The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Peanut42
Not sure if it's been said before, but for Classical Civ you don't need any specific A-levels, just show your interest through your PS, as you said the area you live in has inspired you, definately mention that!

Oh and Rubicon (I've just finished reading it!) is a great book for an introduction to the Romans, it's well written and really accessible.

Oh and join our society!

Ah, how could I forget that all-important detail -- yes, please join: we're nice! :yep:
Reply 21
jismith1989
I recommend highly as general introductions to Graeco-Roman history and society: These Were The Greeks and These Were The Romans.

Thanks, they look like they will be an interesting read!

Do you know of any good beginners latin/greek books too?
Reply 22
Castelbajac

Not sure about Latin as I learnt it at school, but I have a book called Greek to GCSE that's pretty good, I could go and find the author if you want.
Castelbajac

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Independent-Study-Guide-Reading-Latin/dp/0521653738/ref=pd_sbs_b_8

I wouldn't get too ahead of yourself though: it's best to do preliminary reading in the history, culture, literature side of things than language -- as it will most probably be much easier to absorb in a classroom/lecture/tutorial environment anyway.
You're officially a member of the Classics Society now!

We organise quizzes, which helps to memorise information, and just generally discuss Classical topics (and badgers apparently! :eek:). Here's the thread link if you want to join in the fun: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=605460
Reply 25
Peanut42
Not sure if it's been said before, but for Classical Civ you don't need any specific A-levels, just show your interest through your PS, as you said the area you live in has inspired you, definately mention that!

Oh and Rubicon (I've just finished reading it!) is a great book for an introduction to the Romans, it's well written and really accessible.

Oh and join our society!

There's a society?!:eek:
21:13
There's a society?!:eek:

Yes, please join!! The link is in my signature at the top of this page. :p:

We hold quizzes and all sorts of Classical fun and games. :yep:
Reply 27
Peanut42
Not sure about Latin as I learnt it at school, but I have a book called Greek to GCSE that's pretty good, I could go and find the author if you want.

That's alright, i've seen that book before on amazon! I think I remember it having really good reviews... Thanks!
Reply 28
jismith1989
You're officially a member of the Classics Society now!

We organise quizzes, which helps to memorise information, and just generally discuss Classical topics (and badgers apparently! :eek:). Here's the thread link if you want to join in the fun: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=605460

Badgers? Bodger and Badger!!

Also, thanks for the book links! I just wanted to make sure I knew the greek alphabet - I won't go too deep!
Castelbajac
Badgers? Bodger and Badger!!

Also, thanks for the book links! I just wanted to make sure I knew the greek alphabet - I won't go too deep!

Ah, well the Greek alphabet is in the appendix at the back of the These Were The Greeks book I mentioned. :yep:
jismith1989
:yep: (And she got into Warwick, which is rated very highly for Classics.)

How do you know I'm *hopefully* going to Warwick - or at least got it lol?!

Anyhoo - any sort of book on the subject is good - I've just read Terry Jone's Barbarians which is interesting as it looks at the people outside rome and what they thought.

Personal Statement wise - I opened with a quote about history and talked about how my interest started and stuff I've done - and sorta related it - its all about selling yourself! :biggrin:
Reply 31
jismith1989
Yes, please join!! The link is in my signature at the top of this page. :p:

We hold quizzes and all sorts of Classical fun and games. :yep:

Will do! Though I'm more of a Latin fan rather than Classics :p:

I like the fact that you are in a garden :smile:
Reply 32
Check out the Classical Studies course at st andrews. It gives you the opportunity to take beginners latin and greek alongside studying classical literature etc.
Sugar Mouse

Anyhoo - any sort of book on the subject is good - I've just read Terry Jone's Barbarians which is interesting as it looks at the people outside rome and what they thought.

Personal Statement wise - I opened with a quote about history and talked about how my interest started and stuff I've done - and sorta related it - its all about selling yourself! :biggrin:

It was in your profile! I'm no stalker, honestly. :p:

Ooh, I might have to buy that book -- just because I love Monty Python, and by extension Terry Jones! :yep:

By the way, would you like to join the TSR Classics Society? We hold quizzes and all sorts of Classical fun and games -- as well as just generally discussing whatever we feel like. :p: Here's the link: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=605460
Will do! Though I'm more of a Latin fan rather than Classics :p:

I like the fact that you are in a garden :smile:

A garden? Je ne comprende pas. :p:

And I'm looking forward to seeing you over at the Classics Society!
Reply 35
You really are shamelessly plugging the Society today!

chester, pretty much every uni that does Classical Studies gives you the opportunity to study them from scratch, in fact you can even do it at Oxbridge!
Reply 36
jismith1989
A garden? Je ne comprende pas. :p:

And I'm looking forward to seeing you over at the Classics Society!

French too?! :love:
Peanut42
You really are shamelessly plugging the Society today!

chester, pretty much every uni that does Classical Studies gives you the opportunity to study them from scratch, in fact you can even do it at Oxbridge!

I'm just bringing people to the light, it's my duty. :yep:
Reply 38
Sugar Mouse

Thanks! I have loads of experience business wise, like jobs, work experience and competitions.

I suppose I will be able to put a slant on it to make it relevant (albeit at a stretch)

Good luck for the 14th!
French too?! :love:

:biggrin: Je peux parler français aussi, oui. I'm trying to improve at the moment over summer actually.

Latest

Trending

Trending