Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

what is US GPA equivalent to a 2:1 UK Degree?

Announcements Posted on
Are you at uni? Can you help prospective students with their questions? We're looking for uni forum assistants 19-11-2014
What are your mock exam revision tips?! Share them with our year 10 & 11 students! 19-11-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to know what US gpa is the equivalent of a First in the UK.

And the equivalent of a upper second class (2:1)?

Thanks guys.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Generally it's around about 3.4 - 3.7 / 4.0 - 4.3. The lower figures corresponding to each other. Universities make rough translations of them and more competitive universities can raise the equivalency slightly on occasion. That is a rough approximation but serves as a good guide.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was under the impression that a GPA of 3.2 - 3.8 is equivalent to a 2.1...but i guess its only just a ball-park figure
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    I was under the impression that a GPA of 3.2 - 3.8 is equivalent to a 2.1...but i guess its only just a ball-park figure
    It's all so approximate anyway. Especially since there is no stand in terms of marking. In Canada, for example in Nova Scotia they use a maximum grade of a 4.3 so a B works out as a 3.4. Now that would be a 2.1 (ball-park). Elsewhere - say Ontario, they have the standard 4.0 as a maximum grade. If we all used percentages it would be somewhat easier.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    IB recruitment sites - ask for min 2.1 uk /3.2 gpa(out of 4). So I presume industry eq 2.1 = 3.2
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oriel historian)
    If we all used percentages it would be somewhat easier.
    No argument there! Although obviously degree requirements vary considerably between institutions let alone nations :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can't make a simple translation. Degree classes and GPAs, due to the quality of different institutions and the structure of the courses, hold more or less weight across different schools in the same country. That's why US institutions place a large degree of emphasis on standardized tests to evaluate candidates for graduate places. They also look closely at class rank.

That said, the Cambridge summer school I worked at as a resident tutor offered a rough translation for the predominantly American clientele. Though it was two years ago, I remember the numbers as something like: 58-61=B, 62-64= B+; 65-67= A-; 68-70=A; 71+= Strong A.

I got a First on Part 1 of my tripos and a 2.1 on Part 2, scored 68.5 as an average mark over three years, and wrote GPA 3.7 (Approx) on my US PhD applications. I got into all schools I applied for.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am want to know how it is translated too...

somebody told me 1st = GPA 3.6/4.0, dunno if true...
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhangyuzhi)
    I am want to know how it is translated too...

somebody told me 1st = GPA 3.6/4.0, dunno if true...
    Well Oxford ask for 3.7 as the equivalent of a 67, so I'd say that's an underestimation.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexAquifolium)
    Well Oxford ask for 3.7 as the equivalent of a 67, so I'd say that's an underestimation.
    Same with Cambridge. 67 seems to be the mark they're looking for to let you continue at that university for graduate work.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    arrr~ thanks for clarification. I am happier now....lol

do they take the uni into account too? e.g. graduating from a top uni vs. from a not as prestigious one...

thanks.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bret)
    Same with Cambridge. 67 seems to be the mark they're looking for to let you continue at that university for graduate work.
    Precisely. So on that scale I would have thought a first would be a 3.8 or so? :confused:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    RHUL state a GPA of 3.2 for all courses and their normal requirement British degree wise is 2:1 (with no mark specified)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexAquifolium)
    Precisely. So on that scale I would have thought a first would be a 3.8 or so? :confused:
    Yes, which would seem to back up the scheme above which states anything over 67 is an A. Further, remember that lots of people who score a mean of 68 or more have a few exams under that mark--and therefore at A- standard--the US equivalent could perhaps be 3.8 or even 3.7. It's pointless really trying to convert it since there are so many logical ways of doing it, even with a scale like the Cambridge summer school gave.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There is no real standard. Different British universities ask for different GPAs and different universities, faculties/colleges even, translate different marks to be different things. In contrast to the
    58-61=B, 62-64= B+; 65-67= A-; 68-70=A; 71+= Strong A.
    that Bret mentioned above, when my UK marks were translated back home only a 70+ was an A. The conversion scale used was thus:
    90-100 A 1st Class Honours
    80-89 A 1st Class Honours
    75-79 A 1st Class Honours
    72-74 A 1st Class Honours
    70-71 A 1st Class Honours

68-69 A- Upper 2nd Class Honours
    65-67 A- Upper 2nd Class Honours
    61-64 B+ Upper 2nd Class Honours
    60 B+ Upper 2nd Class Honours

59 B Lower 2nd Class Honours
    55-58 B Lower 2nd Class Honours
    51-54 B- Lower 2nd Class Honours
    50 B- Lower 2nd Class Honours

49 C+ 3rd Class Honours
    46-48 C+ 3rd Class Honours
    44-45 C 3rd Class Honours
    41-43 C- 3rd Class Honours
    40 C- 3rd Class Honours

39 D+ Pass (i.e. without Honours)
    38 D+ Pass (i.e. without Honours)
    37 D Pass (i.e. without Honours)
    36 D Pass (i.e. without Honours)
    35 D- Pass (i.e. without Honours)

34 F Fail
    1-33 F Fail
    0 F Fail
    It isn't a real science though, and there certainly is not a set standard. When this issue has come up on here before it's been more or less agreed (with good reason for once) that it is far easier to get an A than a 1st, and quite a bit easier to get a 2:1 than a B-.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I also agree it really depends from uni. I would say that a 2.1 is between 3.0 and 3.7, as I have come across unis who ask for GPA of 3.0 and other unis like St. Andrews who ask for 3.6, if I'm not mistaken.
Updated: July 31, 2008
New on TSR

A-level mocks revision

Chat about your study tips

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Postgraduate Education Guide

Quick Link:

Unanswered Postgraduate Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.