Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Non-horizontal points of inflexion

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • followers

My textbook mentions non-horizontal points of inflexion but doesn't define them. Are they points
    when f''(x)=0 but f'(x) doesn't =0? Whereas horizontal points of inflexion have f'(x)=0, i.e. are
    stationary. Does anyone have an idea about what sort of question these would come up in during
    A2-level equivalent exams?

Thanks, AR
    • followers

In article <acdk07$71o$1@paris.btinternet.c om>, AR <h8@ih8spam.com> wrote:
    [q1]>My textbook mentions non-horizontal points of inflexion but doesn't define them. Are they points[/q1]
    [q1]>when f''(x)=0 but f'(x) doesn't =0? Whereas horizontal[/q1]

Almost. They are points where f'' changes sign. So f'' must vanish at a point of inflexion, but not
    all points where f'' vanishes have to be PI---for example, f(x)=x^4 has a local (and indeed global)
    minimum at x=0, even though f''(0)=0.

[q1]>points of inflexion have f'(x)=0, i.e. are stationary. Does anyone have an idea about what sort of[/q1]
    [q1]>question these would come up in during A2-level equivalent exams?[/q1]

Not sure: this sort of thing is required if you have to sketch graphs of functions. Whether that
    comes up in those exams is outside my ken.

--
    Rob. http://www.mis.coventry.ac.uk/~mtx014/
    • followers

Originally posted by Ar
    My textbook mentions non-horizontal points of inflexion but doesn't define them. Are they points
    when f''(x)=0 but f'(x) doesn't =0? Whereas horizontal points of inflexion have f'(x)=0, i.e. are
    stationary.

Thanks, AR
    Using <> for 'doesn't equal',

at horizontal (stationary) points of inflection, f'(x)=0 and f''(x)=0,

at non-horizontal (non-stationary) points of inflection, f'(x)<>0 and f''(x)<>0,

and there is a further condition that for a point of inflection (regardless of whether it is stationary or non-stationary), either f'''(x) or some even higher derivative of x must be nonzero.

Otherwise for example one would deduce a point of inflection at x=0 for y=x^6. This would be incorrect because in fact there is a minimum there. With this particular function the first derivative to be non-zero at x=0 is the sixth ).
    • followers

Originally posted by James P

Using <> for 'doesn't equal',

at horizontal (stationary) points of inflection, f'(x)=0 and f''(x)=0,

at non-horizontal (non-stationary) points of inflection, f'(x)<>0 and f''(x)<>0,

and there is a further condition that for a point of inflection (regardless of whether it is stationary or non-stationary), either f'''(x) or some even higher derivative of x must be nonzero.

Otherwise for example one would deduce a point of inflection at x=0 for y=x^6. This would be incorrect because in fact there is a minimum there. With this particular function the first derivative to be non-zero at x=0 is the sixth ).
    Whoops! For a point of inflection the 'further condition' is simply that f'''(x) must be nonzero.

James P
Updated: June 1, 2002
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.