The Student Room Group

Social Work Degree - Timetable (guide)

Hi,

I'm currently in clearing but hoping to study Social Work this year at Plymouth University.

I am also looking to work around my University commitments at the same time, as I need to earn funds for a trip to South Africa (I've spent the last 6 months working in a childrens home and school and want to go back at Christmas and next Summer)

What I really need to know is the amount of hours a day I will be expected to be in lectures, seminars, discussions etc...

I had an idea in my head that there would be quite a bit of 'independent study' associated with the degree so I would be able to fit in a flexible day time job as well.

Can anyone help me out at all?
Right when I was applying to do Social Work - I was told that the course is basically 9 - 5, however this was a year ago I was told. In the words of the course leader: ''if you think that this course is a doss like the majority of courses, then think again - its a 9-5 degree''. Im not a lazy person but that put me off straight away and I dropped my applications shortly after for Social Work (other factors also contributed to why I dropped the Social Work idea) and now im onto a degree that I thoroughly enjoy.

I have a friend who is doing the Social Work degree and she said the work load is bonkers - but she does enjoy it.

Why dont you just ask the department and see what they say? Im only quoting what I know from University of Gloucestershire.
I've been told that in my first year at Brookes I'll only be doing 2 days a week, with the rest of the week to use as 'independent study'. But obviously this may differ from uni to uni.

Probably best getting in touch with Plymouth.
Reply 3
Well, i've tried and they haven't got back to me, plus as I'm not on the course it's a bit more difficult - no one seems to want to communicate till clearing is officially opened!!

I've just heard a lot of conflicting ideas - ones of having more actual lectures than most other degrees and others of only having minimal lectures throughout the week...

Would just be good to hear from people who have done the degree, or those who are doing it at Plymouth!
Reply 4
I didn't think Social Work went into Clearing, especially at Plymouth as they interview in early January
Gemz87
I didn't think Social Work went into Clearing, especially at Plymouth as they interview in early January

Was just about the say that - yea Social Work for a lot of Uni's don't go into Clearing due to interviews/CRBS and etc.

So you would have to re apply again in the new UCAS application year . . . .
Reply 6
Also Plymouth interview six students or more per space. A colleague of mine applied last year. OP - did someone tell you they'd be in Clearing or are you hoping?
Reply 7
Oh dear!!!

Yep I was just hoping.....well I think i'm a bit screwed then!!
Reply 8
Are you an A2 student at the moment? I'd apply in October and have a year's volunteering - they much prefer students with experience.

Are you looking at adult social work or children?
Reply 9
Gemz87
Are you an A2 student at the moment? I'd apply in October and have a year's volunteering - they much prefer students with experience.

Are you looking at adult social work or children?

No, i'm 20 years old, got my A Levels 2 years ago (A's in English Lit and Media, C in Drama) and since then have had 15 months in South Africa working in a school for children with emotional, behavioural and social difficulties (taken off their families by social workers) and as a daily volunteer in a childrens home (run by a social worker) for street kids...I also helped out as live in care-worker when necessary covering for the regular ones on weekends off etc.

So I do have quite a bit of experience in the area.
We had about four hours Monday-Thursday in the first year before we went on placement.
I think the undergraduates did three days a week in their first year, but I'm not sure how many hours each day.
harryd2006
No, i'm 20 years old, got my A Levels 2 years ago (A's in English Lit and Media, C in Drama) and since then have had 15 months in South Africa working in a school for children with emotional, behavioural and social difficulties (taken off their families by social workers) and as a daily volunteer in a childrens home (run by a social worker) for street kids...I also helped out as live in care-worker when necessary covering for the regular ones on weekends off etc.

So I do have quite a bit of experience in the area.

What you have all sounds great (the work experience), however you haven't got anything academically (in regards to social work) which is what a lot of the Uni's looked at when I was applying.

Things may have changed, but just thought I would warn you that some places do look at your academic side of things which they want to be relevant, ie health and social care. When i applied a lot of places said I had fantastic work experience and my A levels were brilliant, however I was lacking health and social care academic knowledge, therefore was advised to do an OU course.

I know your not interested in hearing from people who haven't done the degree or who aren't at Plymouth, but im just trying to give you abit of help/advice which I got when I was applying and I hope you don't mind me doing so. :smile:
Reply 12
During BA1 at Birmingham I was in four days a week 10-4. :no: We had about three 'breaks' and spent a lot of time doing group work.
Reply 13
Just to give the other side of what DancinBallerina has said (for anyone applying for social work in the future) - I didn't have any academic qualifications related to social work, I had a levels in history, english lit, latin and biology. I was still offered a place at the University of York and graduated this summer. I think they take every case on its own merits, don't let anything put you off if you want to do social work. There were also plenty of mature students, students with no A levels, students with little experience, a proper mix at York. If anything, I think they care more about your experiences - personal and work - than your academic background.
Reply 14
Hi there,
Be gentle on me as this is my first post.
Is there anyone doing the Social Work course at any of the Manchester/Liverpool/Stoke unis that could tell me about the timetable there. I am considering applying but really need to keep working (18.5 hrs per week) at the same time, which I would be able to squeeze in to 2/2.5 days per week. Just wondering what others experiences are.
Thanks folks.

Latest