The Student Room Group

Exactly how much more difficult are A-Levels than GCSEs?

Hi,

I was just wondering about how much more difficult the A-Levels are than the GCSEs. I'll be doing Maths, Physics, Geography and Chemistry. I've been told that I'll be given 'Bridging The Gap' books for the sciences and I've borrowed textbooks for the other two (but haven't read them yet, LOL). Are the A-Levels much more difficult than GCSEs and do I need to do some preparation over the last few weeks of summer?

Scroll to see replies

Well with those GCSE's I wouldn't worry :smile:
Don't worry about preparing beforehand - if you do want to though just read a few things in an A-level text. Yes they are more difficult than GCSE, but i'm sure you'll be able to cope :wink:
Reply 3
Not much harder, but you need to realise, there is going to a big step. You have much more freedom with your A-Levels so unless you dont abuse this freedom you should find it ok
Reply 4
How long is a piece of string?

It depends how much your work. Obviously the content goes much deeper, but then again, your doing subjects you enjoy, so yeah, it depends.
Reply 5
xxstace123xx
Well with those GCSE's I wouldn't worry :smile:

How kind of you. Thanks. :redface:
OL1V3R
How kind of you. Thanks. :redface:

No problem, :biggrin:
as long as you put the effort in, it'll be fine. there's harder work, and more to learn, but you're doing fewer subjects at A-Level, so there's plenty of consolidation.
Reply 8
Slight thread hijack, but are any of those 'bridging the gap between GCSE and A Level' books actually worth the money?
You're also doing 4 subjects rather than 10+

If anything I found Alevels more relaxed than GCSE's but that's probably more because I changed as a person in that way
Very doable if you choose the subjects you're naturally talented/best at.
Reply 11
They are significantly harder, even though GCSEs seem hard at the time.
GCSE's are a large, 10 inch chocolate chip cookie.A-Levels are the same cookie, condensed to a 5 inch cookie, and all of the chocolate chips are spread out so the cookie itself is now made out of chocolate.

The A-Level cookie is smaller and more condensed, so you need to put more effort in to digest it, but the reward you get when you've tasted it is something far greater than the mediocre but large taste of the GCSE cookie.

I want a cookie.
Reply 13
Ramadulla
Very doable if you choose the subjects you're naturally talented/best at.

You haven't even done your GCSEs yet...
Reply 14
Not harder just more advanced.
OL1V3R
Hi,

I was just wondering about how much more difficult the A-Levels are than the GCSEs. I'll be doing Maths, Physics, Geography and Chemistry. I've been told that I'll be given 'Bridging The Gap' books for the sciences and I've borrowed textbooks for the other two (but haven't read them yet, LOL). Are the A-Levels much more difficult than GCSEs and do I need to do some preparation over the last few weeks of summer?

As difficult as you make them.

And no. Enjoy your summer. Start learning in school.
DaveJ
You haven't even done your GCSEs yet...

Well, sue me :tongue:imp:! But I know my stuff :yep:.
Reply 17
wanderlust.xx
GCSE's are a large, 10 inch chocolate chip cookie.A-Levels are the same cookie, condensed to a 5 inch cookie, and all of the chocolate chips are spread out so the cookie itself is now made out of chocolate.

The A-Level cookie is smaller and more condensed, so you need to put more effort in to digest it, but the reward you get when you've tasted it is something far greater than the mediocre but large taste of the GCSE cookie.

I want a cookie.

But the chocolate isn't the best bit! :frown:

I'm guessing that I'll cope better with AS/A Levels because there are only four subjects, and I've picked them all too.
:tongue:imp:
This much harder ---> <---

Quick Reply

Latest