Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

English grammar and vocabulary: quick questions thread

Announcements Posted on
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haushinka13)
    x
    As the verbs seems to be interchangeable, I would use the verb 'to try' in case of doubt. Is this advisable for you?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    As the verbs seems to be interchangeable, I would use the verb 'to try' in case of doubt. Is this advisable for you?
    I do think that 'attempt' is more formal, but 'try' fits into most contexts, so yes, I think that sounds fine.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haushinka13)
    I do think that 'attempt' is more formal, but 'try' fits into most contexts, so yes, I think that sounds fine.
    Fine! And what about the verb to spare? its the archaic verb of to save, but I wonder whether there are cases in English in which this archaic verb is used.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does a comma splice only occur while joining two independent clauses?

Like this:

1)I went to the shops, I got myself a new bag.

Can a comma splice still occur in a sentence with three or more clauses, like
    this?

2) Many businesses will require new and improved equipment, to enable that every task is carried out finer, considering this will only be an advantage to the businesses' overall performance.

3) Although many people prefer smoking, some people disagree with smoking as it's a huge, life-threatening risk, avoiding cigarettes may be beneficial for many.

This is how I would use a comma with three clauses in one sentence . Let me know if there is an error of my comma usage.

When I have three or more linked thoughts in a sentence I do get confused while using a comma, and whether I have to put a coordinating conjunction and comma after every though that comes to mind.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey English speakers, what is the more proper word in English? 'free time' or 'leisure time', or to precise: what is more common?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Some one please check out my thread...stressing :/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joeyy113)
    Some one please check out my thread...stressing :/
    What thread? I can't find anything
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is the phrase 'eat death nazi' use of figurative language?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Would 'Elected as xyz, from a club with 10,000 members' be grammatically correct? I'm not exactly sure on how to describe the total amount of people in the club. Another way I was considering writing it was 'within a club of 10,000 members'. Again, not too sure on the grammar. Any help would be appreciated!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, could you please check out my thread.. I really need help. It is my English Narrative I would love any of you to help me grade it and give me further advice pls!!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just panicking a bit but would I be right in saying that both cat and dog are subjects in the following sentence:

The cat and dog were in the kitchen.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zakkaz)
    Just panicking a bit but would I be right in saying that both cat and dog are subjects in the following sentence:

The cat and dog were in the kitchen.
    Both the cat and dog are being discussed and have been joined through 'and' therefore you are correct, they are both subjects
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swiftylol)
    Would 'Elected as xyz, from a club with 10,000 members' be grammatically correct? I'm not exactly sure on how to describe the total amount of people in the club. Another way I was considering writing it was 'within a club of 10,000 members'. Again, not too sure on the grammar. Any help would be appreciated!
    The first and second could both work although changing 'with' to 'of' seems to flow better for me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Excuse Me!)
    Is the phrase 'eat death nazi' use of figurative language?
    I think so, considering they're not literally eating or consuming death lol

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 2, 2014
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.