Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

The Big 'Which Cambridge College?' Thread

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I didnt even know there were colleges with en-suite rooms.

The buildings are hundereds of years old (mainly) so the rooms are'nt going to be up to much are they
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EasyTiger)
    I didnt even know there were colleges with en-suite rooms.

The buildings are hundereds of years old (mainly) so the rooms are'nt going to be up to much are they
    That's very much not true. Some of the buildings, in some of the colleges, are a few hundred years old. But the accommodation has been kept up to scratch -- en-suite is quite common at many colleges, for example.

To the OP:

My first recommendation is to look through college websites or the like, and check off your points. But to briefly comment on each one:

Law student counts aren't (to the best of my knowledge) going to be 'huge' anywhere.

Clare has en-suite rooms for 1st years. I don't know about anywhere else.

Cambridge these days has a fairly even mix of state and private school people, and you won't be looked down on anywhere for having come up from a state school.

Shared kitchens (known as 'gyp-rooms') are very standard, normally distributed a few to a staircase. Catering arrangements in each college are different -- look on the websites. Most students will likely prepare some meals of their own, but eat in the communal facilities a fair amount of the time (however, there is massive variance in this).

All the colleges will have teams in the 'standard' sports, and in some others besides -- I'm not aware of any being notably 'sporty', although some do undeniably better than others in inter-college tournaments.

Most importantly, once you've picked (for whatever reason), go and visit it. Make sure you feel you'll be happy to live and work there for the next few years. If you have any doubts, try a few others as well.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prag92)
    -Large law student count/A favoured Law college
    This will say how many law students each college usually takes
    -En-suite accommodation for first years
    I don't think any college guarantees this, you'll find it scattered here and there, like in the Stephen Hawking Building at Caius
    -Not too posh, preferably students from state schools (though i know this is v opinion based)
    Well they all have students from state schools, I assume you don't require them to exclusively take state pupils, because none of them do this.[/QUOTE]
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Downing?
    - Large law student count, one of the best law lecturers, a whole massive floor of the library devoted to law, apparently the law college
    - Lovely en-suite accommodation available
    - Not too posh with plenty of state school applicants
    - Gyp kitchens, as per usual in Cambridge
    - Pretty sure it's got a good reputation for being sporty
    - Lovely atmosphere, gorgeous buildings, not too old, not new
    - Good location in the town, not too far a walk from anywhere really
    I've been told a million times - you'll enjoy it wherever you pick
    If you're applying for Law at Cambridge this year - go join the Law Applicants Thread (see my sig) and the Cambridge Applicants Thread!
    • 4 followers

Robinson College:
    -Large law student count/A favoured Law college
    Not 100% sure about this one. See here for more info.
    -En-suite accommodation for first years
    ~50% of the accommodation is en-suite, and in the other 50% you're sharing a bathroom/toilet with one other room, so it's practically en-suite.
    -Not too posh, preferably students from state schools (though i know this is v opinion based)
    To the best of my knowledge, Robinson has the highest state school intake of all colleges. Even if it's not the highest, the staterivate ratio is much higher than most other colleges.
    -And i havent come across any shared kitchens at any colleges yet, or are they ALL halls?:confused:
    There are shared kitchens on each staircase in the college, which you can use instead of the restaurant if you want.
    -And perhaps a sporty college, though this isnt a must
    This might give you an idea.

It's not an old or pretty college, but it's comfortable :p: It's worth paying it a visit anyway.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As above for NatSci Bio. I have about an hour to choose before sending my COAF off last minute!

Help guys!!! Need your opinions on this!

Would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Toss a coin. Heads Downing tails Trinity.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    my old maths teacher (who had just graduated from cambridge) said downing was always full of rich private schoolboy types, so advised me NOT to apply there!.
    i'd personally go for trinity.

lol ok from the amount of people commenting on it, my teacher was obviously WRONG

but well if you still cant decide, look at which is closer to your subjects lecture halls?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I applied to downing for law and after the interview they refused me for a very stupid reason so my advice is don't go there...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheeyang)
    As above for NatSci Bio. I have about an hour to choose before sending my COAF off last minute!

Help guys!!! Need your opinions on this!

Would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS
    How long do the people at your school say the COAF takes to reach Cambridge from Singapore? I mean, how do you send it?

And Trinity's had some of the top scientists there (Newton etc...) but Downing has the wide open paddocks and stuff.

(Original post by nedMALK)
    I applied to downing for law and after the interview they refused me for a very stupid reason so my advice is don't go there...
    What was the reason? (PM me if you don't want to post it) - I might be applying to Downing to study law.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My school is in the UK, asking them to mail it by next day post. Just left that college part out and going to ask them to fill it in and toss it in the mail.

Downing is right nextdoor to the lectures, and has amazing rooms. But trinity. The accomodation is good, and abit further from the lectures, but oh my god the prestige.

Im so confused right now!

Which is harder to get in? If i get pooled by trinity, do i have a shot at downing? I could express interest!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok, be honest with yourself, if you have an amazing academic record even by OXbridge applicant standards then apply to Trinity, if you think you have a fairly good academic record then apply Downing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nedMALK)
    I'm considering applying to Downing for law right now. What was the reason they rejected you, if you don't mind me asking? Please PM me if you don't want to post in the thread.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure about oxbridge applicant standards. Whats a 95-96% in everything?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammy21)
    I'm considering applying to Downing for law right now. What was the reason they rejected you, if you don't mind me asking? Please PM me if you don't want to post in the thread.
    :hmmm: -evil glare-

Just kidding. :p:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh the above question, and what do they mean by trinity being very formal? Is it to the extent that its suffocating?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    my old maths teacher (who had just graduated from cambridge) said downing was always full of rich private schoolboy types, so advised me NOT to apply there!.

but well if you still cant decide, look at which is closer to your subjects lecture halls?
    Not true at all.

I personally love Downing. Though I'm happy at Homerton, if I were to apply again, I'd probably go for Downing. You get an AMAZING room in your first year, and everyone I know there is lovely.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammyrj)
    Not true at all.

I personally love Downing. Though I'm happy at Homerton, if I were to apply again, I'd probably go for Downing. You get an AMAZING room in your first year, and everyone I know there is lovely.
    fair enough lol, and yeh the rooms looked pretty immense when i looked round!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)

Erm...

(if anything, Trinity is the college full of 'private schoolboy types')

I like both colleges. When I was applying, I very nearly applied to them (opted for King's in the end). I'd go for Trinity just because I like the typical Cambridge architecture.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i think trinity would be the best choice!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 19, 2014
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.