The Student Room Group

Another clearing thread (Sorry!)

Well like most, i am worrying about clearing.. but for totally different reason to others.
I planned a holiday half a year ago for ibiza 12th August to the 20th. I had no intention of uni again (i dropped out this year, was in love with the uni and a few other things). Obvoiusly i want to go back but to another uni, i have all my grades and thought i wouldnt have to go through clearing (this was mid june) i rang my referee and he said as i dropped out i would have to wait and go into clearing. So i did, realising the date of clearing just a few days ago i started to panic. Theres only 2 unis i REALLY want to go to, while i remain confident on my grades. The worry is i'm in ibiza, as i read through the UCAS site it states either ring or email... So i'm going to email them while i'm ibiza.

Two worries here, the fear of being at the back of the queue and the other is, what do i say in the email, i tried to google it... for advice on what to write. As i'll compile and prepare everything now for clearing.

So, any help or idea of what to say in this email?

Many Thanks
Reply 1
clearing was few days ago??? are you sure?? i swear it after results day :s-smilie:
Reply 2
i_<3_you
clearing was few days ago??? are you sure?? i swear it after results day :s-smilie:

yes it is, i meant i found out the exact date a few days ago...
Reply 3
Just call from Ibiza, it may cost a lot but you'll find out quicker and it'll show more devotion to your course...

:clip:
I'd speak on the phone. Much easier to have a conversation about what you want to do which might need several emails to get adequate replies/understanding. Have all the information you might need (UCAS number, your Track details) and be prepared to make some big decisions on the phone.
That said, don't rush decisions. You can always phone them back later.
Reply 5
paperclip
Just call from Ibiza, it may cost a lot but you'll find out quicker and it'll show more devotion to your course...

:confused: how long are the calls! as id have to top my phone up immensely for that call!

i'm rlly panicking about it now :woo:
Reply 6
everglide
:confused: how long are the calls! as id have to top my phone up immensely for that call!

Call from a landline in Ibiza, payphone or hotel phone?

Reply 7
paperclip
Call from a landline in Ibiza, payphone or hotel phone?

Hope that'll be possible, any one know how long these calls roughly take?
everglide

You shouldn't panic about it, but the advice you have received is quite appropriate. You should plan to be making potentially many telephone calls to UK universities in the clearing period - the more successful you are the fewer the calls, obviously.

You really can't conduct clearing by email. Expect the calls to last for quite a long time (rather than a minute or two) as people are sought and found, finish a previous phone call, look up information, read your UCAS personal statement and application etc while discussing your application with you.

You could make arrangement, before going, for your international calls to be cheaper, or buy some local telephone calling cards.
Reply 9
everglide
Hope that'll be possible, any one know how long these calls roughly take?

Depends on the university, you'll probably be on hold for a while as hundreds of others will also be calling.

Try to stay home, because if they ask you to pop in for a face to face interview, you're ****ed.

Reply 10
yea but i already have all my grades so surely i can get hold of them before grades are released? right?
Reply 11
Im in the same situation! but im going away the evening of the 14th. I also have my results (im actually a graduate already so have degree results aswell). I will be able to talk to the university i hope to go to on the day but im just wondering whether it will be an ongoing process? has anyone been through clearing before? how long does it take to arrange, is it a matter of hours or days?! im really worried about this as im desperate to get on this course!! also how long does it take to get ur clearing passport through? i only finished my ucas application last night but should i get it soon??
123lauz123
Im in the same situation! but im going away the evening of the 14th. I also have my results (im actually a graduate already so have degree results aswell). I will be able to talk to the university i hope to go to on the day but im just wondering whether it will be an ongoing process? has anyone been through clearing before? how long does it take to arrange, is it a matter of hours or days?! im really worried about this as im desperate to get on this course!! also how long does it take to get ur clearing passport through? i only finished my ucas application last night but should i get it soon??

There's no definite answer to most of those questions, a university may accept you quickly "yeah, send us your clearing passport" or may even call you in for an interview. If you impress them then it should be resolved on the day. You'll have to post your clearing passport to them but i think being at home's important as it's easier for them to communicate with you.

You should get your clearing passport soon, or on results day, as you have no offers so ucas know you're going straight into clearing.

Your university will ask you to explain why you're doing the subject as a second degree or transferring so get explanations ready. They'll also wanna know what you already know about the subject (background reading, etc).

Latest

Trending

Trending