The Student Room Group

The Big 'Which Cambridge College?' Thread

Applying to Cambridge? Want some help choosing a college?

Check out the guide on the TSR wiki: How to choose a Cambridge College.

Then if you have any questions, or need any help, post in this thread :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Other than your own college, which of these do you rate most highly? Please feel free to give your reasons.

Clare
Downing
King's
Pembroke
Trinity
Reply 2
err, trinity, if i had to pick one, though it has bad points (namely size (and a crap bar)).

my personal favourites are caius, sidney, emma, jesus. but you didn't list them.

[obligatory]but all colleges are great, you'll love wherever you go, we can't make the decision for you...[/obligatory]
Reply 3
All of them. (Honestly).
Reply 4
Have you looked at the alternative prospectus descriptions?

I like Downing and chose it because I'd narrowed down to Emma and Downing using the alternative prospectus but my best friend and girlfriend are at Emma, so I chose to go for Downing.
Reply 5
Trinity has an awesome quad.
If you put me on the spot out of those I'd say Pembroke. But you're missing by far and away the most awesomest college ever...
Reply 7
KAISER_MOLE
But you're missing by far and away the most awesomest college ever...

...Newnham. (Where we don't use words such as "awesomest"). :p:
Um, any, really. Maybe Clare. Or Trinity. Or just anything.
Reply 9
Pembroke :smile:
Reply 10
epitome
...Newnham. (Where we don't use words such as "awesomest"). :p:

Especially not with 'most' beforehand. *shudder* :p:

OP, if you're trying to narrow down what you want, the best thing to do is go to open days: nobody here can realistically tell you what's right for you.
If your college don't believe in most awesomest, then they can't be most awesomest. They can be brilliant, quintessential, corpulent...but never most awesomest
Reply 12
KAISER_MOLE
corpulent

?!?! You callin' us FAT, man?!

*laughs, a lot*
Reply 13
I couldn't even remotely give you directions to Downing or Pembroke if you put a gun to my head, so they're out for being completely nondescript. I find it difficult to have a conversation with 90% of the people at Trinity while drunk without immediately mimicking their accent, so I'd last about four hours there. King's and Clare are alright, I applied to Clare (though got pooled). King's is probably a bit too touristy and a bit too alternative for me, I quite like dressing up in gowns and stuff - if you're gonna go to Cambridge, you may as well revel in it.
Reply 14
Cantab
I couldn't even remotely give you directions to Downing or Pembroke if you put a gun to my head, so they're out for being completely nondescript. I find it difficult to have a conversation with 90% of the people at Trinity while drunk without immediately mimicking their accent, so I'd last about four hours there. King's and Clare are alright, I applied to Clare (though got pooled). King's is probably a bit too touristy and a bit too alternative for me, I quite like dressing up in gowns and stuff - if you're gonna go to Cambridge, you may as well revel in it.

I agree somewhat. When else in your life will you be able to stroll around in sub fusc (unless you become an academic)? What is this accent you speak of?
Reply 15
jammy21
I agree somewhat. When else in your life will you be able to stroll around in sub fusc (unless you become an academic)? What is this accent you speak of?

You don't wear sub fusc at Cambridge.

So posh you can see them physically straining to get the words out.
Reply 16
Cantab
You don't wear sub fusc at Cambridge. So posh you can see them physically straining to get the words out.

Forgive me for offending your Cantabrigian sensibilities with Oxonian terminology. :p: It all looks pretty similar.

Posh people are great fun, I think.
Reply 17
jammy21
Other than your own college, which of these do you rate most highly? Please feel free to give your reasons.

Clare
Downing
King's
Pembroke
Trinity

Out of those, I think Downing or Pembroke. Pembroke is aesthetically gorgeous, Downing has a good formal and lots of open space, and backs right onto the new museums site (so great for medics, geographers, bio natscis)

Trinity is lovely, but very very grand. Terrible formal, mediocre bar, but they do have an awesome mayball!

Kings = far too touristy, and full of students cutting through to get to the sidgwick site. Having said that, they have a lot of really good ents, they use their bar etc very well.

Clare - awesome bar. Only disadvantage is that 2nd years (and some 3rd yrs) are housed way away from college, up the hill. But Mem court does back onto the UL :tongue:
I'm at King's so I'd say that...but apart from that...Trinity. Just because of how it looks. I don't think I'd fit in there though. Clare or Downing possibly, again based on how they look. Clare also has a good bar.
Reply 19
Clare, cause the cellars are pretty awesome and it is pretty

Pembroke is probably alright, the people I know there are nice and I have been there but I can't really remember it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending