The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ronaldo VII
He can't if he thought it was onside :p:

Let poor old Malcy have his moment:p:
Reply 1101
Throwback
Bitter? What do I have to be bitter about when it comes to a Liverpool side playing like that lol? Don't you think that was very poor from your team? You said yourself you was lucky, I've just gone further and said that that luck won't last you throughout the next 36 league games :smile:

Exactly. You're Premier League & European Champions and you're still bitter. Takes some doing.
Reply 1102
Laevis

Lucky ****ing escape. We've been crap against Standard x2, Sunderland and Boro, yet somehow we're through to the Champions League proper and have a 100% record in the league, which is the most important thing I guess. Need to sort this out quick though :/

Aye. Talk about a 'get out of jail free' card. We need to really pull our socks up now and push forward.

But anyway... well done Babel & Kuyt :biggrin: Well done Reds. Lmao @ Liege's gaffer gettin flustered at Rafa :laugh:

Oh and.... penalty - no doubt.
Reply 1103
Van der Zak
Let poor old Malcy have his moment:p:

From my angle? There's no doubt it was offside. Dodgey bastards.
_MaLc_

We're you sitting one seat behind Benitez? :p:
Reply 1105
_MaLc_
Not so sure. How many times did he save our ass in last year's CL? :smile:

A few times. How many times have you groaned when Kuyt has done something rubbish? He didnt have a single good moment in the game, until he knees the ball into the net with 3 minutes to go...
Reply 1106
Van der Zak
He is a different player for you guys in Europe IMO, don't see that performance in the league I am afraid. In order for him to go to the next level he needs to perform consistently week in and week out.

To be honest, I really don't think there is a 'next level' for Kuyt. He gives 100% every game and the reason he scored to do was because of his admirable determination, work rate and stamina to keep going right til end. But, I don't think he's dangerous enough to play on the wings over the course of a season because his technical and physical abilities are limited. I like him a hell of a lot but I just don't think he can bring enough to the table, unfortunately :frown:
Laevis
Exactly. You're Premier League & European Champions and you're still bitter. Takes some doing.

Bitter - "Difficult or distasteful to accept, admit, or bear: the bitter truth; bitter sorrow."

What am I finding difficult to bear or accept about your team? The fact that you look even worse than last season? I was laughing through most of tonights match to be honest :biggrin:
Reply 1108
_MaLc_

:jester: Nah, there was 2. The second was blatantly offside but the first was narrowly on. I don't think it mattered because Super Sweeper Keeper Reina looks like he would have got there anyway, but it's all academic now.
Reply 1109
_MaLc_
That was certainly offside in my opinion :smile: Either way, the lack of penalty for El Zhar makes up for any mistakes.

Dirk Kuyt - the most reliable striker in Europe? :p:

Nah, we definitely got away with an offside in the game.
El Zhar should have had a penalty aswell, pretty blatent.

Throwback
Bitter? What do I have to be bitter about when it comes to a Liverpool side playing like that lol? Don't you think that was very poor from your team? You said yourself you was lucky, I've just gone further and said that that luck won't last you throughout the next 36 league games :smile:

You seem to be protesting against your bitterness a bit too much :wink:

All I can say is phew, what a lucky escape. Hopefully this close call is the kick up the arse the players need now. It's pretty disheartening when you can't really see where a winner is gonna come from besides the obvious players, it just shows how far away our squad is from really challenging. Yes we have a backbone to the team that other's would kill for, but we don't have a championship winning squad. And as long as Rafa is having to sell off players to bring new ones in with no proper backing, then I'm afraid I can't see it changing much.
Reply 1110
chooka
A few times. How many times have you groaned when Kuyt has done something rubbish? He didnt have a single good moment in the game, until he knees the ball into the net with 3 minutes to go...

A lot. But he comes up with the goods in big games.
Away trip to Aston Villa isn't exactly what you'd want after a 120 minute battle, either.
That was ****ing horrbile. What a **** performance. Everyone, bar Reina was, terrible. Kuyt was joint worst player alongside Torres (although he had atrocious service). Babel looked ok, at least he tried to comit the full back - probably our best hope for width right now.
Reply 1113
Laevis
:jester: Nah, there was 2. The second was blatantly offside but the first was narrowly on. I don't think it mattered because Super Sweeper Keeper Reina looks like he would have got there anyway, but it's all academic now.

:laugh: :biggrin:

Does it comfort anyone else that we're playing incredible awful football and winning? Imagine what we could do if we were playing to Everton's standard? The league I tell you :yes: Play to our potential and we'll get DIC's interest again :wink:
Laevis
He had a forgettable time at Man City, sure, but that was 2 years ago now. He was apparently one of Espanyol's key players last season and he did well for Spain getting them qualified for Euro 2008 (although he never made it into the squad for the Summer). Genuine left foot, bit of pace, lot of flair, and likes to stay on the touchline, so it'll make a refreshing change to what we have in that position already and make us less predictable.

He could be amazing, he could be rubbish, but let's not write the lad off before he's even played a game yet :/

He won't be amazing. He'll be good at best, probably just average. Only plus point is that he left footed and if he hogs that touchline, will at least stretch the team out a bit, leaving it less congested in the middle. Maybe should try and blood Babel down the right too, for a more balanced team.
Reply 1116
idiopathic
He won't be amazing

They said the same thing about Torres. Too lightweight, too pretty, will never make it in this league etc. etc.

Just give the lad a chance, is all I'm saying.
Reply 1117
Either way, I've never really seen him play, but I'd happily take him over Milner who's being linked :smile:
I think once we see Masch come back into the side for Saturday, we'll look quite different. The back 4 have had the luxury of has a top class DM protect them and without him there now we look more vulnerable.
We looked better when Babel/El Zhar came on, I really do think Rafa has to go with Kuyt/Benayoun + El Zhar/Babel.
If you put Kuyt and Benayoun, its too slow, not enough beating the man and not enough skill.
If you put Babel and El Zhar, you know your going to lose the ball a lot, we wont be so compact either and have less possession.
So I think having one from each pair means you get a balance overall.

So we've done 83rd, 94th and 118th minute winners.. I dont think we can leave them any later for the next gap..?
I
Reply 1119
Couldn't believe how deep Gerrard was at times, where he just shouldn't be.

Latest