Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Non-horizontal points of inflexion

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • followers

My textbook mentions non-horizontal points of inflexion but doesn't define them. Are they points
    when f''(x)=0 but f'(x) doesn't =0? Whereas horizontal points of inflexion have f'(x)=0, i.e. are
    stationary. Does anyone have an idea about what sort of question these would come up in during
    A2-level equivalent exams?

Thanks, AR
    • followers

In article <acdk07$71o$1@paris.btinternet.c om>, AR <h8@ih8spam.com> wrote:
    [q1]>My textbook mentions non-horizontal points of inflexion but doesn't define them. Are they points[/q1]
    [q1]>when f''(x)=0 but f'(x) doesn't =0? Whereas horizontal[/q1]

Almost. They are points where f'' changes sign. So f'' must vanish at a point of inflexion, but not
    all points where f'' vanishes have to be PI---for example, f(x)=x^4 has a local (and indeed global)
    minimum at x=0, even though f''(0)=0.

[q1]>points of inflexion have f'(x)=0, i.e. are stationary. Does anyone have an idea about what sort of[/q1]
    [q1]>question these would come up in during A2-level equivalent exams?[/q1]

Not sure: this sort of thing is required if you have to sketch graphs of functions. Whether that
    comes up in those exams is outside my ken.

--
    Rob. http://www.mis.coventry.ac.uk/~mtx014/
    • followers

Originally posted by Ar
    My textbook mentions non-horizontal points of inflexion but doesn't define them. Are they points
    when f''(x)=0 but f'(x) doesn't =0? Whereas horizontal points of inflexion have f'(x)=0, i.e. are
    stationary.

Thanks, AR
    Using <> for 'doesn't equal',

at horizontal (stationary) points of inflection, f'(x)=0 and f''(x)=0,

at non-horizontal (non-stationary) points of inflection, f'(x)<>0 and f''(x)<>0,

and there is a further condition that for a point of inflection (regardless of whether it is stationary or non-stationary), either f'''(x) or some even higher derivative of x must be nonzero.

Otherwise for example one would deduce a point of inflection at x=0 for y=x^6. This would be incorrect because in fact there is a minimum there. With this particular function the first derivative to be non-zero at x=0 is the sixth ).
    • followers

Originally posted by James P

Using <> for 'doesn't equal',

at horizontal (stationary) points of inflection, f'(x)=0 and f''(x)=0,

at non-horizontal (non-stationary) points of inflection, f'(x)<>0 and f''(x)<>0,

and there is a further condition that for a point of inflection (regardless of whether it is stationary or non-stationary), either f'''(x) or some even higher derivative of x must be nonzero.

Otherwise for example one would deduce a point of inflection at x=0 for y=x^6. This would be incorrect because in fact there is a minimum there. With this particular function the first derivative to be non-zero at x=0 is the sixth ).
    Whoops! For a point of inflection the 'further condition' is simply that f'''(x) must be nonzero.

James P
Updated: June 1, 2002
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.