The Student Room Group

Did you cope/are you coping with work and A levels?

Just wondering if there are others who cope with work as well as their A levels. I work part time in Starbucks (mostly about 9 hours a week) and I was wondering if there are people who get good grades, manage their social lives and work quite a few hours a week.

edit: Sorry for the grammatical error
I cope absolutely fine. Why wouldn't anyone, if they made the right choice?
I worked at least 20 hours a week sometimes upto 30 hours with my A-levels. And also went out at least once a week.

I got good grades! Not a string of A's but I think I did as well as I could.

It is definitly do-able it is just whether you're prepared to do it. Should see a nurses timetable at uni- that is bloody hard work!
I coped with Part-Time work and A levels, although I did only work about 8 hours as well.
I also love going out, pubbing and clubbing it alot but I never found it really affected my exams because I always kept it for nights when I knew I wouldnt be in school the next day or just left it til the weekend.
Reply 4
Up until christmas I may be expected to work 12 hours a week and go to music college during the day on a Sunday. (9 -4) I will be studying french, spanish, history and then either english lit and music..
Would you say the work had to go?
Reply 5
I worked about 12 hours a week while I was doing my A Levels during term time, and around 45 hours a week during holidays. Since I've been finished I've been doing around 53 hours
Reply 6
Me and most of my friends managed to. I just cut down my hours around my exams.
I did 12-15 hrs a week as a lifeguard, the occasional shift at a restaurant & went out with my mates at least 1ce a week. Got 5 A's at AS and hopefully, will have 4 A's at A Level.

Oh but I didn't work at all over the exam period.
Reply 8
i work part time at a tutorial centre (4 hours a week), along with 4 A-levels and i did fine :smile:
i did/am doing it okay. i worked 10-16 hours a week, went out two nights a week, had a boyfriend for half the year, and i've done okay :smile:
i'm working 37+++ hours a week over summer and going out loads, which is slowly killing me! i'm gonna have to cut down on the nights out and manage my time better because i'd planned to get ahead in maths and further maths this summer ):

when it comes to june exams of A2, i'll probably leave whatever job i have about a month before exams start and get a new one come summer. i want to concentrate really hard as i actually worked 16-24 hours a week travelling an hour to leicester for it just before and during the first of exams this year. that was really stupid.
Reply 10
balloon_parade
I worked at least 20 hours a week sometimes up to 30 hours with my A-levels. And also went out at least once a week.

Major respect for that.

I work 11 hours a week, and sometimes do overtime as well. I'm learning to drive and usually go round a mates house or something at least once a week and I can cope with A-levels as well.

I hate it how some people don't have part-time jobs, it's just a pet hate of mine.
It infuriates me that I spend the WHOLE of my Saturday stacking shelves whilst others sit at home being lazy and don't even do well in school either. The fact that I have to pay for all of my driving lessons, whilst others just use the bank of mum and dad annoys me as well :woo:
Reply 11
I haven't got a job because I'm a lazy sod :]
I probably could have coped with one in year 12 and still done well, but now I actually want a job so I can pay for driving lessons I'm going to be too busy. Damn and blast 4 A2s!
Reply 12
I think only a very small percentage of people spend a lot of time doing work for A levels. I did 25 hours when I was doing A levels, and had time to do my work. I wouldn't have done more work for college if I hadn't been at work or anything. Unless you're one of those people who revise all the time, you're not going to miss the time you spend at work.
Reply 13
I know somebody who got 5As at AS last year whilst working 15 hours a week at her local Starbucks Coffee Shop in St Albans, so it's certainly do-able if you make sure that you keep on top of your work as soon as your courses begin.:yes:
UltimateJ
Major respect for that.

I work 11 hours a week, and sometimes do overtime as well. I'm learning to drive and usually go round a mates house or something at least once a week and I can cope with A-levels as well.

I hate it how some people don't have part-time jobs, it's just a pet hate of mine.
It infuriates me that I spend the WHOLE of my Saturday stacking shelves whilst others sit at home being lazy and don't even do well in school either. The fact that I have to pay for all of my driving lessons, whilst others just use the bank of mum and dad annoys me as well :woo:

I've paid my own way since I was 16! I can't stand it when people don't know the value of money because they've never had to earn it! I had great shifts too I worked evenings so I didn't have to do ALL day Sat/Sun!
balloon_parade
I've paid my own way since I was 16! I can't stand it when people don't know the value of money because they've never had to earn it! I had great shifts too I worked evenings so I didn't have to do ALL day Sat/Sun!

Would you advise working evenings over weekends in terms of doing school work?
i worked about 20+ a week and still am predicted good grades in my alevels, I did pretty demanding subjects too, geology, psych and eng lit. On top of that i did random evening courses at different colls and voluntary work on the side. You just have to prioritize! :wink:
annab1684
Would you advise working evenings over weekends in terms of doing school work?

It depends really. I went to a college instead of a sixth-form so I only had to be there when I had classes. I'd always end up with huge gaps in my timetable so would just do my work then. So I actually didn't end up doing that much work at home except revision.

I think you have to find out what works for you.

Latest