The Student Room Group

Sports Direct

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Is it really as bad as you people are saying?

I applied online a few days ago and got an email back today labelled 're: speculative application.' lol. No idea what to make of that.

Anyway, got invited to a 'recruitment day.'

Pros:
- it's a job

Cons:
- it takes me an hour to get there
- people seem to hate it?
- I have no work experience at all and any good would probably be good work

I feel I need to go along to it but with what people are saying, it's not a job I want to take!
Reply 21
sv90

Cons:
- it takes me an hour to get there

I don't personally work the but I have a lot of friends that do/ have. Its an ok job to take whether you're sure or not because your not tied into a contract. BUT from what my friends tell me its not the type of thing you would travel an hour to get to!
Reply 22
I just had an interview there. It went well, she just read my CV and asked me questions. As under my interests and hobbies I'd written football, tennis, pool, snooker, table tennis etc and she picked pool and snooker and said if someone came in and wanted to buy and cue what advice would you give them and she asked the same question about rackets. Then she said tell me abit about yourself. Then she just informally asked me about my university plans and what a levels I was doing etc

The pay isn't great: £3.50! and I'm 17.

I know a few people who work there and they've all said they don't like it and loads of people are leaving. However I'm 17 and never had a job before and am not having any luck with other stores due to my lack of experience. So hopefully this will build my experience and there'll be something to put on my CV!
Reply 23
Wow, you like a lot of sports. :biggrin: Do you have detailed knowledge of all of them? I've got football on my CV atm (I'm pretty obsessed with it) but I watch pretty much every sport under the sun casually (but without a lot of knowledge). I ask because I wonder if it should be put on my CV if they may ask about it.

Ah, you're not tied to a contract? Excellent. :smile:
Reply 24
sv90
Wow, you like a lot of sports. :biggrin: Do you have detailed knowledge of all of them? I've got football on my CV atm (I'm pretty obsessed with it) but I watch pretty much every sport under the sun casually (but without a lot of knowledge). I ask because I wonder if it should be put on my CV if they may ask about it.

Ah, you're not tied to a contract? Excellent. :smile:

I don't think you need much knowledge. According to friends who work there most of the people working there are chavs.
Reply 25
that's not good. :frown:

meh, I'll go along anyway. See if I can get the job first before making a decision. Did they offer you the job on the spot?
Reply 26
sv90
that's not good. :frown:

meh, I'll go along anyway. See if I can get the job first before making a decision. Did they offer you the job on the spot?

They said if I get the job I will recieve an email within two days.

The way i'm looking at it, i'm 17 and haven't had a job before and keep getting turned down from other stores such as Comet, Currys etc due to lack of experience. If I stick this job out for a few months atleast it will give me something other than my Year 11 work experience to put on my CV.
At the end of the day, a job is a job, and a job = money and experience for CV
Reply 28
Rizzletastic
At the end of the day, a job is a job, and a job = money and experience for CV

Exactly! I got offered my job on the spot and with regards to the staff, everyone at my store is pretty cool with the odd exception.
Jemma1389
Exactly! I got offered my job on the spot and with regards to the staff, everyone at my store is pretty cool with the odd exception.

oh yeah, the only problems with people working there tended to be with higher up people such as the manager
is there a website to apply?
princesscutexx
is there a website to apply?

sports direct.com has a recruitment bit, but the best way to go about it is to check out your local store
Reply 32
Didnt get the job. I went in and said I am here for the interview day and they said 'What interviews?' Then the manager came around gave me a dodgey look and then said come through. Then their was this person that worked in there that when I walked in he looked at the manager woman and laughed. I was like 'okay'?! :s-smilie:

So, I didnt really want the job after that. And luckily I didnt! :smile:

I have now applied for a Xmas temp at argos!

Cheers
Reply 33
I got told I had a job there after my interview on Friday, it is now Thursday and I was expecting an email for my bank details from them then they would phone me but I still haven't got it. I phoned yesterday and the woman said that it is head office who deals with it so I should wait a while longer. What should I do?
Ive changed my mind don't work at sports direct. Ever.
Rizzletastic
Ive changed my mind don't work at sports direct. Ever.

why,lol
Reply 36
I've got an interview with Sports Direct tomorrow for the casual staff position.

It's a brand new store as it's moving into an ex Woolies so we'll be launching it (if I got the job).

You lot make it sound like a right laugh, mind you I've worked for some crap organisations so their lack of professionalism doesn't really bother me. N I already have a current job in Manchester anyway and a pretty much guaranteed job (at home) over the summer anyway, but I just want something to fill some days and gain some retail experience as my work history over the last 3 years has all been 'bar / club' related.

:woo:

Just to add they say they'll pay me £6.24 p/h with a 15% discount but I doubt I'll use that.
TW-04
I've got an interview with Sports Direct tomorrow for the casual staff position.

It's a brand new store as it's moving into an ex Woolies so we'll be launching it (if I got the job).

You lot make it sound like a right laugh, mind you I've worked for some crap organisations so their lack of professionalism doesn't really bother me. N I already have a current job in Manchester anyway and a pretty much guaranteed job (at home) over the summer anyway, but I just want something to fill some days and gain some retail experience as my work history over the last 3 years has all been 'bar / club' related.

:woo:

Just to add they say they'll pay me £6.24 p/h with a 15% discount but I doubt I'll use that.

Did you apply online?
I didn't even get a reply after applying online
Reply 38
Yeah, I applied online and they replied 20 minutes later. They were holding an open day anyway though but the interview / casual chat in a group of 3 seemed to go well and she put my cv to the front of our small group but that's probably just coincidence.

Since I arrived quite late in the afternoon they'd already handed out all the application forms but she said it wasn't a problem and due to the large turn out instead of making a decision there and then like normal, they'd let us know by Friday over email / phone.
Reply 39
I don't think you get a reply if you apply online unless they need people at that time but when they do you'll probably get an email. I've been working in sports world while at uni for four months now and I don't mind it all but it'll obviously depend on what you have to do and who you work with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending