The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

oshi-
I called the accommodation services up today, they said 6th is their provisional date...but it could be as late as the 8th or 9th, and that's IF they get their email system working. As of now, they still haven't even allocated some people's (mine included) never mind sent them out.

I will reiterate the don't worry advice, that they will make you an offer but they are very slow. And add that you'll get used to them being slow inefficient landlords over the coming year, and that you'll get used to bugging them for maintenance and safety issues. You get a taste now of the pace and efficiency at which they work (this is the real living on the edge of self-catered - a lack of concern for safety and the joy of a broken oven in the middle of your kitchen when they fill in the report saying they've done the job because the idea of actually completing a task is a little too much) :smile:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 21
oshi-
How much money are you getting that you can regularly get smoked salmon from Waitrose!? I know people who are expected to live on 20 quid a week for food :v

4625 pounds a year but no rent to pay

they're a cooperative mang it's worth paying a little extra to know you aren't exploitng the workers
Reply 22
Wow, that's more double what I'm getting o.o

I'd love to pay to ensure workers aren't exploited, but I have to eat :frown:
Reply 23
i always thought that scottish students got huge amounts of money! i guess things aren't so great up there after all. are you sure you filled in your student finance form right? :tongue:
Reply 24
I got the fees paid for me just fine, but I didn't take a loan out. My parents insist I loan interest-free from them :/
artorscience?
I will reiterate the don't worry advice, that they will make you an offer but they are very slow. And add that you'll get used to them being slow inefficient landlords over the coming year, and that you'll get used to bugging them for maintenance and safety issues. You get a taste now of the pace and efficiency at which they work (this is the real living on the edge of self-catered - a lack of concern for safety and the joy of a broken oven in the middle of your kitchen when they fill in the report saying they've done the job because the idea of actually completing a task is a little too much) :smile:

I'll second this. The shower in our flat was broken the day we moved in, and continued to be so for the whole of Freshers' week. The repairmen finally came, but did something wrong and had to come again. :rolleyes: Although when I had troubles with paying my rent on time, all I did was email them explaining my situation, and they answered me back in a few days telling I could pay later when I have money. So it's not all slow and inefficient. :smile:
elisabethbridge
So it's not all slow and inefficient. :smile:

It's proof they're rubbish landlords though, any landlord worth their salt would never let their tenants skip paying rent consistently (I got three months in arrears!). I'm not surprised about your shower. Our bathroom floor was rotting (under the vinyl floor) so we were promised that it would be replaced while we were away over Christmas. Needless to say, workmen showed up in February and took two weeks to do it, leaving 6 of us with only one bathroom and no shower. They then left behind all their work materials and never came back once they were done!
Well, I'm glad they're rubbish, otherwise I would have been in trouble. :biggrin: I wish paying rent monthly would've actually meant monthly (9 months), instead of seven installments. I found the amount of money paid at once quite a lot. Anyone happen to have any idea why it's 7 and not 9? Has it got something to do with how student loans or support is paid to Scottish or English etc. students perhaps?

Anyone heard anything about their deposits yet, by the way? :rolleyes:
Reply 28
Oh balls - I was not aware it's in 7 installments! That pushes my moneys into a bit of a sticky wicket.

I was under the impression SAAS paid in monthly amounts... will the rent payments sync up?
Grum Fox
Oh balls - I was not aware it's in 7 installments! That pushes my moneys into a bit of a sticky wicket.

I was under the impression SAAS paid in monthly amounts... will the rent payments sync up?

I don't know how SAAS pays (I'm an international student), but my rent was due 28/9, 1/11, 28/11, 28/12, 28/1, 28/2 and 28/3 (which I didn't pay till 28/4 though). But as the contract is from Sept till the end of May, they're flexible about payments and as far as they get the money till the end of the lease, I guess they're happy.

Also, about the deposit. I checked myed, and I suppose it's actually been paid back to my mum's account. I'll have to ask her about it...
elisabethbridge
Anyone heard anything about their deposits yet, by the way? :rolleyes:

My deposit was paid back a while ago now... (11th July or there abouts) :smile: I didn't really get why it wasn't taken monthly but I guess it's so that people don't decide to stop paying when they move out a month/month and a half before the end of the lease, thus they receive their full amount of money despite the majority of first years not living in Edinburgh gone the end of April.
Darroch Court place confirmed today get in :biggrin:
Reply 32
Congrats on your washing-machine-included self!
Reply 33
CompactDestruction
Darroch Court place confirmed today get in :biggrin:
I'm jealous -- I got Sciennes. It does irritate me a little that nothing like this ever goes my way, but it should be great anyway. There's one girl from my school at Sciennes as far as I know, which is good. I don't envy the Chancellour's Court kids, there's at least 4 from my school staying there, and that's just the medical students!

Anyone else at Sciennes - especially Sciennes 2, and even more especially if you're in flat 8 - add me on Facebook, or Bebo if that's your thang. Don't be put off by the display pic, it's supposed to be a parody -- if you can believe that :tongue:

A new question (born out of necessity, you might say): Where do you do your washing if you don't have a machine in your flat?
oshi-
Where do you do your washing if you don't have a machine in your flat?

There's a "laundry" around the back of Sciennes the buildings in the car park (behind 26 and opposite 24 I think). So there's 3 pay for washing machines and 3 pay for dryers for all the flats in Sciennes 2 (so 52 flats or so)... lots of fun. £1.60 for a normal cycle and 20p for 12 minutes of dryer (making £1 for an hour - don't make the mistake the Americans all seem to do of waiting for each 12 minutes to be up before carefully putting in another 20p...).

Out of interest which stair are you in? (and it seems a bit odd that they've put a male so high up in the building... they're usually so determined to fill the lower parts of the buildings with males, but good for you, no threat of rapist attacks :p:)
Reply 35
artorscience?
There's a "laundry" around the back of Sciennes the buildings in the car park (behind 26 and opposite 24 I think). So there's 3 pay for washing machines and 3 pay for dryers for all the flats in Sciennes 2 (so 52 flats or so)... lots of fun. £1.60 for a normal cycle and 20p for 12 minutes of dryer (making £1 for an hour - don't make the mistake the Americans all seem to do of waiting for each 12 minutes to be up before carefully putting in another 20p...).

Out of interest which stair are you in? (and it seems a bit odd that they've put a male so high up in the building... they're usually so determined to fill the lower parts of the buildings with males, but good for you, no threat of rapist attacks :p:)
Oh wow, that whole thing sounds a great deal of fun.

They keep males lower down in the building? Sounds like one of those things you hear about the olden days.
oshi-
They keep males lower down in the building? Sounds like one of those things you hear about the olden days.

In the olden days surely the men and women would have been in entirely different buildings. To me this is one of those new fangled things brought on by the rise of health and safety and risk assessment mumbojumbo :p:

And it is all fun. Of course laundry is fun... who told you it wasn't?
Reply 37
oshi-

It's our duty to defend the girls upstairs from any marauders that try to get in
Reply 38
artorscience?: I got the impression from your tone that it was perhaps a horrifically draining and basically **** experience. Am I wrong?

The Saurus
It's our duty to defend the girls upstairs from any marauders that try to get in
I will invest in a sturdy broadsword then, good sir. We must not let our Edinburgh Uni women be compromised by the bucaneers and philanderers of that fine city!

If I meet you at Freshers' and your not wearing a Viking hat, I will be sorely disappointed.
oshi-
I got the impression from your tone that it was perhaps a horrifically draining and basically **** experience. Am I wrong?

Heh, it's not terrible, it's just doing laundry. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending