The Student Room Group

Pass Plus.

Hey, I've just got a few questions about this pass plus business.

First of all. Anyone who has done it, could you tell me how much your insurance premiums dropped upon completing the course? Was it substantial enough to be worth it?

Also, how much is the course? I gather that there are 6 modules, and each one can take a minimum of 1 lesson to cover... so is that 1 lesson just a 1 hour lessons that is charged at your instructors regular price? For example, my lessons were 20 quid each when learning, would it then be 120 quid if I were to take one lesson per module?

Another thing is some of the modules themselves. For example, since it's summer, and night driving is one of the modules... would my night module take place at like 10pm :s-smilie: Do instructors do that? And what about the "all-weather" driving module? Do I have to wait until december/january to take that module so I can experience ice and snow etc?

Thanking you in advance,

Mush.

EDIT: I've just read that some modules are covered in theory only if you are unable to get practical experience... as would be the case with night and all weather modules. But I'm still interested to hear about the finances required to fund Pass Plus, and also how much of a benefit people have experienced with regards to premiums?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Meh, I couldn't be arsed at all, doesn't lower your insurance most of the time... stupid myths
Koconut
Meh, I couldn't be arsed at all, doesn't lower your insurance most of the time... stupid myths

no of course it does u idiot, dont just start throwing around false facts.

Anyway. Iv done pass plus, my insurance was supposed to be £2100 with direct line, but i saved 10% doing it online, and you get a further 20% for doing pass plus. And the great thing is you can take out your policy and do pass plus later and they will still 'refund' you the difference.
Btw im fully comp, male, 18 and got a clio.

Just find your cheapest quote and see if they accept pass plus and what the discount is

most of the big companys will accept it but they dont like to advertise it as much as its less money for them, its always best to google/ring the companys to see what the discoutn is because it varys alot

if you do your pass plus in a day (like me) i done 6 hrs, wales and back, covering most parts of the course but you probz have covered alot of the things already in your lessons (eg night driving, bad weather) but if you didnt/dont the instructor just has to explain it to you as some things are unplanable(if thats a word)
I did it, it was fairly good, but not fantastic. As for insurance premiums, let me quote the Swift website:
Swiftcover do not offer a discount for pass plus holders due to the fact our rates are already so low. To get a car insurance quote click here.

:mad:
lol thats why its always best to check with your cheapest quote before taking the course

anyway if you can afford it id reccomend it anyway for the experience
Reply 5
The Apprentice
no of course it does u idiot, dont just start throwing around false facts.

Anyway. Iv done pass plus, my insurance was supposed to be £2100 with direct line, but i saved 10% doing it online, and you get a further 20% for doing pass plus. And the great thing is you can take out your policy and do pass plus later and they will still 'refund' you the difference.
Btw im fully comp, male, 18 and got a clio.

Just find your cheapest quote and see if they accept pass plus and what the discount is

most of the big companys will accept it but they dont like to advertise it as much as its less money for them, its always best to google/ring the companys to see what the discoutn is because it varys alot

if you do your pass plus in a day (like me) i done 6 hrs, wales and back, covering most parts of the course but you probz have covered alot of the things already in your lessons (eg night driving, bad weather) but if you didnt/dont the instructor just has to explain it to you as some things are unplanable(if thats a word)

How much did it cost you for your 6 hours? Did you just do it with the same instructor you took your lessons with? Was it charged at the same rate as normal lessons? Did you use a company or independent instructor?
My instructor charged me £20 per hour instead of £16, but he said that this was only because of the increased fuel consumption due to motorway driving etc. Fair enough, really.
I think you only get a discount if you have your own policy, when it will be much cheaper to be a named driver with your parents owning the car, although don't quote me on that, I could be wrong.

It's got to be at least 6 hours, I did 7 because the motorway bit took two hours - but check your instructor can do it because not all of them can.
Reply 8
I did Pass Plus, received no discount on insurance, company gave same reasons as RightSaidJames.

Only did one further lesson with driving instructor, a 2 hour motorway session. We'd done night driving and foul weather driving in normal lessons [my 17th was in November - first lesson was in pitch black, with ice on the road and sleet coming down - fun!].

Some insurance companies give discount, some don't... It's worth finding out first if yours will, or just sticking to one that does.

IMO, Pass Plus didn't give me anything extra, it just settled my mum's nerves about me driving on a motorway :rolleyes:
Its not true. The savings are negliable or non existant. Just have to build up a no claims
Mush
How much did it cost you for your 6 hours? Did you just do it with the same instructor you took your lessons with? Was it charged at the same rate as normal lessons? Did you use a company or independent instructor?

i was charged £22 ph, normally £20ph but you use more petrol so i guess it makes sense.
Reply 11
it would of cost be £60 to do and checking with insurance would if saved me £20 so wasnt worth it in my case. this was 3 years ago tho
dont do it for cheaper insurance

do it because it gives you more skills and experience meaning youir less likley to die. passing your driving test is like meaning that your ready to start learning. if you value your life then do it.

my friends insurance company discount it as a 1 year no claim discount
Frankly didn't bother.

All these things of "It builds experience..." - you can build the experience up yourself, without having to fork out money for it.

Night driving - done that [1am from Bristol to my home...a 2hrs30 drive...]
All weathers - well, aside from snow...done that.
Dual carriageways - part of my test route.
Motorways - did that like the week after I passed cause I had an open day in Swansea to get to...
Town driving - I do that every day to get to and from work.
Country roads - there are plenty of them round here. It's almost unavoidable to not use them at least once.

So, I saved myself some money. As for my insurance, it wasn't all that bad to begin with. It was like £1000...or so my mother kept saying.

I like how the pass plus site claims motorways are like no other roads. I think they'll find a motorway to be a dual carriageway, with an extra lane; the middle lane is hogged by middle-aged men, in big cars, doing under the limit, but never moving back into the outside lane; the inside lane is for boy racers and young guys with fast cars; the outside lane is for those of us with no rush in life. That's all you need to know. =/ £20? For that? I think not.

Who cares about my premiums? I'd have spent £20/hour, on what my instructor claimed was a 9 hour course, just to get a £100 discount. I think not...
CatatonicStupor

Who cares about my premiums? I'd have spent £20/hour, on what my instructor claimed was a 9 hour course, just to get a £100 discount. I think not...

surely cos of the WAG, its only £20 for the whole pass pluss thing for us in wales though?
Reply 15
CatatonicStupor
I like how the pass plus site claims motorways are like no other roads. I think they'll find a motorway to be a dual carriageway, with an extra lane; the middle lane is hogged by middle-aged men, in big cars, doing under the limit, but never moving back into the outside lane; the inside lane is for boy racers and young guys with fast cars; the outside lane is for those of us with no rush in life. That's all you need to know. =/ £20? For that? I think not.

In fairness, that's not all there is.

Driving on a dual carriageway is easy, because if you're in one lane, there's only side direction cars could be coming at you from. If you're on a motorway with 3, 4 or even 5 lanes of traffic there could be 6 or 7 cars, HGVs, motorbikes... all moving sideways at different speeds but at the same time, and they can look like they're converging on you.

If you've never experienced anything other than a moderately busy dual carriageway, that can be daunting.

Not everybody has your 'zen master' approach to driving...
Drewski
Not everybody has your 'zen master' approach to driving...

:cool:

WelshBluebird
surely cos of the WAG, its only £20 for the whole pass pluss thing for us in wales though?

As much as you keep bringing it up whenever you and I discuss Pass Plus, I still think a lot of the stuff can be done without the need for a tutor. After all, how did people's parents manage? Did they think "Oh no! A motorway! I'd best get a train instead..." :rolleyes: I may, as Drewski so nicely put it, seem calm and collected about it all, but there's nothing to worry about with driving. The people who worry are pulling problems out of the air, so, as far as I can see, passplus is just something created for those who think driving is an uphill battle where everyone is out to get them.

[Also, "P plates" are a good example - people put them on, because they know if they make a mistake, the driver behind will see the P-plate and think "Oh. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt..." - people can't hide behind P plates and insecurities forever. They're going to have to hit the road, like adults, and flip everyone off, honk their horns obscenely when they get cut up, and swear like a sailor whenever someone does something minutely wrong...]

Remember kids, Pass Plus or not - When you're on the road, it's never your fault. It's always the fault of the guy in front/behind/who cut you up/who wasn't going fast enough etc etc.
While I agree you can get the experience with out it, I personally think for us in wales at least, it kinda makes sense to spend the equivalent of one extra lesson to get the experience with an instructor with you. Plus, most of the time, you will save more than £20 on your insurance.
killainmanila
Its not true. The savings are negliable or non existant. Just have to build up a no claims

Why do people feel the need to make up 'facts.' I've never understood it.

Yes, of course some companies don't offer you the discount, but thats like complaining every time asda has an offer on biscuits. WTF HASN'T SAINSBURYS GOT AN OFFER ON BISCUITS AS WELL!?!?!?!

In reality, many insurance companies offer huge reductions.

I'm with direct line and if you are 17 to 21 (and take pass plus within a year of passing) you get a 20% unquestionable discount. My insurance would have been £1600, because of pass plus I got it down to £1280. So the course will cost me £132, and I save almost £200. Negligable? I don't think so.

Not to mention that you get experience on motorways and in adverse conditions (usually although not always, you can't guarantee rain etc). The experience is invaluable.

If that isn't enough then certain councils are offering it for free and many are subsidising the course;

http://www.passplus.org.uk/sponsors.asp

So for all the doubters, maybe think before posting, I'm going to take my 6 (effectively) free hours of lessons and my £200 and be a considerably better driver for it. How can there be a valuable argument against it?
TommyWannabe
Why do people feel the need to make up 'facts.' I've never understood it.

Yes, of course some companies don't offer you the discount, but thats like complaining every time asda has an offer on biscuits. WTF HASN'T SAINSBURYS GOT AN OFFER ON BISCUITS AS WELL!?!?!?!

In reality, many insurance companies offer huge reductions.

I'm with direct line and if you are 17 to 21 (and take pass plus within a year of passing) you get a 20% unquestionable discount. My insurance would have been £1600, because of pass plus I got it down to £1280. So the course will cost me £132, and I save almost £200. Negligable? I don't think so.

Not to mention that you get experience on motorways and in adverse conditions (usually although not always, you can't guarantee rain etc). The experience is invaluable.

If that isn't enough then certain councils are offering it for free and many are subsidising the course;

http://www.passplus.org.uk/sponsors.asp

So for all the doubters, maybe think before posting, I'm going to take my 6 (effectively) free hours of lessons and my £200 and be a considerably better driver for it. How can there be a valuable argument against it?

Its a lie and you know it, stop misleading the op

Quick Reply

Latest