into Oxbridge, or even a decent university, from their school or college. Although the University does have grants, etc. there is no denying that these people struggle and they simply do not fit in as quickly. It is apparent that they are definitely not the same as the other students or your old school friends. Unfortunately, most of them simply don't get in because their education was so bad that it would have made them much more challenging to teach and guide. Fortunately, those that do get in normally get going or so after a while.

The tl;dr is get over the state/private school divide, it means nothing in the context of students in cambridge.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending