Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where can you change money for free?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ? Is it in the bank? Or the post office? Or does it depend on the bank?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Post office do it for free for sure
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nowhere to my knowledge, they all charge a percentage (even the post office). They may not charge "fees" to change the money, but the sell rate will be different to the buy rate, so you won't get it "free". Nationwide to free withdrawals though (yes totally free)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Almost all places do it "no commission"; but they'll screw you with unfavourable exchange rates, that's for sure. Shop around to find the most attractive rates.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shenzys)
    ? Is it in the bank? Or the post office? Or does it depend on the bank?
    Try the black market you should get a good rate:rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you're going abroad relatively often, or even if not, get a Nationwide current account. It charges nothing for withdrawing from foreign ATMs and gives a better rate than the Post Office or Travelex.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My bank lets me change money for free. It's some under 27 year olds thing or whatever.

However, most places you go to will not give you the official exchange rate, thus meaning you are losing some of your money in the exchange, even if there isn't an explicit "fee" for changing money.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There's www.travelex.co.uk who exchange online with "no commission". Tbh though you're better off exchanging a small amount at an average rate, and then using a bank card abroad to pay for purchases at the till. HSBC gave me pretty good rates when I was in the US last month. If you're withdrawing money from an ATM, you will nearly always get charged though (unless you are with Nationwide).

Forgot to mention: Call your bank and tell them which cards you will be taking abroad, and your holiday dates, so they don't block them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you buy online, your credit/debit card company will charge you a fee (except Nationwide I think).The best rate I found back in Mid-July on the high street was Co-op Travel with M +S a close second, although in West London you can get 1.25 euro for a pound, I could only get 1.21.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    HSBC do not charge a fee when buying foreign exchange from an external website. Nor should any of the other banks?

Are you confused with charges abroad for using an ATM? Nationwide do not charge, others will.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by her0n)
    HSBC do not charge a fee when buying foreign exchange from an external website. Nor should any of the other banks?

Are you confused with charges abroad for using an ATM? Nationwide do not charge, others will.
    http://www.travelex.co.uk/uk/personal/terms.aspx

Credit/Debit cards may be subject to a cash advance fee made by the card issuer. We have no control over and are not liable for such charges.

Which can be up to 4% of the money being exchanged!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, I can confirm then that HSBC did not charge me when buying online from Travelex by card.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 1, 2008
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.