The Student Room Group

English grammar and vocabulary: quick questions thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
i think a comma would be more appropriate in this situation tbh.
Reply 101
I'm an English teacher. It wouldn't be the worst misplacement of a semi-colon I'd ever seen, but a comma would work better.
It should be a comma, not a semi-colon. A semi-colon (in this use) joins up two independent clauses. So if you were to replace the semi-colon by a period and make it two separate sentences, it should be correct.

A secret place in which they can probe and question the validity of the regime under which they live.

That would not be a good sentence (although, since it has a verb in it, I don't know if it's actually incorrect grammar).

If you want to use a semi-colon, something like this this would be better:

'The primary function of personal thought for Winston and Offred is the creation of a private world; it is a secret place in which they can probe and question the validity of the regime under which they live.'

Also, would you be able to use a colon there in your sentence? I think you would.
Reply 103
I wouldn't use a semicolon because a semicolon connects two independent clauses. As Muppety-Kid said, the second is not an independent clause [no main verb]. A comma would work much better here.
bon
I wouldn't use a semicolon because a semicolon connects two independent clauses. As Muppety-Kid said, the second is not an independent clause [no main verb]. A comma would work much better here.

Thanks - I knew there was something wrong, but couldn't put it into words! :p:
Just going through my notes for revision but having trouble with one thing. Antithesis. I know what it is; two opposing ideas, but can anyone give me an example of one? And then how I could comment on it as a lingustic technique? What effect it has? Cheers!
Reply 106
There are loooooads of websites giving examples of antithesis. Such as this one:
http://www.examples-help.org.uk/antithesis.htm

How you could then comment on its effect would depend on the example in question, as well as its context. You could also look for other linguistic techniques that emphasise the antithesis further, such as repetition/epizeuxis or alliteration or assonance.
Score :biggrin: +rep coming your way!
Reply 108
yay! thanks! :smile:
Does anyone know the consensus on capitalising the name of school years (i.e Year X or year X)?
Reply 110
Think it's usually capitalised (e.g. I am in Year 10), although in America I *think* it changes according to how you say it (you'd say you're in Grade 10, but in the 10th grade).
Reply 111
Angelil
Think it's usually capitalised (e.g. I am in Year 10), although in America I *think* it changes according to how you say it (you'd say you're in Grade 10, but in the 10th grade).

Yes, it's "10th grade" or "tenth grade" in America.
When would you use "toward" and "towards". I know this sounds simple but I just read this sentence in a book "... I thought toward the bump" I thought it should be towards? Or is this just an american difference?
Reply 113
Think that generally "toward" is more of an americanism (or should that be Americanism?! :/ ).
Ah cool, thanks! +rep!
Reply 115
woo, rep :biggrin:
Reply 116
Does this make sense?:

During act 1 scene 3 Iago’s antagonistic motives are exposed to the audience. Referring to Roderigo he says amid his soliloquy ‘Thus do I ever make my fool my purse’. The quote exposes his true motives regarding his co-operation with Roderigo.................

It's for my AS level essay, the bold word I'm a bit worried about, does anything else fit better? And can I word that better? Like, should put a full stop behind the quote?
Reply 117
If you needed any piece of punctuation behind the quotation ('quote' is the verb :p: ) then it would be a colon or comma - definitely NOT a full stop. You may also wish to add a comma after 'Roderigo'. That's the easiest question dealt with!

As for your other question, 'amid' makes sense but it possibly sounds a bit clunky. 'During' would be the most obvious word to use instead, but you could get away with keeping 'amid'. I'm an English teacher, but it's probably worth seeing what your own English teacher thinks as well.

Generally, though, what you've written sounds fine and makes sense.
Reply 118
TWF
Does this make sense?:

During Act 1 Scene 3 Iago’s antagonistic motives are exposed to the audience. Referring to Roderigo, he says amid his soliloquy, ‘Thus do I ever make my fool my purse’, which exposes his true motives regarding his co-operation with Roderigo.................
//
Reply 119
bon
//

Pfhew, saved me there. Final draft is in for tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending