The Student Room Group

Worth going abroad for cosmetic surgery?

Hi all,

firstly the whole anti-cosmetic surgery comments are not needed, nor not helpful.

ever since a youngster I've wanted otoplasty, which is basically pinning back my ears.

In the UK it is touching 3,000; however, I have been told by a reputable clinic in Poland that they can do it for around 600 quid not including flights and what not, which is only around 30 quid anyway!

Is it worth it?
Reply 1
I'd definitely go abroad for plastic surgery in your place. I live in Hungary and it's a LOT cheaper here to have anything done. You either choose a state hospital or a private one - in public hospitals it's not as much luxury but half the price for the surgery. At a private clinic here otoplasty would definitely not cost more than 500 pounds. It'd be worth for you too look around in Eastern Europe for plastic surgery clinics, you could get away with paying like 1/5 for what you would pay in the UK :smile:
(I had reconstructive plastic surgery recently and really looked around the market and researched internationally...)

Hope you can have your surgery and be happier about yourself! :smile:
Reply 2
I would not go abroad.

For one, you shouldn't fly so soon after surgery. For two, if you have any problems, what are you going to do - fly back to Poland?

It's not practical. How long would you be staying in Poland for? You have to have your stitches taken out a week after an otoplasty, and GP surgeries tend to be a bit arsey about doing your stitches for you - besides, you'd need a follow-up appointment.
abc101
It's not practical. How long would you be staying in Poland for? You have to have your stitches taken out a week after an otoplasty, and GP surgeries tend to be a bit arsey about doing your stitches for you - besides, you'd need a follow-up appointment.

I think some clinics that operate from the UK have places you can go here for follow up appointments, if I remember correctly from when I was looking into liposuction...

I wouldn't want to go abroad, personally. Would it be a local or general anaesthic? I just can't imagine wanting to fly for a week or so after a general, and you'd have to pay accomodation, food etc...
Reply 4
Well, if you fly back to Poland twice and pay for a hotel you still end up spending half of the UK price.
And I'm sure you can find a doctor in the UK who takes out your stitches - if you don't worst case you can do it yourself or ask someone, it's nothing difficult (done it already:p: )

General anesthesia gets you down only for a day until the chemicals are expelled from your system. I had a much more serious op than otoplasty and was walking around the next day, and drove home 300 kms on the third.
Reply 5
You could always talk to your doc about any problems that may occur if you fly soon after an otoplasty. If that's all gravy, then go for it.
Reply 6
Wouldn't flying really **** up your ears?
Solya
General anesthesia gets you down only for a day until the chemicals are expelled from your system. I had a much more serious op than otoplasty and was walking around the next day, and drove home 300 kms on the third.

I was pretty much knocked out for about three days, and didn't feel much like doing anything for the week after...Not saying don't do it, but it's something to consider if the OP has never had it before.
Reply 8
jointhedots
I was pretty much knocked out for about three days, and didn't feel much like doing anything for the week after...Not saying don't do it, but it's something to consider if the OP has never had it before.

Well, we're all different... also depends on how long the surgery takes... I was under for 5 hours. Otoplasty can't last longer than 45 minutes, imo, so not that much anesthesia. Some clinics do it under local anesthesia too. I think OP would need to consult an anesthetist about that anyway. :smile:
Reply 9
I thought you could get your ears pinned back on the nhs? my friend had ot done when she was about 8 or 9.
Reply 10
Solya
Well, if you fly back to Poland twice and pay for a hotel you still end up spending half of the UK price.
And I'm sure you can find a doctor in the UK who takes out your stitches - if you don't worst case you can do it yourself or ask someone, it's nothing difficult (done it already:p: )

Bit difficult to remove stitches from behind your own ears! :p:

Otoplasty is only a minor procedure, but do be aware you'll feel like crap afterwards. My ears were agony for a couple of days, far worse than I anticipated, and for a week I couldn't go out at all. You'd probably rather be at home during that period than in a foreign country. Also, a lot of these places don't even put you up in a hospital - only a hotel. OK, for otoplasty that's ok as it's only a day case, but if you were having it done in the UK you could go home that day (and have someone look after you!) - which you won't be able to do.
Would Hungry and Poland be the cheapest places to travel to? does anyone esle know where somewehere cpins ears back cheaply but not risky ?
AshJames
Hi all,

firstly the whole anti-cosmetic surgery comments are not needed, nor not helpful.

ever since a youngster I've wanted otoplasty, which is basically pinning back my ears.

In the UK it is touching 3,000; however, I have been told by a reputable clinic in Poland that they can do it for around 600 quid not including flights and what not, which is only around 30 quid anyway!

Is it worth it?

No, no, no.

If anything goes wrong you are taking a huge risk with your health. Your health is priceless, no amount of money saving would be worth it.

How do you know whether...

The health establishment abroad regulated to the same standard as that in the UK?

They have ITU and emergency facilities? If anything went wrong under GA and you were in a place which lacked such facilities/staffing, you would be screwed.

Have you tried speaking to your GP about getting it done on the NHS? If it is causing you psychological health problems there may be a possibility to have it done on the NHS.

It might perhaps be a little different if you lived in the country (and spoke the language)
Solya

I'm pretty sure patients are advised NOT to do this. I don't know of many (or even any) patients that DRIVE so soon after a GA. It is a risk to other people, let alone the patient! I don't yet know the details of GAs, but I would imagine there are other effects that need monitoring/rest.

There is more to post op care than just removing stitches.

OP what happens if something goes wrong (and you're conscious)? Will you be able to fly back to Poland at short notice? Who will pay for such costs?
Reply 14
Hello can you recommend a good plastic surgeon in Hungary. Either Budapest or Szeged. Thank you
Original post by Solya
I'd definitely go abroad for plastic surgery in your place. I live in Hungary and it's a LOT cheaper here to have anything done. You either choose a state hospital or a private one - in public hospitals it's not as much luxury but half the price for the surgery. At a private clinic here otoplasty would definitely not cost more than 500 pounds. It'd be worth for you too look around in Eastern Europe for plastic surgery clinics, you could get away with paying like 1/5 for what you would pay in the UK :smile:
(I had reconstructive plastic surgery recently and really looked around the market and researched internationally...)

Hope you can have your surgery and be happier about yourself! :smile:
If i were you i would go abroad. I had them done in Prague and i do not regret. The price in UK was high and comparing the price at Forme clinic plus the flight was still less then home. This surgery did not need even hospitalization so you can go home same day, but i wanted to relax little so i booked some cheap hotel and flew back next day. And i was also happy with the clinic care. So just make sure you will find good surgeon,

Latest