The Student Room Group

Business and Management Extended Essay?

Hey guys, I want to do my extended essay in the business and management area, but I have no idea where to start. The only thing I've heard about the business subject...is to avoid it... :eek:

So has anyone done their EE on business, or is planning to this year?

Any info would help, thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hi!

well I did mine in Business and Management and I'm really happy with the way it turned out but we will have to see if the external IB people who mark it agree! For me, the reason why I chose to do my EE is Business and Management was because it was the subject which I felt I could write 4000 words on without boring myself to death since I chose a topic which interested me.

But remember that you need to choose a topic which allows for you to collect primary research as well as secondary research so the company/school/charity etc that you choose to do you EE on, you have to know someone in that company etc so that you will be able to collect this primary research.

In my school around 7 did their EE in business and management with quite a few opting to do theirs in Psych, History and English.
Reply 2
Thanks for replying!

You sound pretty confident about your B&M EE, you have no idea how comforting that is! I'm really interested in the Business and Management stuff too, I don't think I would be able conjure up 4000 words with another area like biology.

Choosing the topic is my biggest concern right now. I've gone through the B&M EE guide at least twenty times, but I still can't figure out what they want me to investigate. From what I read, it sounded like I need to analyze fairly intense company info, like annual sales and growth rate.

I was wondering, would perhaps a small, independent store work as the subject of the topic, or does the IBO want a bigger establishment with more concrete financial reports?
Reply 3
I did mine in B&M too, got a C for it. My supervisor reckoned it was a B. Anyway if you need any help on it, ask me. If you want a copy of my EE, PM me and I'll give it to you :smile:
Reply 4
cabso1
I did mine in B&M too, got a C for it. My supervisor reckoned it was a B. Anyway if you need any help on it, ask me. If you want a copy of my EE, PM me and I'll give it to you :smile:

Oh yes, I'll definitely be needing a lot of help! Thank you so much for your offer :biggrin:

What was your B&M topic? I'm having trouble deciding on a topic >.<
Reply 5
ibMakesMeBlue
Oh yes, I'll definitely be needing a lot of help! Thank you so much for your offer :biggrin:

What was your B&M topic? I'm having trouble deciding on a topic >.<

What factors mostly contribute to budget airlines, such as Southwest and Airtran, surpassing the profitability of established legacy carriers such as Northwest Airlines (NWA) and Delta?

^that was my topic. If you PM me your email or email me, I'll give you a copy of it and give you some specific pointers.
Reply 6
Greetings from Denmark
Hey guys, I am also thinking about my EE in B&M topics such as: internet advertising or eye tracking technology in advertisement.
What are your topics on a B&M EE ?
And could anyone send me his old EE on email, just that I have a better overview of EE B&M.:smile:
Reply 7
anybody ?
Reply 8
I am doing an EE on B&M on vitamin water and its consequences due to marketing...
Still... I do not take the B&M class, any suggestions?
Reply 9
i also need help but i am not sure in what context.......i wanted to do something in recession but there is already someone who was doing the same thing....so yeah..i have no clue in whatsoever... :s-smilie:
Most of the students find writing a business and management stuffs mainly due to lack of ideas on how to write such papers. If you have to find the basics to write such papers, you have clearly succeeded in your efforts as knowing the pattern is very important in this kind of writings. In my experience too, I'm struggled to write down my business management essays mainly because of the above mentioned fact. But, i went over the issue easily when i get in touch with the professionals in writing field. They helped me with good writing tips to my management essays and that clearly worked for my efforts. Hope you have to find it useful too to make contributions in your works.
Reply 11
I have heard that it is a bad idea to do it in this area. Although it may be quite an easy subject to complete the EE in, Universities don't like this subject. This means that not only would they not like you to have chosen the subject initially, they would definitely hope you chose not to do your EE in this subject. I understand that it differs from case to case, and some universities wouldn't bat an eyelid over it, but I know that some universities, especially higher establishments, would prefer you to have completed a different subject or a different EE.
Reply 12
I dont know how to lay put the cover page. cana nyone help me out with that? also doing business and M for EE, and my research question is : To what extent did Etisalat Misr utilise the 7 Ps to increase its market share since its launch in 2007? Is this good?
Reply 13
Hey peeepz.

So I have chosen to do my EE on B&M..and I already have a question, but problem is, I dont know how to structure it!!!!!!

Has anyone done the B&M ia? Cuz apparently I heard you should structure your ee similar to your ia?

Anyways if anyone could get back to me, that would be great!
Original post by janee.wong
Hey peeepz.

So I have chosen to do my EE on B&M..and I already have a question, but problem is, I dont know how to structure it!!!!!!

Has anyone done the B&M ia? Cuz apparently I heard you should structure your ee similar to your ia?

Anyways if anyone could get back to me, that would be great!

Have you read through the EE guide? Both the general and B&M-specific bits? They offer great guidance.

Layout should be broadly similar to any extended essay. Look up real research papers and take it from there.

Key difference between B&M EE and IA is that EE focuses on secondary sources, with primary sources only needed where applicable. IA, at least at HL, is very much primary-source-focused.
Reply 15
Original post by cabso1
What factors mostly contribute to budget airlines, such as Southwest and Airtran, surpassing the profitability of established legacy carriers such as Northwest Airlines (NWA) and Delta?

^that was my topic. If you PM me your email or email me, I'll give you a copy of it and give you some specific pointers.

Dear Can you pls send me the copy of ur BM IA and EE.

Thanks a lot in advance

Regards,

Emmanuel
[email protected]
Reply 16
Greetings from Hong Kong (:

I'm doing my ee in business and management too and I can't seem to able to find an appropriate title. I want to do on based on marketing but every title I've had so far has been turned down as being "too much of economics".

Can someone give me some ideas? I'm thinking of maybe comparing the marketing strategies of 2 online companies ebay and taobao. Taobao is the china version of ebay... does anyone have any thoughts and ideas to help me please?

Also, would anyone mind sending me a copy of their EE? Send me a PM for my email please?

Thank you!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by cabso1

I am sorry this seems like a good thing
Is is okay if you could send me your EE
I guess you can send it to my e-mail

Please and Thank you

P.S. I am new to the student room
My email is [Removed - please use PMs or post here]
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Hi Guys,

I'm really keen to do my EE for bus in HR. But if I do that how exactly can I find research for it? I'm thinking it's gonna be a bit hard to find info on it. Do you have any ideas or has anyone done their EE on HR before?

TY
Reply 19
Hello,
I am doing my EE in B&M. But the company only allowed me to do in their finance or accounts department. Could someone suggest me a topic.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending