The Student Room Group

Where can I do a Masters for free in Europe?

Hey,

Is a bit far away yet, but good to start thinking early I guess. Would be interested in doing a History Masters degree in another Europian country and wondered which countries have a free postgraduate education system?

I once remember reading that Sweden did something like this, and my uni friends from Estonia also said education was free if you're bright enough in Estonia.

The course would have to be taught and examined in English.

Any info, or advice on where to go to get more info, would be greatly appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So far have found out that Sweden, Finland and apparently Germany all have free education systems. Is there anywhere hot in Europe or do only the cold places have free education lol?
Reply 2
Well, in Slovakia we have free education system. I'm not sure if you can study history in English though...
Reply 3
tony_ron
So far have found out that Sweden, Finland and apparently Germany all have free education systems. Is there anywhere hot in Europe or do only the cold places have free education lol?

Most Master degrees in Greece are free. And you get to stay in university halls for free too, and you get coupons -also for free- to eat at the uni's refectory.

We also have a hot hot summer and a warm enough winter which lasts around 3-4 months in total (it is summer time until early November and since late March). We no longer have an autumn or a spring:frown: (climate changes). Although I guess our winter is like your autumn...

But seriously, if you are looking for quality education and good uni facilities DON'T COME TO GREECE!!

Our education system is free for a reason....:rolleyes:

If you want to have fun though, this is the right place!
Reply 4
Although the History Department of the University of Athens is very good from what I hear.... Still crap facilities though.
Reply 5
Would these systems be free to you if you weren't a citizen of that country though?

I have to admit it wasn't something I'd ever thought of, but if you can get it then great. Just do your research first and think about the practical implications of living somewhere where you can't speak the language.
Reply 6
Wow Greece definitely sounds more fun! To be honest I'm just looking for a bit of a fun time abroad for a year, but would prefer to get a Masters at the same time. My undergrad is from a fairly good uni in Britain so I'm not too worried about the reputation of the uni as such.

So if I was to study in Greece, I could have no tuition fees, and no accommodation fees? AND a nice climate? Sounds a bit too good to be true even if the facilities are bad. Does it matter than I'm not from Greece?

Also is it only certain unis that have free accommodation, or all of them?
Undergraduate education is free here, but not postgraduate. Would Greece have history postgrads in English though..?
Reply 8
I'd imagine it would not matter if you were not a citizen of the country, so long as the country is a member of the EU...
I hear that Holland, though not free, is very inexpensive for postgraduate study, and many of their courses are taught in English, especially in universities such as Utrecht and Leiden
Reply 10
Sweden is not cold! LOL, depends where you go but basically uni is free for all.

But hey nice to come to another country and use their education which is free and then leave again. Costs us tax-payers hell of a lot of money. Thanks! *joke* ^^

haha, but that aside. Go for it, its there to be used so why not grab a good free education.
Reply 11
StarsAreFixed
Undergraduate education is free here, but not postgraduate. Would Greece have history postgrads in English though..?

StarsAreFixe - you are from Southern Ireland yeah? Just checking.

Ad yeah basically I'm looking for an EU country with free postgraduate education and couses in English. Though History is preferable, I'd consider any programme based on Law, Politics, Internationa Relations etc.

I won't have much money after uni so th more that is free, the better. That's why Greece appealed - free accommodation in halls - wow!
tony_ron
Wow Greece definitely sounds more fun! To be honest I'm just looking for a bit of a fun time abroad for a year, but would prefer to get a Masters at the same time. My undergrad is from a fairly good uni in Britain so I'm not too worried about the reputation of the uni as such.

So if I was to study in Greece, I could have no tuition fees, and no accommodation fees? AND a nice climate? Sounds a bit too good to be true even if the facilities are bad. Does it matter than I'm not from Greece?

Most of them do. If you are not a resident of the city in which the uni is found you are allowed free accommodation.

I don't know what is the case for international students though, if you are entitled to it or not. In any case, the rent in Greece is EXTREMELY LOW compared to the UK. You can find a small apartment to live at 200pounds a month. On your own -we are not used to flatmates here, most students live alone.

I would suggest you research a bit on how many Unis in Greece have History Departments (we have a different system here, no colleges) and contact them to see if they'll accept you and what benefits you'll have.

You are a citizen from another EU country so logically you should have the same benefits as Greek students.

Also, everyone here speaks English so you won't have a communication problem.

I have to warn you though: prepare yourself to meet some serious lack of organization and lots of bureaucracy. Greece is beautiful but a chaos compared to England. If you let yourself loose and are prepared to live in a country which hasn't decided yet if it belongs to the West or the East you'll have a great time.

I would suggest the University of Crete if it has a History department at Chania. You'll have the best time of your life there, the student life is amazing.
i hear Germany has a free uni education system (careful for the private ones though).
Reply 14
tony_ron

I must admit I've never heard anyone on this forum call Cambridge "fairly good". :p:
galladriel
Most Master degrees in Greece are free. And you get to stay in university halls for free too, and you get coupons -also for free- to eat at the uni's refectory.

We also have a hot hot summer and a warm enough winter which lasts around 3-4 months in total (it is summer time until early November and since late March). We no longer have an autumn or a spring:frown: (climate changes). Although I guess our winter is like your autumn...

But seriously, if you are looking for quality education and good uni facilities DON'T COME TO GREECE!!

Our education system is free for a reason....:rolleyes:

If you want to have fun though, this is the right place!

!!!!so...in effect....you could just have a year long (almost) all expenses paid holiday in Greece AND come out with a Masters to show for it!?!I shall be giving that some serious thought :wink:.
tony_ron

hm...I think Greece wouldn't be the right place for you...correct me if I am wrong Galladriel, but I think the lessons are in Greek. So unless you speak Greek it will be difficult for you..plus, the facilities are REALLY crappy. If you want to see how crappy check that
and, no, it wouldn't matter that you are not Greek...also, the History Department is pretty good ( compared to other departments in Greece...lol )
Milady de Winter
I hear that Holland, though not free, is very inexpensive for postgraduate study, and many of their courses are taught in English, especially in universities such as Utrecht and Leiden

I was about to suggest this - IIRC, the MA programmes are about £1,000 a year and the universities themselves are excellent.
Reply 18
IlexAquifolium
I was about to suggest this - IIRC, the MA programmes are about £1,000 a year and the universities themselves are excellent.

Amazing. I've been looking for a good excuse to live in Amsterdam. :p:
OP you are a Cambridge student??????:eek: :eek:

Then you would definitely get anywhere you wanted for free! But I'll have to agree with Xristina -the facilities here are crap.

Although Xristina, you do know that in order to do a Masters degree in Greece you have to have a Proficiency diploma in English language? That's because most Master degrees are taught in English -or at least the reading material is in English. Not sure about History departments though. In Panteio University where I studied Sociology, there were many Swedish students who couldn't even say one word in Greek and they did fine.

But honestly, if you come from Cambridge don't waste yourself here. Get a scholarship in California! There is a good weather too:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending