Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Machine says I'm 25% body fat

Announcements Posted on

I'm 17 and male, and I used one of those electronic Height, Weight, BMI, Body Fat machines and I'm very suprised at the reading. I wore shoes (converse type shoes so they're quite flat), and a hoodie, so that make mess it up a little. Anyway, it said I was 8 stone 10 pounds, or 120 pounds, and 5'7, so I had a BMI of 19.2. Then it said place your hands on handles to calculate body fat, so I did, and it came up as I was 25% body fat, which, is technically nearing obease.

I don't think I have much body fat, and I'm suprised at the reading, would wearing a hoodie have messed it up? I just can't see how I'm 25% body fat, I look pretty thin, the only thing I would say is I don't have much muscle, but my stomach or arms don't look flabby or anything. Would wearing a hoodie have made any difference?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Get a proper test ffs!

Or post a pic.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't sound right. Your BMI is pretty normal; if it's anything it's on the low side of normal (but still fine). I don't think there's any cause for concern.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm about 5% fat! Give me your flab
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations you are the same percentage fat as a crisp. (I think the test may be wrong)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sussexy)
    Get a proper test ffs!

Or post a pic.
    Because a pic would help us determine his body fat percentage?

Fool.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz)

Fool.
    If he was naked enough, we could tell if he had anything to be concerned about.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That is almost definatly wrong. I am 5'6.5 and am 9 stone exactly, so a bit heavier than you. When I last did one of these things (admittedly I was a BIT slimmer than now, but not much), I came out with 11% body fat. I can't see how anyone that is 5'7 and 120 pounds could be nearing obese. I'd try another machine.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The BF thing is flawed, according to it i've got 50-something % bodyfat, which makes me seriously obese. (I'm 12 stone and 6' 1")

However the BMI calculator says i'm underweight.

They shouldn't be taken seriously.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Post a picture or somthing, but yeah they are known to be innacurate
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm 17 and male, and I used one of those electronic Height, Weight, BMI, Body Fat machines and I'm very suprised at the reading. I wore shoes (converse type shoes so they're quite flat), and a hoodie, so that make mess it up a little. Anyway, it said I was 8 stone 10 pounds, or 120 pounds, and 5'7, so I had a BMI of 19.2. Then it said place your hands on handles to calculate body fat, so I did, and it came up as I was 25% body fat, which, is technically nearing obease.

I don't think I have much body fat, and I'm suprised at the reading, would wearing a hoodie have messed it up? I just can't see how I'm 25% body fat, I look pretty thin, the only thing I would say is I don't have much muscle, but my stomach or arms don't look flabby or anything. Would wearing a hoodie have made any difference?
    That machine must be way off, unless you completely lack muscle and organs and have adipose tissue in their place.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think the test is wrong too lol, just get another one...on a different machine
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

25% is average
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Those machines are useless, they are so inaccurate.
    • 14 followers

the calculation of body fat is based on what it can detect in your finders nad palm of you hand, to get an accurate reading you'd need to go into one of those saline tanks where it measures your buoyancy, there is another machine i've been in at great ormond street which is weird, you get inside this capsule and jets of air measure your body fat percentage. you need a proper test, these machines are not 100 accurate, infact they are quite often a way way out from where they should be!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    im 11 stone, 6ft 1 and 7% body fat
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    lol!! 25%, I think it's wrong get a proper one or post a pic.

I've never tried those machines before but I got a proper one done several times and I came out around the 4% mark. Weigh bit over 10 1/2 stone now and 5'11.

There's no way your 25%...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz)

Fool.

yeah you could pretty easily guess his body fat with a topless picture. Definatly more accurate than the electrical bf machine anyway.

Yeah anyway 25% is average-above average, no difficulty believing that. Get a pair of calipers for an accurate reading
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If you are worried, get a more accurate test from your GP.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Erm, hello, 25% is quite good actually. My body fat percentage is 29 and that is in the good category.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 1, 2008
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.