The Student Room Group

Foundation Art and design help

Hello I am starting an art and design course in the fall although I have no art experience and can not draw I was accepted on the basis of my portfolio, however I was advised to take up a summer school drawing course of which I will be attending, although I still am quite worried I won't fit in since I have no drawing abilities, could a week of summer school drawing class help me? Plus I would like to know other people's experiences on this course was it really intense, did the tutors give a lot of input, what kind of work was done on a daily basis.

Many Thanks:smile:
Reply 1
What was in your portfolio? Surely there were some drawings in there? I don't really believe that you can't draw. You wouldn't be doing a Foundation otherwise :smile:

The best thing to do is practice. One week's course won't be the answer. (*edits* Although you will learn new things, but it's important you practice what you have been taught.) You need to be drawing all the time. Bring a little sketchbook aroudn with you in your bag, do quick sketches while you're out and about if you can.

Drawing is important (or so I was told) for any area you go in to. For future courses/interviews, the interviewers like to see drawings in your portfolio to see if you have the ability.

Don't worry about it too much, just keep practicing, even at home draw objects around you. Remember to draw what you see, try different styles and media, and you will definitely improve over time.
Reply 2
Just out of curiosity, where have you been accepted?
Reply 3
Dont worry too much, just enjoy it! Mine was quite relaxed, the first term they got to know you and your strengths and then advise you to work with that. if you cant draw there is always sculpture, digital art, video, photography, hell very few people just draw. I can draw but I hate it so i didn't do much of it. And if you want to learn how to do it they will cater for that and help as best they can.

Lostdoll is right though lots of practice, be a geek and take a sketchbook with you everywhere, my friends used to get really fed up with me keep stopping to sketch something or take photos of random crap but they get used to it and at the end of the day, if they don't support you then they don't really care about you and aren't worth it.
Reply 4
Thank you that has helped me feel a bit better about the situation.

Latest