The Student Room Group

The Big 'Which Cambridge College?' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maracatinca
I was going to ask this in the 'Ask an AT' thread, but apparently it closed yesterday :/
Anyway, I was wondering... for my course, some colleges will demand a test at interview and others will not. I am currently interested in two colleges, one of which just interviews (Christ) and the other who also demands a test (Homerton). I would like to know: how would (not) taking a test affect my eventual chances of getting pooled? I know I'm probably thinking too far ahead, but it's better, I suppose, to be prepared for situations that won't happen than the other way around. Can anyone help me?

Taking the test just gives another piece of data about you, personally I'd rather not have had another test.

If you are to be pooled and your college thinks you are a good candidate, they will try and sell you.

So not having a test won't disadvantage you at all.

Homerton and Christ's are very different with regards to location though.
Original post by jneill
x

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Taking the test just gives another piece of data about you, personally I'd rather not have had another test.

If you are to be pooled and your college thinks you are a good candidate, they will try and sell you.

So not having a test won't disadvantage you at all.

Homerton and Christ's are very different with regards to location though.

Yeah, I know, but a 30 minute walk to class doesn't seem like that much of a deal to me, that's what I make to school in the morning so. Distance to convenience stores and stuff re:h:omerton is something I don't really know though. I'll follow the college threads more closely.
Anyway, thank you both so much, although you made it harder for me to decide haha. Is it true though that Christ's is better as far as expenses are concerned?
Yeah, I know, but a 30 minute walk to class doesn't seem like that much of a deal to me, that's what I make to school in the morning so. Distance to convenience stores and stuff re:h:omerton is something I don't really know though. I'll follow the college threads more closely.
Anyway, thank you both so much, although you made it harder for me to decide haha. Is it true though that Christ's is better as far as expenses are concerned?

I don't think I can answer as I'm going to Christ's :tongue: so will be biased. That and I don't know how Homerton will work.

However, Homerton have a flat rate which they charge everyone regardless of the accommodation you receive. Christ's it varies and the price reflects the room you get.

It varies from around 875-1401 at Christ's with most of them lying in the 1000-1200 range ish per term

Which course you going for? (not that it's relevant, just wondering)
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I don't think I can answer as I'm going to Christ's :tongue: so will be biased. That and I don't know how Homerton will work.

However, Homerton have a flat rate which they charge everyone regardless of the accommodation you receive. Christ's it varies and the price reflects the room you get.

It varies from around 875-1401 at Christ's with most of them lying in the 1000-1200 range ish per term

Which course you going for? (not that it's relevant, just wondering)

Ooh, that's useful info, thanks! How much you would say your expenses are per term?
I'm going for Linguistics, which seems quite competitive at Christ's but going by stats is apparently a bad idea, so I'll ignore that lol. Do you happen to know how many people are studying this at your college?
Ooh, that's useful info, thanks! How much you would say your expenses are per term?
I'm going for Linguistics, which seems quite competitive at Christ's but going by stats is apparently a bad idea, so I'll ignore that lol. Do you happen to know how many people are studying this at your college?

I'm only starting this year so can't say for sure expenses.

1229 rent
200 caution money for undergraduate time
149 kitchen charge
300 prepaid for food (you use the card, and then if you spend less you get it back, if you spend more you pay more the next term, it'll make sense)

Can't think what else in that light.

If you drink that will probably be what causes expenses!

Ooh very interesting!! Yeah definitely don't play the stats game. I chose Christ's over Jesus (well I already had Christ's in mind, but saw jesus, but was put off by the numbers) and then it ended up being Christ's with the highest number of applicants for NatSci EVER

I don't know how many in the entire college, but smaller subjects tend to form nice groups I hear.

I'd have thought it smaller at Homerton but you can check out on the stats pages
I was going to ask this in the 'Ask an AT' thread, but apparently it closed yesterday :/
Anyway, I was wondering... for my course, some colleges will demand a test at interview and others will not. I am currently interested in two colleges, one of which just interviews (Christ) and the other who also demands a test (Homerton). I would like to know: how would (not) taking a test affect my eventual chances of getting pooled? I know I'm probably thinking too far ahead, but it's better, I suppose, to be prepared for situations that won't happen than the other way around. Can anyone help me?

Just to add to what others have said already....
Whether a test at interview is good thing for you or not will mostly depend on you; if you prefer a written test or would rather have interviews. So choose the one which you think would be to your advantage.

Yes, you're right, statistic game does not work. Pooling systme there to make sure it doesn't.
All the info about how pooling system works and other useful info on Cambridge application are found in this post, if you haven't looked at it yet.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3554013

Also, as someone has alrady confessed, the info/opinions offered about a college/s in this forum can be very biased. So take them with a large pinch of salt.
Basically, so many people want to plug the college they are/were or are going to. It's because almost everyone at Cambridge thinks their college is the best.... which is quite assuring as, whichever college you end up at, you will probably be happy. :smile:

But if you're not cycling, Homerton and Girton are not the easiest colleges for commuting.
It'll probably take 40-45 min from Homerton to Sidgwick Site (where depatment of linguistics is) which is off the centre in the west.
If someone could help me out I would be extremely grateful as I really can't decide what college I should go for. Now I know a lot of people that get in end up in a different college anyway, but I'd like put down a college that I know suits me. My preferences would be:
- An outgoing college that is near pubs and clubs and holds a lot of social events.
- Somewhere with impressive architecture that is old and historic.
- Not too far away from humanities.
- A large college.

Thanks.
Original post by Sajabajax
If someone could help me out I would be extremely grateful as I really can't decide what college I should go for. Now I know a lot of people that get in end up in a different college anyway, but I'd like put down a college that I know suits me. My preferences would be:
- An outgoing college that is near pubs and clubs and holds a lot of social events.
- Somewhere with impressive architecture that is old and historic.
- Not too far away from humanities.
- A large college.

Thanks.

- All colleges are 'outgoing' and holds many social events. Not much difference between colleges. There're many pubs both in town centre and also at the edges/outside of town, so there'll be a pub or two whichever your college is. Also, from 2nd year onward, there's a possibility you're living in a college house/accommodation off the main college site, so the location of college can become irrelevant. Also, Cambridge is a small town, you can get to almost anywhere you need in less than 10/15 min bike ride.
There're only three clubs in Cambridge, all in town centre.

- You can have a look at the websites of any old colleges in town centre. You'll find the photos of their building there. Pick any building you fancy.

- What do you mean 'humanities'??? There're many humanities courses at Cambridge and many faculties/departments to house them in many different locations in/out of town centre. Also, the lectures/supervisions can be held at different locations even within one course. But again, the same thing apply here as above. Your place of accommodation can change in 2nd/3rd year and Cambridge is small enough to get to anywhere easily.

- large, as in physical size of the college site or number of students?
need to decide tonight which college so any help would be greatly appreciated!!
I'm applying for medicine (deferred entry) and am stuck between Pembroke or Queens'. :smile:
Original post by alexandra8
need to decide tonight which college so any help would be greatly appreciated!!
I'm applying for medicine (deferred entry) and am stuck between Pembroke or Queens'. :smile:

Pembroke has better reputation on food (actually said to be one of the best for food at Cambridge) and doesn't get much tourists as Queens' does (both in/around college) because it's less well-known and slightly out of tourists' way.
There used to be Pembroke students in this forum a few years ago who plugged the college at every single chance with glorious praise, but I have a couple of family member who were at Queens' and they absolutely love their college, too.
Queens' is much bigger than Pembroke, both in the number of students and the size of main site.

So basically, i'm pretty sure you'll be very happy with either, as almost all Cambridge students are happy with their college. But if you have any preference in the size of colleges, Queens is much bigger than Pembroke both in terms of the number of students and the size of main site.

Maybe throw a dice and decide? ......and I'm not joking. :wink:
Original post by vincrows
Pembroke has better reputation on food (actually said to be one of the best for food at Cambridge) and doesn't get much tourists as Queens' does (both in/around college) because it's less well-known and slightly out of tourists' way.
There used to be Pembroke students in this forum a few years ago who plugged the college at every single chance with glorious praise, but I have a couple of family member who were at Queens' and they absolutely love their college, too.
Queens' is much bigger than Pembroke, both in the number of students and the size of main site.

So basically, i'm pretty sure you'll be very happy with either, as almost all Cambridge students are happy with their college. But if you have any preference in the size of colleges, Queens is much bigger than Pembroke both in terms of the number of students and the size of main site.

Maybe throw a dice and decide? ......and I'm not joking. :wink:

Haha i feel as if it might have to come to that! Both seem really great, lots of good facilities, both have good food and veg meals available as well as kitchens if i want to cook, accommodation seems decent with both too (?)
Not sure if i would prefer going to a bigger place where there are more people to get to know? but then pembroke has travel grants... :tongue:
Haha i feel as if it might have to come to that! Both seem really great, lots of good facilities, both have good food and veg meals available as well as kitchens if i want to cook, accommodation seems decent with both too (?)
Not sure if i would prefer going to a bigger place where there are more people to get to know? but then pembroke has travel grants... :tongue:

All colleges have travel grants. :wink:
I really don't think there's much between them, honestly.
And also university life if very different from school. You never get to know all the people in your year group, as everyone is working on different timetables which is very intense and demanding, belonging to different clubs/societies which they have to make time for around their work, etc. So even after 3/4 years, the chances are you only really get to know and mingle with people who are 1) doing the same course, 2) is/was in the same corridor (accommodation), 3) belong to same clubs/societies and possibly some others through the friends you made by one of those three possibilities. So the size of college may not make much difference to your life either, unless it's very small. Pembroke is smaller than Queens, but they are NOT a small college but a medium size. :wink:

Some of us are still here. :ninja:

Go for Pembroke. :h:
what was the deal breaker for you? :wink:

Original post by alex_hk90

Does anyone have any thoughts on Corpus Christi?
Original post by alex_hk90

Oh I forgot you were at Pembroke too. But you weren't one of those desperate and persistent pluggers . :wink:
what was the deal breaker for you? :wink:

To be honest for me it was a choice between Pembroke and Emma; I visited both during an open day around Easter and Pembroke felt more right for me - the then DoS of my subject took the prospective Economics applicants out to have a chat in the garden which was very pleasant. Turned out that half of the people accepted for Economics in my year were in the small group of 5 of 6 who had that chat. :h: Similarly at the interviews my supervisors were friendly, challenging and interesting. :smile:

Having studied there for 3 years I think it has a really good balance between generally strong academic performance and a lively social life. The reputation for some of (if not the) best food in Cambridge is well deserved, and having the option of Formal every night (at least when I was there) was really useful for celebrating occasions or having friends (or family) visit from other universities or back home. :yep:
What's the best College to apply to for chemical engineering? Need to decide soon!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sabi599
What's the best College to apply to for chemical engineering? Need to decide soon!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

There isn't such thing as 'best college for <insert a course here>'....
If you can't decide, go for open application?
There isn't such thing as 'best college for <insert a course here>'....
If you can't decide, go for open application?

Problem is I only have AS FM as my school doesnt teach it and im having to self study this year. Im afraid of getting assigned to a college that needs the full A Level.

Quick Reply