The Student Room Group

Advice needed from current physics students :)

Hi guys, I'm currently finishing a degree in music and am starting a physics degree with a foundation year in 8 weeks time. I'm just looking for a bit of advice from current physics students (particularly on a foundation year). I basically need to get myself close to As level in maths, physics and further maths before I begin. I've already worked through about half of As maths but still need to do the rest. My uni has told me to concentrate on the maths, especially integration and differentiation before I start. So just making this thread to see if any current physics students have any idea of the number of hours it should take to get up to scratch (aprox obviously) and any recommendations on books to get or ideas on learning it all etc. Cheers guys :biggrin:

EDIT: If this needs to be in the A level section then sorry, just thought I would be best off to ask current physics students.
SpunkyMonkeys
Hi guys, I'm currently finishing a degree in music and am starting a physics degree with a foundation year in 8 weeks time. I'm just looking for a bit of advice from current physics students (particularly on a foundation year). I basically need to get myself close to As level in maths, physics and further maths before I begin. I've already worked through about half of As maths but still need to do the rest. My uni has told me to concentrate on the maths, especially integration and differentiation before I start. So just making this thread to see if any current physics students have any idea of the number of hours it should take to get up to scratch (aprox obviously) and any recommendations on books to get or ideas on learning it all etc. Cheers guys :biggrin:

EDIT: If this needs to be in the A level section then sorry, just thought I would be best off to ask current physics students.

Look at the syllabus as set by the exam board - it should list the differnt types of differentiation you need to to. I'd do some basics (it really will vary how long this takes you to learn - it's completely dependent on your ability), then do past papers; they really are the best way to perfect your skills, but only once you know the basics!
I would just work through the calculus and algebra sections of A level maths books (IIRC they are called core maths now, rather than pure maths), learning partial fractions etc.
Reply 3
Well, you say that you need to be learning further maths as one of your three. Remember that further maths comprises of the maths modules. Thus you will need A2 Maths and probably AS Further Maths. I would suggest that you concentrate on Pure Maths and Mechanics rather and leave out Stats and Decision Maths.

Of all the topics in Pure Maths, Differentiation and Integration needs to be quite fluid.

Latest