The Student Room Group

Work Experience question

Well I've been asking around and it seems that I need the school to do some health/safety stuff before i can get work experience but it's the summer hols and school's closed. However, many of them did offer me the chance to just sit and watch the counter so my question is is it worth sitting there and just watching customers come in and out without being allowed in the back room?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
what is the job exactly
Reply 2
Definitely, there is no reason why that wouldn't be beneficial. You have years and eyes dont you watch and listen to what they are saying. You will pick up things really quickly, even without being behind the counter. I say you should go for it if thats what you really want to do.
Reply 3
ok thanks for the quick reply, I guess I'll go for it.
Reply 4
Stanley90
Well I've been asking around and it seems that I need the school to do some health/safety stuff before i can get work experience but it's the summer hols and school's closed. However, many of them did offer me the chance to just sit and watch the counter so my question is is it worth sitting there and just watching customers come in and out without being allowed in the back room?

I'd say so, yes. It allows you to observe the importance of customer interaction. You'll also get an idea of the drugs handed out regularly. Even if it doesn't offer the wealth of experience you were expecting, it's something to put down on the PS which is better than nothing. Plus, during breaks I'm sure you'll be allowed to talk with the pharmacists - and those tiny snatches of conversation always come in useful.

The school term might have ended, but often the office staff are around out of term-time. Any chance they could help? Or even give you the home phone number of your work experience co-ordinator etc?
Reply 5
emilyyy
I'd say so, yes. It allows you to observe the importance of customer interaction. You'll also get an idea of the drugs handed out regularly. Even if it doesn't offer the wealth of experience you were expecting, it's something to put down on the PS which is better than nothing. Plus, during breaks I'm sure you'll be allowed to talk with the pharmacists - and those tiny snatches of conversation always come in useful.

The school term might have ended, but often the office staff are around out of term-time. Any chance they could help? Or even give you the home phone number of your work experience co-ordinator etc?

Thanks for that, I guess I'll try phone the school but it'll probs be answer machined because it usually is during holidays.
Reply 6
The earlier you start your experience in what you want to do the better. It'll help you in the long run. Everyone starts off with the "making the tea" job but you'll progress and will eventually be on top. That was the case for me at my current job... I started there as work experience from school... got into the technical and worked my way up from making coffee for everyone to now running my own shows.
Stanley90
Thanks for that, I guess I'll try phone the school but it'll probs be answer machined because it usually is during holidays.

Try calling them, my Mum works at a school and she's at work right now lol. They have to sort out loads of stuff at the end of the year.

Also, did they just ask you to provide school contact details, if so, just give them and it's unlikely they'll be contacted (just did this with some hospital work experience). If they said you need the school to sort out insurance/whatever it is they need for it lol, then...Yeah, what I wrote won't be much help lol.
Reply 8
You have administrators working through the holidays, how do you expect them to read all their mail, they still have bills and things to be paid
Reply 9
Just phoned the school and the person in charge of work experience is on holiday so it looks like I should take the shadowing offer.
Reply 10
For my school the insurance and stuff was sorted out automatically, they just did it, so maybe thats happened?
Reply 11
epalmer
The earlier you start your experience in what you want to do the better. It'll help you in the long run. Everyone starts off with the "making the tea" job but you'll progress and will eventually be on top. That was the case for me at my current job... I started there as work experience from school... got into the technical and worked my way up from making coffee for everyone to now running my own shows.

Thing is this isn't even stacking or anything it's literally sitting there not touching anything and just watching customers come and go?
Reply 12
steffi.alexa
Also, did they just ask you to provide school contact details, if so, just give them and it's unlikely they'll be contacted (just did this with some hospital work experience). If they said you need the school to sort out insurance/whatever it is they need for it lol, then...Yeah, what I wrote won't be much help lol.

They definitely need to talk to the school because there's medicines and chemicals involved so they don't know if I'm a prescription junky or not and the school's references would probably help them confirm that I'm not :p:
Reply 13
Yes, but it will give her some insight into what she wants to do
Reply 14
KJ21
Yes, but it will give her some insight into what she wants to do

I'm a guy and I know that it will give me an insight so I will phone them back and see what happens.
Reply 15
Stanley90
Thing is this isn't even stacking or anything it's literally sitting there not touching anything and just watching customers come and go?

but they might ask you for help at some point. It may sound cruddy to sit and watch people come and go (hey you might even start your own game up :wink:) but surely they would get you to do some sort of work, even if it's admin.
Reply 16
Stanley90
I'm a guy and I know that it will give me an insight so I will phone them back and see what happens.

Sorry for my ignorance!
Reply 17
epalmer
but they might ask you for help at some point. It may sound cruddy to sit and watch people come and go (hey you might even start your own game up :wink:) but surely they would get you to do some sort of work, even if it's admin.

I hope so but come to think of it this is what I was originally looking for anyway as I didn't expect to get a work placement and I guess I could take the names of the drugs and find out about htem at home later or something. I just hope I get it, that's all :smile:
Reply 18
Stanley mate, there is no reason and no harm in asking questions. You may just learn by observing and asking questions.
Reply 19
I just phoned them to take them up on the shadowing offer and they said that I wouldn't be able to do it because of doctor-patient confidentiality. Well that's all well and good but why give me the offer in the first place then?? I asked what they normally get people to sign and she said a 'contract confidential thingy' so I asked if I could sign it and she said 'that's why we need your school' but I still don't get it.. I'm 17 nearly 18, surely if I do anything against the law they're not gonna sue the school but my parents?

Latest

Trending

Trending