The Student Room Group

Things you wish you were told at the beginning of your AS/A2 year

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Well....
I have just been put off starting my A Levels..

I will go find myself a job in the nearest supermarket and be done with it.
Reply 61
that this subject is a waste of time as you dont do anything and unis look down on it
Reply 62
trance addict
Haha legend, getting repped for that.

Also im taking D1/D2 in year 13 :s-smilie:

Cheers :biggrin:

I feel your pain with the decision maths. I'd have much rather done M3 anyday. Even S3 would've been preferable.
Reply 63
i wish i didnt underestimate myself and applied for better uni's that i realise now i'm very capable of getting into :frown:
Riolent Vapist
Have a laugh, make friends, go out and get hammered and play some sports. Don't worry too much as you will still get at least ABB.

I'm sorry, but this is a complete lie. I've worked my ass off, and could easily end up with ABB.
-G-a-v-
Don't worry about them. They're not hugely difficult (I only did AS btw) but we did a lot of them. If your board does a practical exam it's a favourite for practical exams apparently. I got lucky in my AS practical and get an enthalpy change haha.

lol, I've finished A2's now lol. Just glad I don't have to ever think about them again. I managed my practical fine, but someone else in the class took about 5 attempts to get it done right.
Greatleysteg
* do homework
* try
* AEAs exist
* Private/Grammar schools are miles better. We're actually failing you
* there's this great website, www.thestudentroom.co.uk
* If you went elsewhere, you could have done more subjects
* there's such a magical thing as the International Baccalaureate
* you can apply to American universities from the UK, you know. And they give you money.

Really I have never heard of that website :eek: , hehe seriously it is so good.
You hate Law don't take it.

Photography is a useless course for what you want to do and you're in no way interested or any good at it so don't take it and do something more interesting like History or Politics.

Revision is indeed necessary to succeed at A level, you can't coast through them like at GCSE and for the love of god do practice questions and homework during the year!!!
-G-a-v-
If you're doing Maths and Further Maths, you can probably expect to do at least one module of decision maths. The amount of time spent on decision maths will be directly proportional to how much of your soul will be destroyed during studying said module. Also, you will actually have to revise for it unlike just knowing how to do questions like in other modules.

For chemistry....if at first you don't succeed, titrate and titrate again. I've not done chemistry in 2 years but I could still probably do a titration with my eyes closed because we did quite a lot of them.

AGREED. Decision Maths is truly evil. But just get through it and then you can get to the good maths!

And as for chemistry.... yes!!! Multiple titration is the only known cure for failure in chemistry.
U'll have to study, u know! :smile:
-G-a-v-
Cheers :biggrin:

I feel your pain with the decision maths. I'd have much rather done M3 anyday. Even S3 would've been preferable.

No I actually like decision maths, hence wanting to do a comp sci degree. Also I was thinking of taking Phil, and if I don't I won't extend it past AS :biggrin: (master of blag.. well let's see if my results dictate I am :p:)
purple-girl

"Biology is great

Lies :p:
trance addict
No I actually like decision maths, hence wanting to do a comp sci degree. Also I was thinking of taking Phil, and if I don't I won't extend it past AS :biggrin: (master of blag.. well let's see if my results dictate I am :p:)

I wish I had the option of doing the decision modules lol. Would have been much more interesting than M1 and S1.
Reply 73
Saffie
Psychology is a waste of an A Level. Do english or something that'll mean you can study more subjects at uni instead.

I did both and tbh I cant see how doing Psychology meant I couldnt do a certain subject at uni :confused: it doesnt close doors to any subject.

OP - never do maths, even if your life depended on it!!!
"You know, your French teacher's ability to get you through exams is even worse than her ability to speak English".

That simple truth would have saved our class a hell of a lot of hassle.
Reply 75
DannyBoy123
If you nail AS then A2 will be a piece of piss...

That's true to a ridiculous extend. I did well in my AS French, which is easier than A2, so I only need Cs in these exams to get an A. That said... A2's so damn hard that I could still miss it!
trance addict
I actually like decision maths

WTF? :eek: i didn't know there were people who would say this without a gun to their head lol
Metal_Gear

-What subjects were considered worthy for certain institutions.

:yep:
I just thought of another one, more personal to me but would have been useful nonetheless.

"Brogan, I KNOW your drama teacher's name is Stu, but when you have the witty idea to make his name into a pun and start referring to him as Dumpling, do NOT say it to his face. He WILL tell you to ****** off, and WILL loathe you for the entire course."

If only I'd been warned. Perhaps then I wouldn't have spent so much time hiding in the lighting box after being yelled at, "DON'T CALL ME DUMPLING!"

Still, the memories are worth it :')
Reply 79
the library is the coolest place to hang out.
do work in your 'free' periods.
the librarians purpose in life is to stop you talking and take your money.
buy a stapler and hole punch and a really big folder to keep everything in.
the deli makes amazing sandwhiches.
look at as many unis as possible, starting as early as possible.

Quick Reply

Latest